1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Gary W. Graley, Mar 12, 2016.

1. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    That's easy....BOTH! :D

Blue Sky and Gary W. Graley like this.
  2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I have heard more than one person comment that the Peak 2 was like a modern 110.
    Congrats on your new Peak2. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
    Lookin' good! :thumbsup:
    There's somethin' beautiful about a well used knife.

@cbach8tw Put that Patriot to work and post up some pics.

A pic because this thread needs more pics! :D
    [​IMG]

Gary W. Graley, HFinn and dc50 like this.
  3. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    Not that the Peak was not sharp as it came, but I still stropped it just for fun. Damn it's sharp now. The steel seems to respond well to stropping and the good geometry helps. This is a serious tool and looks good at the same time. I have handled one version of the new Buck 110:s, those light versions and I must say I like this more.

Wish I had another filler plate, though. Quess I have to make one to fill the clip side.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  4. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Tried stropping my two handed Peak on cardboard, did okay, but still not a great edge yet. W
    I'll try my diamond whet stone, the maybe my strop bat. Any ideas to get the edge better?

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
  6. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
  7. flatblackcapo

Mar 25, 2012
    Maybe get some diamond stropping compound for stropping. I use the diamond compound applied to copy paper pulled tight over the Washbord or a balsa wood strop. The Washboard is the cool invention of @HeavyHanded a long time Bladeforums member.
    Here is a vid that shows how to use it.

dc50 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  8. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks.

9. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    mine is as thick as my peak. Around same as what that guy has.
    I though it was normal. On one side the bevel is bigger than the other. I thought maybe it will sharpen out, but that bigger side stayed larger.
    I still like the knife. it gets very sharp and holds edge good for sandvik and it's still very slicey. I'd get another one, but I am just into different kind of knife.
    I like the little ghost face on the scale though :)
    [​IMG]

This pic shows the grind thickness better.
    https://i.imgur.com/reQfRPY.jpg

Mo2, dc50 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  10. Dangerously

Dangerously Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Well, the manly Canada site restocked s90v wasps, and I asked by email if they were 2019 stock. So, I have one on the way! Can’t wait to try it out.

11. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Got an orange Comrade in cpm 154 coming. Got it off the site recently.

12. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Working on a couple of sheaths today and having to cut through 4 layers of leather the Wasp was a slicing rascal!
    G2

13. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Gary the Wasp has to be one of the sharpest knives out of the box I've had in more than 20 years. :thumbsup:

Dean51 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  14. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Gary, your Wasp is S90V, correct? How hard is it to sharpen? That is why I went for the Sandvik steel in my Wasp, good edge, easy to sharpen and meets my needs.

15. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I’ve only had to touch it up but it wasn’t difficult to do
    G2

dc50 likes this.
  16. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks.

17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016

Warning :explicit language:swearing... But you'll want to see.

18. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Interesting, folks may want to jump to the 6 minute mark to get to the start of the talk and yes, thanks for the warning! You will want to keep that volume down for sure ;)

Sharp knife right! :)
    G2

Mo2 and dc50 like this.
  19. Dangerously

Dangerously Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Got the 2019 s90v wasp today. Beefy knife, for a slipjoint. The 4 stops are interesting: I’m glad I saw a picture of the shape of the cam and the backspring, it explains why the stops are of different strength and snap.

The tip is very close to being proud, just below the g10 scale by less than a millimeter. I doubt it will sharpen proud, as s90v is some wear resistant stuff. I’ll shave down the spine a bit if it’s required when that happens, in 2050. It doesn’t grab my thumb if I run it over the area, so nothing to worry about, really. Just noticed it was close.

The grind is subtly hollow and very thin. Love it. Came sharp enough I didn’t think of touching it. That’s unusual for me. The blade does not press down into the blade well, because of the stop pin.

It’s left square on many edges, not rounded all over. So it feels a little blocky. But not uncomfortable.

Cant wait to use it more.