Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Peak 2, the two handed opening model. It feels like a much more expensive knife! The lock is very solid, opens smoothly and I just can't find any flaws. It came very sharp too. I took the clip off and hang me, but to me this feels like a "modern traditional". I plan to smooth the G 10 a bit. This is actually quite classy knife for the price.

k41TbJq.jpg
I have heard more than one person comment that the Peak 2 was like a modern 110.
Congrats on your new Peak2. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
I don't have a Patriot but the wasp earns it's keep. Make that Patriot pay for itself. :D
3YeLQ34.jpg
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:
There's somethin' beautiful about a well used knife.

cbach8tw cbach8tw Put that Patriot to work and post up some pics.

A pic because this thread needs more pics! :D
46361705721_fbdb81deae_h.jpg

Not that the Peak was not sharp as it came, but I still stropped it just for fun. Damn it's sharp now. The steel seems to respond well to stropping and the good geometry helps. This is a serious tool and looks good at the same time. I have handled one version of the new Buck 110:s, those light versions and I must say I like this more.

Wish I had another filler plate, though. Quess I have to make one to fill the clip side.

Tried stropping my two handed Peak on cardboard, did okay, but still not a great edge yet. W
I'll try my diamond whet stone, the maybe my strop bat. Any ideas to get the edge better?

Tried stropping my two handed Peak on cardboard, did okay, but still not a great edge yet. W
I'll try my diamond whet stone, the maybe my strop bat. Any ideas to get the edge better?
Maybe get some diamond stropping compound for stropping. I use the diamond compound applied to copy paper pulled tight over the Washbord or a balsa wood strop. The Washboard is the cool invention of @HeavyHanded a long time Bladeforums member.
Here is a vid that shows how to use it.

They went above and beyond twice to fix the problem after he posted it on ig.
mine is as thick as my peak. Around same as what that guy has.
I though it was normal. On one side the bevel is bigger than the other. I thought maybe it will sharpen out, but that bigger side stayed larger.
I still like the knife. it gets very sharp and holds edge good for sandvik and it's still very slicey. I'd get another one, but I am just into different kind of knife.
I like the little ghost face on the scale though :)
MI9IxQ0.jpg

This pic shows the grind thickness better.
https://i.imgur.com/reQfRPY.jpg

I’ve only had to touch it up but it wasn’t difficult to do
G2

Interesting, folks may want to jump to the 6 minute mark to get to the start of the talk and yes, thanks for the warning! You will want to keep that volume down for sure ;)

Sharp knife right! :)
G2

Got the 2019 s90v wasp today. Beefy knife, for a slipjoint. The 4 stops are interesting: I’m glad I saw a picture of the shape of the cam and the backspring, it explains why the stops are of different strength and snap.

The tip is very close to being proud, just below the g10 scale by less than a millimeter. I doubt it will sharpen proud, as s90v is some wear resistant stuff. I’ll shave down the spine a bit if it’s required when that happens, in 2050. It doesn’t grab my thumb if I run it over the area, so nothing to worry about, really. Just noticed it was close.

The grind is subtly hollow and very thin. Love it. Came sharp enough I didn’t think of touching it. That’s unusual for me. The blade does not press down into the blade well, because of the stop pin.

It’s left square on many edges, not rounded all over. So it feels a little blocky. But not uncomfortable.

Cant wait to use it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back