Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Daniel, the Wasp is tough to beat edge wise for sure, I was using the Drugar this morning making some paracord key chains to take to the Lewisburg knife show next weekend and so sharp, pops the paracord like a razor.

And the thumb, it's quite a bit better, but every now and then I snag something directly onto the center of the wound and am reminded of the damage, otherwise the healing is a great deal done, amazing how we can recuperate from such things, time is key ;)

G2

Love the Manly knives from what I've read here and have the Wasp in S90V on the way.

Would also love to order the Peak but one thing that bugs me:

Coming from Germany I would prefer the 2 hands version so I can carry it without worries but I prefer the
geometry of the one hand version which has a full flat grind and is therefore a better slicer. The two hands version reaches it's
maximum thickness around 3/4 up.

This review also states that the OHO is the better slicer: https://bladereviews.com/manly-peak-review/

"Both knives cut cleanly, although again the original Peak was a slightly better slicer due to that full flat grind."

Maybe it's not that big of a difference but now I'm torn between the two Peaks. :)

Last edited:
Got my wasp last week. Haven't used it yet.
My only issue atm is the knife came in a bag in the mail with a picture of a knife on it. I mean... I don't want someone to see that and steal it cause they know what's in the bag.

Love the Manly knives from what I've read here and have the Wasp in S90V on the way.

Would also love to order the Peak but one thing that bugs me:

Coming from Germany I would prefer the 2 hands version so I can carry it without worries but I prefer the
geometry of the one hand version which has a full flat grind and is therefore a better slicer. The two hands version reaches it's
maximum thickness around 3/4 up.

This review also states that the OHO is the better slicer: https://bladereviews.com/manly-peak-review/

"Both knives cut cleanly, although again the original Peak was a slightly better slicer due to that full flat grind."

Maybe it's not that big of a difference but now I'm torn between the two Peaks. :)

I feel the same way but for different reasons. I took an interest in the two hand Peak until I saw the saber grind. I tried a saber ground Benchmade once, sold it. A lot of people like the hole in the blade on the one hand peak but it reminds me to much of spyderco.

In the mean time I have two Wasps and the Comrade so I'm good to go.
Maybe Manly will someday change the two hand to a flat grind. Hint :)

I have the two handed Peak, I thought the edge was a little thick, is it just me? I am not the best sharpener, but I cannot seem to get a good edge. A full flatgrind on it would make it better. I like the edge of my two Comrades.

Just got my Drugar in 154 CPM, the handle ergonomics are nice. Anyone know what the word "Drugar" means? Any comments on usage or abliltu to keep an edge?

Last edited:
I got in a hurry and ordered from the Bulgarian site before I realized there was a us site. (Me just being in a hurry and not any fault of their's)

How long do you think I might wait or will they just cancel my order?

I have the two handed Peak, I thought the edge was a little thick, is it just me? I am not the best sharpener, but I cannot seem to get a good edge. A full flatgrind on it would make it better. I like the edge of my two Comrades.

Just got my Drugar in 154 CPM, the handle ergonomics are nice. Anyone know what the word "Drugar" means? Any comments on usage or abliltu to keep an edge?

I got to handle the full flat ground Peak at the Lewisburg PA knife show this past weekend and it does have a thinner profile/edge grind than the two handed version, I'll get one of those one day I think, felt like an excellent cutter. But the two handed version cuts well for me as is, I use it a lot on food actually and cardboard at work.

If you want to send yours to me and include return postage I'd be willing to try and put a nice edge on yours for you.
G2

I got to handle the full flat ground Peak at the Lewisburg PA knife show this past weekend and it does have a thinner profile/edge grind than the two handed version, I'll get one of those one day I think, felt like an excellent cutter. But the two handed version cuts well for me as is, I use it a lot on food actually and cardboard at work.

If you want to send yours to me and include return postage I'd be willing to try and put a nice edge on yours for you.
G2
I just may take you up in that. That is nice of you, PM me your info and what shipping back to me may be. At least we can try, it is D2 and I like the overall feel of the knife, meant for business.

My Drugar has a different word on it, (Wanger)I got mine from that place named after a river in South America with lots of jungle, so I wonder if mine is from a European or Canadian distributor.

Last edited:
I got cbach8tw's knife in this morning and started sharpening it, I noticed that the edge had some wobble along it's bevel, which of course would make it difficult to try and sharpen if you are not getting the edge fully apexed. That's taking some time right now as the steel is 1.2379 and is pretty tough stuff. The side with the Manly logo needed more steel removed in order to get the edge apexed, but she'll be fine and sharp once done and heading back home on Monday.

Now, this is not something that I would say is typical from Manly nor is it unique to Manly as I have had many knives that arrived to me in similar condition, where the edge was 'sharp' but trying to maintain it once dull you needed to really set the bevels properly, which takes time and most factory knives do not have that time to spend, which is unfortunate as that is what we expect to get, but with any knife, they will become dull with use and everyone needs to learn how to maintain. Once the bevels are set you can keep them sharp using the Spyderco Sharpmaker and a strop, but those won't do the grunt work of the initial apexing of the bevel. So I would recommend sending to a pro sharpening guy or learning how to sharpen knives yourself. I'm not a pro but I do alright ;), so check out guys like

Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble
@razor-edge-knives

G2

I got cbach8tw's knife in this morning and started sharpening it, I noticed that the edge had some wobble along it's bevel, which of course would make it difficult to try and sharpen if you are not getting the edge fully apexed. That's taking some time right now as the steel is 1.2379 and is pretty tough stuff. The side with the Manly logo needed more steel removed in order to get the edge apexed, but she'll be fine and sharp once done and heading back home on Monday.

Now, this is not something that I would say is typical from Manly nor is it unique to Manly as I have had many knives that arrived to me in similar condition, where the edge was 'sharp' but trying to maintain it once dull you needed to really set the bevels properly, which takes time and most factory knives do not have that time to spend, which is unfortunate as that is what we expect to get, but with any knife, they will become dull with use and everyone needs to learn how to maintain. Once the bevels are set you can keep them sharp using the Spyderco Sharpmaker and a strop, but those won't do the grunt work of the initial apexing of the bevel. So I would recommend sending to a pro sharpening guy or learning how to sharpen knives yourself. I'm not a pro but I do alright ;), so check out guys like

Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble
@razor-edge-knives

G2

Yeah, I wouldn't fault Manly too much for a wonky bevel. Nobody's immune to it. Some are better than others, but I've seen wobbly edges from all of the major manufacturers. Anytime a belt grinder or wheel is being used to set the bevel, which is really the only way to do them efficiently, you're going to run into inconsistencies.

The worst/best I've ever seen was from Boker on an Urban Trapper. It was actually quite impressive. I'm not even certain how they pulled it off, but it looked like there was some chatter to whatever abrasive implement they used. So it ended up with this stuttering micro-seration all along the edge. It sliced like nothing I've ever used, but wouldn't even snag a beard hair.

You are welcome, glad it got back safely to you
G2

Showed our machine shop supervisor the Wasp today, when he checked how thin the blade was ground, he was a pretty impressed, one heck of a cutter !
G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back