Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, maybe they might do that on the folders too. One day I'll get a Peak in S90v too but for now, the Wasp is an exceptional cutter!
G2

I was familiar with that from my Comrade folder days, for me, I like the difference from all other folders out there ;)
G2

Sharp in Red...note that the jimping on the spine was by my own hand using a cut off wheel and Dremel power tool...

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Nice work on the jimping, Gary. The pic isn't half bad either.;):D:thumbsup:
Does Manly still make the Comrade ? I have looked around a bit but haven't seen any.

The Peak is still going strong.
47232323172_91ed108360_h.jpg

Thanks, I don't know if there is any place that you can get a Comrade any more, Lubo would be able to let us know if there are any units left to get, maybe back in the shop a few stragglers may be found?

And yes, that Peak is really nice, handled the one at the Lewisburg PA knife show back in Feb, felt to be a great slicer right there!
G2

PM Comming your way :D
Thanks, Dave, got it.

Thanks, I don't know if there is any place that you can get a Comrade any more, Lubo would be able to let us know if there are any units left to get, maybe back in the shop a few stragglers may be found?

And yes, that Peak is really nice, handled the one at the Lewisburg PA knife show back in Feb, felt to be a great slicer right there!
G2
Thanks, Gary. I'll tag Lubo and see what he has to say.
As you already saw, you can't go wrong by grabbing one of the OHO Peaks. While some of the honeymoon magic has worn off, I have got to the point that I am able to carry another knife every once in a while but the Peak is still my most carried modern folder by far.

Lyubomir Trayanov Lyubomir Trayanov
Hi Lubo, is Manly still making the Comrade? I have not seen them on the US site.

I was also curious about these more traditional models too.
Does anyone know if Manly still makes these "series" knives or will make them again: https://manly-bg.com/catalog/887_category.html

Hi, if anyone is interested I filmed a factory tour at Manly it can be seen at the link. BTW before anyone asks, no I wasn't paid in anyway, I did it like most of us here, we r knife nuts LOL. I was allowed to "wander the factory premises" as long as I didn't get caught up in any machinery of course! But my "real job' is a filmmaker. I bought one of their fixed blades prior to and was v impressed with it and "harassed" the owners to come and visit them, one thing led to another then it was out with the camera LOL.

Thanks, Dave, got it.

Thanks, Gary. I'll tag Lubo and see what he has to say.
As you already saw, you can't go wrong by grabbing one of the OHO Peaks. While some of the honeymoon magic has worn off, I have got to the point that I am able to carry another knife every once in a while but the Peak is still my most carried modern folder by far.

Lyubomir Trayanov Lyubomir Trayanov
Hi Lubo, is Manly still making the Comrade? I have not seen them on the US site.

I was also curious about these more traditional models too.

Comrade is still being made.
It was never a big seller in US and we don't have large stock. Normally with each shipments we have couple of special orders of Comrades.
Currently Comrade is available in D2, CPM154 and S90V steels. Please send me a message if you want me to order one for you.

Do you guys think that we should start stocking it here in the states? What steel options?

Hi, if anyone is interested I filmed a factory tour at Manly it can be seen at the link. BTW before anyone asks, no I wasn't paid in anyway, I did it like most of us here, we r knife nuts LOL. I was allowed to "wander the factory premises" as long as I didn't get caught up in any machinery of course! But my "real job' is a filmmaker. I bought one of their fixed blades prior to and was v impressed with it and "harassed" the owners to come and visit them, one thing led to another then it was out with the camera LOL.

Glad you were able to get to do that video, nice to see the place where these are made, a few pages back another guy had posted your video but good to put a name with the work :)

I am making my bobtail fobs that slip onto the clips of the Wasp and the Peak folders, since there isn't any lanyard holes to utilize, they work pretty well and aid in drawing the knife from the pocket.

With the head of the screw there, it helps keep the bobtail fob at the end of the clip

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

It was never a big seller in US and we don't have large stock. Normally with each shipments we have couple of special orders of Comrades.
Currently Comrade is available in D2, CPM154 and S90V steels. Please send me a message if you want me to order one for you.

Do you guys think that we should start stocking it here in the states? What steel options?

There's a couple changes I would make to the Comrade that might make it a bit more U.S. friendly.
My Comrade has become a favorite woods, boat and work knife but not a favorite EDC.

The first would be to lighten up the spring so it opens as easily as the wasp.

A deeper nail nick would also be a very nice addition. The original nick is just to shallow to be used as a nick and that made it a pinch open only knife. To have the option to pinch or use the nick would be a very nice touch.

The other change I would make is to smooth out the handles the scales are just to rough. The texturing on the Wasp is perfect. Otherwise the handle shape is perfect no matter how you are holding the knife.

CPM154 and S90V would be my steel picks. Your D2 is excellent but it is right between CPM 154 and S90V. So I would drop the middle D2 offering.

Thank you Lubo for the fast reply. I will be sure to send you a message when I am ready to order one.

Manly Canada has comrade in stock. If there's an issue with sending to us from the site, I can help you out if needed.
Thank you, that is very kind of you. I will keep you in mind if I run into troubles with ordering one.

I was so sad to find out that the one handed peak is no longer available in Canada. I have a wasp now as I wanted to try out the brand, but I am definately interested in the Peak. Maybe Manly would be able to ship it, blade and handle disassembled, to stop any overly ambitious customs folks from taking it. It must be hard to be a knife seller in Canada now with all the unclear regulations. I believe that a one hand open lockback would be very safe to ship, and would not be seized my customs. They are only really concerned with flipper knives.

Feeling Manly this morning ;) well, not hard when you have this many on the table, three of them belong to a fellow forumite that he sent in for some help with the edges, I noticed that his two Comrade folders have different nail nicks than each other and also the texture of the scales are much different from the original Comrade that I had owned a few years ago. His knives are the two Comrades and a Patriot, mine are a Peak, Wasp and a Drugar.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on FlickrG2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back