Manufacturing Origin

Just seeing if there's a list of manufacturers and where they're headquartered out of, and where they have their products produced from. I know it's a complicated matter, we are in a global economy after all. Cars, even more so, now that Hyundai BMW Honda rolling out of factories here meanwhile Chevrolets and Fords coming from across the border

Just seeing what big companies produce affordable knives in the states besides Buck

Last edited:
Are you looking for makers who only offer US made knives (Benchmade, CRK) or makers who make US and overseas (like Spyderco)?

I have real issues with knives made outside their makers country.
I want my Italian knives made in Italy by Italians .
I want my Japanese knives made in Japan. My USA knives ..... etc etc.

Most things I don’t care overly where they are made, although I do do try to buy home produced stuff if I can.
But knives or other things I’m passionate about I like them to be produced in their home country, and I’m happy to pay a bit extra if need be.

sorry I’m digressing a bit , I can’t help you with your list sadly

I have real issues with knives made outside their makers country.
I want my Italian knives made in Italy by Italians .
I want my Japanese knives made in Japan. My USA knives ..... etc etc.

Most things I don’t care overly where they are made, although I do do try to buy home produced stuff if I can.
But knives or other things I’m passionate about I like them to be produced in their home country, and I’m happy to pay a bit extra if need be.

sorry I’m digressing a bit , I can’t help you with your list sadly
Exactly this. Not exclusively US, but just looking for a short cut instead of looking up each and every model. I guess it adds to the thrill of the scavenger hunt

You also have to remember that manufacturers sometimes change where they have their knives made. For example- although Benchmade currently makes all of their knives in the US, they used to produce some knives in Taiwan. So if you bought a Benchmade knife second hand believing that they are all made in the US, you might receive one made in Taiwan.

Buck
KA-BAR/ Becker
Kershaw
Zero Tolerance
Spyderco
Benchmade
ESEE
Spartan
Ontario
Case
Bear & Son
Emerson
SOG
Gerber
TOPS
Chris Reeve

To name just a few of the manufacturers that are USA based and produce knives in the USA.

I'll add just because that list is US based and they do produce some US made products some of those companies do have lines produced elsewhere. Buck, Ka-bar. Kershaw, Spyderco, and Gerber I know right off the top of my head that have overseas produced products. Just to muddy the waters even more.

I think there is a book you can purchase that lists this but I'm not sure what country it is printed in.

Most reputable manufactures will list the country of origin on their website and mark it on the packaging. If you're looking for a person to do all the homework and list everything for you good luck.

Some name brands it seems change ownership about yearly so a current list would be difficult to keep on track. There are still some good ole reliable manufacturers with a long history but the list is much shorter than 20 years ago.

Exactly this. Not exclusively US, but just looking for a short cut instead of looking up each and every model. I guess it adds to the thrill of the scavenger hunt

There aren't all that many companies who produce all of their knives in the US.
Even Buck has some which are made overseas.
If you are really serious about country of origin, I see no way out of checking each model before you purchase it.

TOPS Knives is really serious about all their stuff being made in the USA.
If you like the knives they offer, you don't have to worry about anything not being USA made.

Buck
Kershaw
Zero Tolerance

To name just a few of the manufacturers that are USA based and produce knives in the USA.
Kai USA is US based, but the parent company "Kai" is in Japan. I wouldn't call them a US company.

Kai USA is US based, but the parent company "Kai" is in Japan. I wouldn't call them a US company.

True, but they do produce at least a few Kershaw knives in the US. And I think that all the ZT knives are made in the US.

My little list wasn't manufacturers that ONLY made knives in the USA, simple a few of those whose product line included USA-made models, as Neo said.

Ontario's Old Hickory line with 1095 blades and hickory handle slabs, is all made in USA. I don't know about the modern "Sani-Safe" line.
Russell Green River's old timey carbon steel knives with wood (hickory?) handle slabs are made in USA, so far I know.
I believe Utica makes most of their current kitchen and tableware/flatware offerings in the USA. I don't know about the modern folders they have.
Bear and Son are made in USA.
Grohmann is based in Nova Scotia, Canada, and makes all their knives there.
Colonial are (allegedly) all made in USA. (however, no one but the employees at the plant, and upper corporate management know the location of the plant, and all are sworn to secrecy. The penalty must be pretty severe ... worse than mere loss of employment, I'm guessing, since no one is talking.)
GEC is all USA, but they are not a "large" manufacturer.
Zippo-Case, of course. I don't believe they have any products made offshore. They may get some components from offshore suppliers (brass, nickel silver, bone, pearl/abalone, horn, some woods, and other cover materials, simply because they are not produced domestically) but their knives are all USA.
Onida? I don't know where they are made or headquartered.

OP, In addition to the three car manufactures you mention in post number one, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Fiat, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Porsche, and British Leyland/Land Rover, among others, have assembly plants in the USA.
I made deliveries to them when I drove an expedited truck. Some of the major component manufactures, such as Zypher (Zeffer? Zepher?) (transmissions) and Bosch (electronics/electrical, brakes, fuel systems, and more) also have plants here. I made pick ups at their docks, to take to "domestic" and "foreign" auto manufacturer's plants located in the USA.

Last edited:
The world has globalized to the extent that in many cases one can not easily claim a company is of any one given nation. Furthermore, even if the company is incorporated in a US State and has it's headquarters there, production can include sourcing from and manufacturing in many countries.
At this point I don't really worry about "Country of Origin" unless it's an authoritarian dictatorship adversarial to the United States and it's allies where 80% of the companies are State owned, controlled or influenced. But this is a political reason, having nothing tp do with quality, technology, price, etc.

The world has globalized to the extent that in many cases one can not easily claim a company is of any one given nation. Furthermore, even if the company is incorporated in a US State and has it's headquarters there, production can include sourcing from and manufacturing in many countries.
At this point I don't really worry about "Country of Origin" unless it's an authoritarian dictatorship adversarial to the United States and it's allies where 80% of the companies are State owned, controlled or influenced. But this is a political reason, having nothing tp do with quality, technology, price, etc.

This.

Back