Marbles brand knives

I have several Marbles brand knives and some are from China and one is made in Pakistan. I recently bought a Plainsman Gamegetter fixed blade and both the box and the literature inside says "made in Gladstone, MI USA".

I also have a Marbles Game Getter (two words) trapper with an inlay of the old game getter gun, and it has no markings at all to say where it was made either on the knife or the box.

Would that be enough to believe that it was made in the USA also? It just seems strange that they would be making knives in three different countries.:confused:

Marbles outdoors imports a line of budget folders from China (and apparently Pakistan too). I have a couple of those, and the quality (fit, finish, edge) are amazingly good for the price. The nice packing (boxes and soft cases) is a nice bonus.

The traditional marbles fixed blades are USA made. The price reflects that, and they are not nearly as affordable as the imported folders. The ones I have looked at always looked good.

I assume this is the trapper you have: http://www.davesknifeworld.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13193
I don't know where those are made. Contact Marbles to find out for sure.
http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/marbles/aboutus.html

Yes, that's the exact knife that I have. It's in a box with a "fitted", felt lined insert.

The ones from China that I have seem to be real nice knives, but the one made in Pakistan really pales in comparison as far as fit and finish goes. Had I know where it was made before ordering it, I wouldn't have.

Thanks for the links.

Marbles outdoors imports a line of budget folders from China (and apparently Pakistan too). I have a couple of those, and the quality (fit, finish, edge) are amazingly good for the price.
I don't have any experience with Marble's folders but I ordered one of their "made in china" hatchets not long ago and was extreamly disappointed in the quality. The head wasn't even vaguely sharp, and required extensive amounts of tedious re-profiling with a file before I could even start with the whet stone, and the wood used in the shaft could be referred to as marginal at best. :grumpy:

I do have one of their made in USA fixed blades, that I though was very well assembled and finished so I guess their products are kind of a mixed bag. :confused:

I've also looked at the combination knife/hatchet, but I decided that it would be pretty useless. I do like the China made folders though. Beautiful finish and come sharp as a razor.

The folder that was made in Pakistan is the "stag handled damascas" lockback. The fit and finish on it is pretty crude and you would have to heat up butter, before you could cut it with that one.

I have several Marbles brand knives and some are from China and one is made in Pakistan. I recently bought a Plainsman Gamegetter fixed blade and both the box and the literature inside says "made in Gladstone, MI USA".

I also have a Marbles Game Getter (two words) trapper with an inlay of the old game getter gun, and it has no markings at all to say where it was made either on the knife or the box.

Would that be enough to believe that it was made in the USA also? It just seems strange that they would be making knives in three different countries.:confused:

Marbles doesn't make folders and never has. Your trapper was either made by Queen cutlery or is an import. Queen made folders for Marbles for a fairly short time about 3 years ago. Those were overpriced and didn't sell well. The imports are quite common. I don't know enough to tell you which yours is. I'm sorry. However, I don't think that you can make a judgement on the country of origin simply because of a lack of markings.

Marbles doesn't make folders and never has.

2901272565_5cff8275de_o.jpg

That was made in a Marbles factory?

Yes, it was. To quote from LG4, page 346: "The pocketknives shown in this catalog (ed. note: 1908), with the exception of the Safety Hunting Knife, were contract knives." Thus, the Safety Hunting Knife was made by Marble's in the Gladstone plant.

There have been reports over the years of large numbers of Marble's-made folders being destroyed for not meeting Webster Marble's specifications, though no definitive proof exists.

Guys, I appreciate the correction. Then we'll have to say that Marbles doesn't currently make folders. Take care.

Back