MARBLES Camping Camp Axe #10

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post and was hoping to find any direction to or info about an old hatchet my friend gave me. I was barely able to make out the makers mark MARBLES Camping Camp Axe #10 after a light sanding. Its quite rusty, cracked handle and i'm going to fix it up and make a new handle. It is 16" bottom of handle to top of head, 5 3/8" from cutting edge to butt, 1.8 lbs, made in usa, has a nail puller on butt. I've seen a few selling for $200 plus but mainly i was drawn to the unique shape of the axe eye - ribbed or fluted, not just oval or tear drop shaped. i was hoping for any info on it or where i might find some, age, production run, versions, anything really.
Thank you (first post so if i'm doing it wrong please tell me )
This isn't my hatchet but its the same - mine is in worse condition...
Vintage-US-MARBLES-Camping-Camp-Axe-10-_1.jpg

I believe the Marbles #10 was produced from around 1916 to 1943. They were available with handles 16”, 20”, and 24”. The 16” seems to be the most common size. The 24” handles are the most scarce and were sold from 1924 through 1943.

The earliest ones have a slightly different/smaller marking with small arrows on either side of the markings.

Original wedge was metal.

The handles are slim and feature a unique goats foot knob. Occasionally you can find replacement handles on eBay. The unique eye shape makes it a bit more difficult to make your own handle but it can certainly be done.

My favorite of the Marbles axe line. I believe they copied the nail puller from the C.A.C. Damascus camp axe which had a very similar nail puller.

Last edited:
Grafton - thank you! I was finding it tough to find any info on this little weirdo. I've seen some bigger and smaller versions of the stamp, mine seems to have the smaller logo but i'm not seeing anything like arrows.
I found a bad pic of one that might have an arrow like you speak of - or something under the U.S.A.
Early-MARBLES-CAMP-AXE-10-Wood-_1.jpg

The Marbles # 10 from my research is basically an imitation of the C.A.C. Damascus camp axe which was available with head sizes ranging from 1-2+ lbs if memory serves and handles from 16-24+

They had a normal eye and the distinct nail pull which Marbles took the liberty of copying along with the head weight and handle length options. These axes inspired me to put together my own camp axe using a TrueTemper 1.25 lbs head and 25" handle from a cut down 28" handle. As it turns out TrueTemper already sold this same basic setup as a No. 0 Boy's Axe.

Many argue that they are silly, but at one time some woodsmen found them handy, I agree.

NwfCXyn.jpg

Were most of the Marbles pack ax size 2 lbs. on a 24-26" haft? I've seen the hatches. DM

No, most are what we would call hatchets size. Hatchets were commonly called axes back then.

I think the #10 on a 24” was the biggest other than the #15 camp axe which was a 2 pound double bit on about a 27” handle.

Last edited:
Those old knob end handles are pretty sweet. I'd try to save it.
I agree, it is cool and feels very nice in the hand despite being a slender handle overall. Mine is just too damaged to use safely - and it shall be used! lol
Im going to try to replicate it as best i can, knob and all!
cheers

Grafton - was hoping you might be able to link me to some online reference information about Marbles Safety Axes, I have a No. 6, but it does not have the cheek stamping. It is old for sure, but I cannot seem to locate any information. Tried to PM you, but apparently Bladeforums has changed a bit since I used to lurk regularly.....cheers D

Sorry, I don’t know much about the number 6. The 10 and the 15 were my favorite offerings of the Marbles line so those are the ones I have researched. Some of the best reference material are old catalog listings. You can find them listed on eBay from time to time and you don’t necessarily have to buy them to get information from them. Marbles axes were sold by a number of outfitters and hardware dealers. Also google books is sometimes useful for finding old ads and articles that may mention an item.

Last edited:
Back