Martial Arts Video?

I really want to learn the israeli self defense system called Krav Maga, the only problem is that i live on the east end of long island, and the closest place to learn it is about an hour and a half away. So, i decided to buy the entire video set for about a hundred bucks and learn it at home. Do you think that i can really learn the system effectively by watching the videos or should i cancel my order and look for a different form of martial arts which i can learn locally? I was also wondering how to select the best martial art form that would be most effective in a life or death situation, and the easiest to learn in the shortest amount of time?
Thanks
Dan

Wow what a cool close combat forum. Do you believe these video's are the best on the market today?
Thanks

DANJ,
There is no substitute for learning martial arts from a qualified teacher and practicing with various people in a class environment. I'm not saying to cancel your order, but unless you are very skilled already, there is only so much you can get from a video. Also, convenience should not be a priority when seeking quality training. The desire to learn should be foremost. My teacher lives in Japan, but the stuff he's got, I wan't to learn so I travel there every year.
I know of some teachers in Long Island. Email me privately if you wish.
FM.

Danj, I believe those tapes are the most useful ones on the market in terms of learning self-defense. The methods given are designed to be easily learned/retained and used under stress.

Rule of thumb: if its too complicated to learn quickly and retain then its too complicated to use quickly under stress.

Close Combat (Combatives) is not a martial art.

Of course not, you won't be able to learn Krav-Maga without a teacher.
First, Krav Maga cannot be practise alone, you need a partner.
Second, when you have a partner, nobody will correct your move and says "hey look at your body, it's badly positionned, like this you're exposed to this, this and that...".

Again, martial arts are not important. Krav MAga is not better than another MA. All the difference is the instructor!
You want something efficiency-related: beside Krav Maga, there's JKD, Kali, Thai boxing, Penchak Silat, Pankido (Europe only), etc.
It's just a question of instructor. One will find a good krav-maga teacher and then stick to KM. Another one will find a bad teacher (and bad is relative... it may ba bad for a student, and good for another one), and in his mouth KM will be crap.

You, we build ourselves our way of fighting. We have to learn from any experience, and most of martial arts can bring you something. If you cannot find this kind of style, no matter, take Karate, Taekwondo, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, anything if you feel that the teacher will bring you something. In Karate you may learn some technical basics, in TKD powerful kicks to the body and hip motion concepts, in BJJ groundfighting, etc.

Take your sport bag and go to the nearest club and try.
Cancel the order (if it's not too late).

Guillaume

PS: i don't mean videotapes are bad... it's a complement when you have reached a level of practise in this style

I agree with James Sass that the Jim Grover tapes are the best commercial on the market for what he said.

ONE MAJOR CAUTION, though, the link that he posted leads to the PAL version of the tapes, which are more expensive and will not play in American VCRs. The tapes are also available in an American format, known as NTSC, or something like that. I know about this because I mistakenly ordered the PAL version of Grover's Situational Self Offense video and had to send it back.

Back