Mashed Cat Sheaths and Genius carry concepts

Hey Everybody, Eric Lind at Mashed Cat Sheaths

I have been talking with Nathan about knife & sheath carry concepts and we both agree that the TekLok is not cutting it. I was hoping to get a plethora of input from all of you on ideas and concepts you have either used or have seen used. The product needs to be practical and robust and hold up to the EDC lifestyle. It would be great if it could be used on fold-over (taco) and pancake sheaths as well.

Any input would truly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

PS: I'd also ask that nothing obviously proprietary to another sheath maker be used unless permissions were granted.
How is teklok not cutting it? I just ordered one from you today and you didn’t mention any issues.

I prefer a fixed location for the EDC 2 sheath so I know where it is when I reach for it. A dangler doesn't do that for me, I tried. My EDC 2 came with the excellent Mashed Cat vertical sheath but I wanted to drop it so the butt was at the top of the belt line. Picked up a AZ Welke for it and made a drop extension out of a piece of leftover KORE belt material with a commercial belt clip as in the pix. If is flexible enough to conform to the body and rigid enough to draw and resheath without wondering where it is. I wanted the scales to fall naturally to the hand very similar to where a gun grip would be. However, sometimes I want to vertical carry at 11:00 on the belt so I made a kydex press and made a sheath and mounting plate with a mini teklock in the pix. EZ to switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. I'm going to do another clip like the third pix for the vertical sheath to tuck it in closer to the belt line although now it's just out enough to give a bit of space between the scales and the belt for a good draw grip. IMG_20201112_233206.jpg IMG_20201112_230736.jpg IMG_20201112_230717.jpg IMG_20201112_233229.jpg

I just got my DEK1 recently, and can't be happier with the knife. It is great to see the sheath option to be expanding. In terms of kydex sheath and dangler option, I quite like what Survive Knife did with their sheath. Hope you won't mind me sharing a few pix here just for reference and discussion purpose:

985AiOa.jpg

VnxHCDc.jpg

1) Versatility and slots
First, I always am supportive of sheath maker making their sheath like an "open platform"--more versatile a sheath is, easier it is for the user to employ/enjoy the knife. Personally, I do favor combination of strategically placed holes and slots, so it could work with all sort of attachment methods(Tek Lok, webbing, molle, third party dangler, belt, etc) Another good thing about slot is you could totally adjust how far down you want the knife to hang/dangle from the belt, which is a beautiful thing.

3JcXNXG.jpg

bj7FXIV.jpg

2) Universal Dangler and option to use belt loop
I think it'd be great to have one dangler to work with most of/all the knives(this one here is alright, since it has snap button and easy to remove from belt). If there are slots on sheath to adjust how far down to dangle, great; if not, I would personally prefer to have the end of pommel ~1"-2" below the bottom of the belt. Unless the knife is really, really short, it's difficult to draw when it is too close to the belt with all the clothing on top.
Of course, if the sheath could work with third party dangler, even better!

atYJb0s.jpg

pFLMn6X.jpg

3) Air channel? Firesteel or even ceramic rod loop?
I haven't done any long term study on how the air channel could help dry the blade. I guess it does depend on the blade steel and how long is the knife--if it is at a much great length, maybe it does help?(since it is may not always be possible to clean the blade dry every time you use it out on the field)

The OFITW(one foot into the wild) from LT wright has a pretty cool feature of having a ceramic rod right on the sheath. Of course, it will be kinda silly to have one on every sheath, but having the option to attach one is not bad either.

Last edited:
I prefer a fixed location for the EDC 2 sheath so I know where it is when I reach for it.

<I cut some words for brevity>

I like your idea a lot. I attempted something similar but didnt have a stiff enough material to succeed.

I especially feel like you regarding the knife being where I expect it to be.

Thanks for the idea. I've got an old 5.11 belt that could easily be scavenged.

I tried some extra 5.11 belt webbing for the drop extension but it was to floppy. I didn't want to cut up or buy scuba webbing so I called KORE and they were kind enough to send an extra scrap piece to fool around with. I knew it worked since I had already had the cutoff from the KORE belt I use wear everyday. After a few days of use it conformed to the curve of the sheath and where I wear it on my hip. So far it's been very satisfactory, has held up well considering I have it on 5 days a week. The material does show some slight wear on the edges wear but with rolling round under the truck, in and out of the shop, and general yard work it's been just what I wanted. I did buy a set of hole punches, well worth it to make exactly the size of neat hole for the eyelets, a drill bit tears up the material and leaves a ragged hole.

Another thing to consider is having a slight angle to the sheath when it sits on the belt. This done when you attach the drop extension to the belt clip. Like a muzzle forward position with a handgun holster. I found that about 20% tip forward right for me. That way the wrist is cocked less on the draw/resheath stroke than if it was a straight drop.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of the UltiClips, specifically the 3+ and Slim 3.3. They have a secure locked position, are vertically adjustable and work great on taco style sheath in a variety of carry positions (ISP, on the belt, etc.)

I wanted to like the Mummerts but they aren’t as secure when pulling the knife out of the sheath. They will stay on most of the time but they slide up a good bit before catching on the thicker edge of material and then giving the needed resistance for the knife to release.

Dear Eric, some thoughts:

I’m very happy to see you asking this question. Although really I prefer leather, my functional needs usually have me choosing kydex, and you create my preferred kydex work.

First thing I do when I get a sheath with a Tek Lok is remove it and throw it in my Tek Lok pile, where it will likely sit with its brethren until after my death. I carry knives all the time for work use and never understood the Tek Loks.

Idea #1)
Bigger knives and smaller choppers I carry in pancake sheaths tucked in my waistband, usually cradled in my shirt so the knife doesn’t fall down inside my pants. It would be nice to have a ball stud (as commonly seen on leather sash carry sheaths) so I didn’t have to use my shirt to hold it up. This really seems to me to be the best, “cleanest,” most functional, most comfortable, actually usable carry method. Any reason why you couldn’t put a ball stud on kydex?

Idea #2)
Knives small enough to fit in my pocket, I carry in my pocket. Those leather pants pocket sheaths that fill the whole pocket work well. How about something like that in kydex?

I do carry your pancake sheaths (sans Tek Loks) in my pockets all the time and that works fine.

Big/heavy choppers (and any knives I don’t want quick access to) ride in a bag in my car or in a backpack. If they’re attached to the outside of my pack, they’re lashed on with paracord through the eyelets.

Whatever the sheath, if I’m actually gonna use it, it has to be comfortable and not feel weird or require bodily contortion to draw. It can’t be getting in my way as I move my body around: twisting, turning, bending over, chopping, etc. I gotta be able to sit in a car with it if it’s attached to me.

The horizontal Dozier sheaths for the CPK EDC’s are pretty good. They ride attached to a belt, but they’re small enough to mostly stay out of the way in that orientation. They facilitate a comfortable draw and they sure do hold the knife securely. I was worried at first that the kydex might be too thin to be durable but it hasn't been an issue (not that I've used the sheath that much). The sheath is uncomfortable to wear when I sit. The balance is not the best, but that doesn’t seem to get in the way of functionality. It’s good, but I prefer to carry my EDC in one of your pancake sheaths, in my pocket.

I like the belt clips made out of bent kydex more than Tek Loks. But I don't use them, either.

Those metal clips seem nice if they are implemented so the knife doesn’t get in the way. For example, if it’s clipped in my pocket, it has to be all the way in my pocket, not with the handle sticking out. Seems like they could work well for inside the waistband. Seems more cumbersome than the ball stud for that, though.

And overall: The simpler, the better. I don’t really need/want screws and moving parts on my sheaths.

There are many fabulous carry ideas and sheath designs out there that excel aesthetically or work in theory, but practically most are a pain in the tuckus to actually carry and work with. Most, for me, are uncomfortable, awkward, and/or get in the way.

Ball stud on a pancake FTW!

Thanks for your awesome work, Eric!

I’m a big fan of the UltiClips, specifically the 3+ and Slim 3.3. They have a secure locked position, are vertically adjustable and work great on taco style sheath in a variety of carry positions (ISP, on the belt, etc.)

I wanted to like the Mummerts but they aren’t as secure when pulling the knife out of the sheath. They will stay on most of the time but they slide up a good bit before catching on the thicker edge of material and then giving the needed resistance for the knife to release.

Did you use the Mummert clip for IWB without a belt, or ISP? They seem secure when used with a belt.

Did you use the Mummert clip for IWB without a belt, or ISP? They seem secure when used with a belt.

ISP. I’m not really big on IWB unless it’s a folder and basketball shorts piddling around the house.

Typically I carry small knives horizontal at 11 o’clock or ISP. I carry medium knives in the 3-4 o’clock area vertically OWB or occasionally ISP if it doesn’t stick out too far.

I made this out of .125 and have it inverted for easy release. It has plenty of tension to keep it on my belt, but enough slack in height to be able to lift up and use my thumb to spread it from the sheath.
It’s very reminiscent of the clips that Kiah use to make for another company back in the day.
B36E0420-6E07-411D-A9B1-8B5E3F04A71D.jpeg 7A27727A-29A0-4934-B3B9-1167D88C4B08.jpeg C7FC5E05-7D49-43B9-911F-63E4D3DC9944.jpeg

ISP. I’m not really big on IWB unless it’s a folder and basketball shorts piddling around the house.

Typically I carry small knives horizontal at 11 o’clock or ISP. I carry medium knives in the 3-4 o’clock area vertically OWB or occasionally ISP if it doesn’t stick out too far.

Yeah I agree the Mummert clips don’t work very well for ISP. I sometimes use them for behind the belt. They only work well for IWB and behind the belt. I have the same preferences for carry as you for small knives; Cross draw at 11 o’clock and ISP. I can get away with carrying the DEK1 ISP with one of Bud’s ISP and a DCC 1.5”. This clip should work with kydex too. Unfortunately the DEK1 is a little too big for me to cross draw carry without printing.
lapqEpt.jpg

How is teklok not cutting it? I just ordered one from you today and you didn’t mention any issues.

I think the TekLok is a great option for quick easy use for multiple carry positions. It works well for many knives and sheaths and is an all around good option for belt carry. Its not that the TekLok is no good, I would like to find other solutions for "skinning the cat". :)

Back