Mass drop knives

Yeah, I've actually been carrying mine a fair bit - it's a decent knife but I still don't like that darn clip. I'll probably give the knife a brushed finish (I HATE bead blasted Ti) at the very least.
I’d like to see that brused Falcon when you’re done with it.

Will definitely post pics - I did a practice run on a spinner I had with blasted finish and it came out pretty nice without much effort, with some time and higher grits it should come out great. Just leery of the hardware which folks have said is on the soft side. After that I want to carve out some relief on the presentation side to make unlocking the knife easier and possibly change/mod the clip. Oh yeah gotta knock off the edges on the jimping too, that won't take more than a few seconds.

I was bummed I missed out on the Crux... The Falcon exceeded my expectations and the Gent looks great as well. I was on the fence on the Crux and before I knew it, the drop was over :(. I'm hoping I can find a BF member who ends up wanted to pass theirs along on the exchange for a decent price. Looking forward to seeing the Crux in the wild!

The first Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop Crux units are getting to customers. Early reviews are that the Crux has the same clip problems as the Falcon. I hope Massdrop figures out an acceptable response soon. They've been far to quiet about a problem that's affecting a large number of purchasers...

I got my Crux today. I don't know if there is a clip problem besides the fact I bought a knife with a clearly not useful clip. Rest of it seems fine except the lockbar insert extends a bit beyond the lockbar.

I don't know if there is a clip problem besides the fact I bought a knife with a clearly not useful clip.

It’s most certainly a problem for anyone who needs/uses a pocket clip.
(Can’t tell if you’re being tongue-in-cheek.)

It’s most certainly a problem for anyone who needs/uses a pocket clip.
(Can’t tell if you’re being tongue-in-cheek.)

I mean...the picture of it in someones pocket when I bought it and the pictures of the clip...I knew what I was getting clip wise. Would be nice if they would make a cheap usable one and drop it.

Is there another clip issue besides the design?

My Crux is in transit via blind shoeless children. Estimated delivery 10 days to Utah. But here are a couple shots of my Falcon. My clip hasn't snapped yet, but loosing tension fast.

20i9kc9.jpg

2nlm5x.jpg

I mean...the picture of it in someones pocket when I bought it and the pictures of the clip...I knew what I was getting clip wise. Would be nice if they would make a cheap usable one and drop it.

Is there another clip issue besides the design?
The clip has a very short flex zone...there's a short narrow area that's designed to accommodate most of the movement of the clip. Unfortunately, that flex zone is also a weak point on the clip. At best, it stretches a bit and the clip loses retention torsion. At worst, the clip bends backward at the flex zone and breaks off.

At first I thought most of the complaints were operator error, but the clip on my Falcon has already lost some tension, although it still is mostly functional. The clip problems have been reported to excess on the drop forums, but so far Massdrop and Ferrum Forge haven't offered a substantive comment.

It clearly looks like a design error that someone needs to make right and we're all still waiting. It's a little disappointing to see the same bad clip design roll out on the Crux.

...and just to clarify; clip problems on the Falcon were being reported as early as the middle of September. It seems that there should have been some kind of response, at least to make an adjustment on the Crux before they began shipping last week...

Reactions: Mo2
I wasn't aware of that particular issue...I took the clip off my Falcon because it served no purpose to me.

Which is not to say that I don't like a good clip...I just didn't want to carry a small knife and have it sticking out of my pocket.

I wasn't aware of that particular issue...I took the clip off my Falcon because it served no purpose to me.

Which is not to say that I don't like a good clip...I just didn't want to carry a small knife and have it sticking out of my pocket.
I agree with this and did the same. Seems fine without a clip.

The first Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop Crux units are getting to customers. Early reviews are that the Crux has the same clip problems as the Falcon. I hope Massdrop figures out an acceptable response soon. They've been far to quiet about a problem that's affecting a large number of purchasers...
Im not sure if anyone actually tests knives anymore. They get one prototype and it it cuts paper and opens and closes they ship it. Or so that's how I feel.

My Crux is in transit via blind shoeless children. Estimated delivery 10 days to Utah. But here are a couple shots of my Falcon. My clip hasn't snapped yet, but loosing tension fast.

20i9kc9.jpg

2nlm5x.jpg

These look fantastic (especially that 850 clip) - did you do the work yourself?

My Crux is in transit via blind shoeless children.

Ha! Mine too! Well said.

...The clip problems have been reported to excess on the drop forums, but so far Massdrop and Ferrum Forge haven't offered a substantive comment....It clearly looks like a design error that someone needs to make right and we're all still waiting... It seems that there should have been some kind of response, at least to make an adjustment on the Crux before they began shipping last week...

Agreed. I refuse to do another transaction of any kind with MD until it is addressed. Pitty. I’d have been in on at least one knife drop as well as at least one drop from another category. If you want to build your brand in the knife community, ignoring the early adopters is not the best strategy.

Im not sure if anyone actually tests knives anymore. They get one prototype and it it cuts paper and opens and closes they ship it. Or so that's how I feel.

Remember all those YouTube hacks and their reviews (cough *propaganda* cough) right before/during the drop? It’s not like they had any credibility before their commentary, but I’m rooting for karma to take a big chomp out of their keisters at this point.

I’ve heard of at least two people working on after market clips—I haven’t seen any produced yet.

Reactions: Mo2
I’ve heard of at least two people working on after market clips—I haven’t seen any produced yet.

That would be cool...I haven't had the issues but I really don't like the clip in general. Much more so on the Crux because it's not really drop in the pocket sized anymore.

I think a lot of knife reviewers review in the same way a lot of buyers buy nowadays...use it a bit but mostly just have it to have it then sell it. Not super helpful to people who want to know if it's going to be a good edc or not.

Not super helpful to people who want to know if it's going to be a good edc or not.
My Falcon has a detent issue. At first it turns out I had my fingers on the lock bar, strike one for poor design. Then I was like duh that's why. But even then it was still really hard to flip. So either way the detent is too strong and makes for sore fingers.

the other issue is, if i sell it, the new person doesnt have a warranty anymore because it was bought from massdrop. that and it already has some scratches on it...

i find it really annoying of how easy it is to scratch up. it feels like they just got a prototype and just shipped them without actually putting them through testing. we already have lots of folks scratching them, bent or broken pocket clips, plenty of detent issues etc.

the knife for me is too small, and the problem with the lockbar in the way, having to move fingers and remember every time i want to use it about that. even then the detent is too strong on mine, causing it to not finger flick.

there is zero bevel on the lock bar release area, this is very annoying because its not easy to release in order to close it. i have had over 50 knives in my possession and i only have one other with that issue. so my thumb gets sore from flipping it and closing it.

pocket clip is just bad. there were complaints going into it before it even sold, and then issues after people go them, of which ive already mentioned above. i pre bent mine slightly to reduce any possible issues.

the other thing is the construction of the knife is poor. it started off with locktite that didnt allow me to unscrew the knife,... because it was free spinning, not only on the pivot but the backspacer screw. of which i could only remove one side and not the other. i also stripped a wiha torx driver, and used light pressure nothing more than light. the other thing is, Nick shabazz review of the custom FF knives mentioned free spinning pivots as a gripe, now they outsource to a manufacture that has a capability of fixing that problem, yet they dont take advantage of it.

did i mention its small? did i mention fingers on lockbar is a poor design. its a framelock flipper, this should have been thought out, i have plenty of smaller framelock flippers without that issue, as they were designed correctly. the ergo's are not very good. i have to choke up to get a proper grip. not choking up on the blade choil, its less comfortable.

overall im not a fan of the FF guys, there knives or ideas. they are purely for design/look/image, and they do offer an adequate heat treatment. i mean its just two guys in a shop. i understand, i just think after all is said and done, all the hype surrounding FF is just not for me. cool guys, and they make great videos on yt, and the art they do to the knives is interesting. but im looking for a user knife. i rather go with a spyderco which has been tried and tested for years. something that can actually be used.

anyway, im sure i could go on. but this is the major issues. Overall it looks like they just accepted the prototype as was without any criticism to keep the price low obviously to make some profit of course.

Last edited:
Remember all those YouTube hacks and their reviews (cough *propaganda* cough) right before/during the drop? It’s not like they had any credibility before their commentary, but I’m rooting for karma to take a big chomp out of their keisters at this point.
I don't really blame the knife reviewers. Knife reviews have become highly formulaic. Reviewers have a punch list and a banter pattern that their viewers expect to see. It works well in a YouTube/Social Media environment, but may not always work well for the needs of a real world EDC. Knife reviewers need to keep the channel open and that demands "Likes", "Subscriptions" and "Follows". Really, we're to blame because we expect to hear a definitive opinion on a new blade in a 12 minute sound bite. I think we all know that's an impossible expectation.

I carried my Falcon for almost two weeks without an issue. When clip complaints first started to pop up, I disregarded them and accounted them to operator error. Now, over two months into ownership, I'm experiencing clip problems first-hand. I was wrong in my first take on the clip. I don't know how any reviewer could have caught the inherent design weakness of the clip, but hats-off to any who did.

I don't blame Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop for a flawed clip design. Mistakes happen. Mistakes are more prone to happen when you push the design envelope and do something that most knife makers can't do, as in the Falcon. I would like to see Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop join the conversation and discuss the problem we all see. I'm not looking for an answer at this point. I'd be happy with a commiseration of a common problem and an expression of intent to solve it. The greatest problem has been the deafening silence from the side of the designers and manufacturers.

We Knife Knuts have been left to rumble in discontent, and that's never a good thing.

These look fantastic (especially that 850 clip) - did you do the work yourself?

Thanks. I did do the ano stuff. Not a pro, still learning with each new hack job. I'm just using 9 volt batteries, so each attempt ends up as a shot in the dark in terms of what shade I'll end up with.

Back