massachusetts knife laws

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does concealed carry mean in a vehicle (glove box for example)? Just had a BK2 stolen out of my car in Cambridge and I'm wondering if it's worth filing a report.

Merely being in a car does not make it concealed carry. That definition hinges on the state being able to prove it was within reach of you while you were in the car. If it was stolen while you were not there, it's unlike that will even come up as a subject.

More wondering if I should report it?
Do you live in Cambridge? Do you have a Class A or B LTC (restricted or not)? If the answer to either question is "yes", I would not bother reporting it. The cops at the station will ask you why you are carrying a knife in your vehicle. If you have a LTC and word gets back to the licensing authority (your local police chief), it could get ugly for you. Remember, while FID cards are "shall issue", LTCs are "may issue". All the licensing authority has to do is declare you to be "not a suitable person" and your LTC will quickly grow wings, if you know what I mean. Sure, you could appeal it in court, but judges in this anti-weapon hell-hole of a state always side with the licensing authority's decisions. Besides, the chances of the cops recovering your stolen blade are just about zero.

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is legal to keep a Swiss Army Knife in my car, in particular the Victorinox Rescue Tool:
http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Do-It-Yourself/RescueTool/53900

It is a great knife that has tools that could be used in an emergency situation, such as: seat belt cutter, window breaker, windshield saw, screwdriver, etc.

The only concern I have is that it has a blade is more than 3 inches and it is a lock-blade knife. Would these two features get you in trouble with law enforcement?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer on that.

Thanks!

People believe butterfly knives are illegal in MA. Some online stores wont ship because they consider it a "AUTO". Not sure how that gets misconstrued but no where does it state butterfly or gravity knives are illegal in MA to carry. It would be nice if we could carry auto's assuming our LTC granted it.

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is legal to keep a Swiss Army Knife in my car, in particular the Victorinox Rescue Tool:
http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Do-It-Yourself/RescueTool/53900

It is a great knife that has tools that could be used in an emergency situation, such as: seat belt cutter, window breaker, windshield saw, screwdriver, etc.

The only concern I have is that it has a blade is more than 3 inches and it is a lock-blade knife. Would these two features get you in trouble with law enforcement?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer on that.

Thanks!
Which city/town in MA do you live in or regularly drive through? Boston, Cambridge, Salem, Beverly, Revere and Swampscott have the 2.5" local ordinances WRT blade length. Do you do any fishing? Keep a small tackle box behind your car's seat or in your trunk with your large SAK in it. There are exemptions, even in these jurisdictions, for knives used for sporting purposes.

I live in Westfield and drive to Northampton often.
I don't do fishing anymore. I do however want to keep the knife in close proximity, so that in case something happens, I can reach it and brake the glass, or cut the seat belt. That's the purpose why I bought it.

Does this mean someone can carry an auto knife of any size if they have a Class A LTC?

The LTC's are weapon-specific, either pepper-spray or firearms. They do not apply to knives. And yes, I know, they let you carry a gun but not a stupid little knife with a spring. Such absurd logic is actually more common than not with carry permits throughout the United States.

Does this mean someone can carry an auto knife of any size if they have a Class A LTC?
In Worcester (Police Chief Gemme's bailiwick), the ordinance supposedly allows holders of a Class A LTC to carry a knife over 3", but I would not want to be the test case. Gemme severely restricts LTCs and it would not take much to be declared "unsuitable" and have even a restricted LTC-A revoked by him. Again, I would concentrate on concealment. What LEOs don't know about, they can't hassle you for. Autos and double-edged knives are flat-out illegal (felony) to carry. If you are lucky enough to have a LTC (A or B), you would be foolish to jeopardize it by carrying a knife illegally.

In case of a swiss army knife, a knife is actually one of many tools it contains. Is it still regulated by the same rules?

In case of a swiss army knife, a knife is actually one of many tools it contains. Is it still regulated by the same rules?

Does the blade lock on your SAK? I keep a Leatherman Juice CS4 in the car next to me and the knife blade in it, like many multi-tools, does not lock (although it sort of snaps into place and almost feels as though it locks because of the way it is designed). I'm no expert but I believe the above-mentioned regulations are specifically for locking knives.

Now on a different note (actually the reason I landed on this thread):

I was recently cleaning out some old drawers and discovered this steel bar that used to be used as some sort of mechanical suspension arm in some machine. After handling it a bit I immediately thought this would be a great tactical defense tool or a glass breaker in a sticky situation. It has some solid round ends on either end that I'm sure could crush through bricks or concrete if put to the test, let alone anything weaker. I wrapped some masking tape around the "handle" to have a better grip & IMO this looks & feels like one capable PST (Personal Safety Tool). My concern now is whether or not this would be considered a weapon and if I could get in trouble for having this in my vehicle at arm's reach. I travel through and work right in the city (Boston). Appreciate anyone's opinions, esp someone who works in or has connections with law enforcement in MA. Below are some pictures:

20130220_153639_zps8b914d2e.jpg

20130220_153618_zps32ec53ec.jpg

20130220_153543_zps6b2c7c82.jpg

20130220_153502_zps38b2f132.jpg

Well I know under state law batons are actually legal (unless you are committing a crime or have warrants). I was totally surprised when I found that out from a MA cop! So state law you're good even if this was a purpose-built blunt force weapon. As for Boston, I will have to check back in the books about that unless one of the MA forum members knows from memory.

Well I know under state law batons are actually legal (unless you are committing a crime or have warrants). I was totally surprised when I found that out from a MA cop! So state law you're good even if this was a purpose-built blunt force weapon. As for Boston, I will have to check back in the books about that unless one of the MA forum members knows from memory.

Good to know. It totally does look like an expandable baton although though it's actually one solid piece of steel. I'm just wondering if adding grip to the "handle" makes it look too much like a "weapon." Not like I plan to use it, just there for if a situation should ever arise when it could be needed. Although unlikely, I wouldn't want it to get me in trouble if I was ever pulled over for anything and got the 'ol "mind if I look around the car a little bit.."

Thanks for that link, good resource to bookmark. I wonder if they would consider it a blackjack? By that same token I suppose even one of those mini baseball bats could be considered a blackjack.

Doubt it. Statute uses both the terms "billy" and "blackjack," and makes blackjacks illegal while billies are legal. "Billy" is a legal catchall found is many states that describes rigid "stick-shaped" blunt force weapons akin to those used by law enforcement, which "blackjack" generally refers a short weapon with a soft covering, internal lead weight, and often a flexible handle that is designed to bash people in the skull. The soft covering (usually leather) is so you concuss the brain or joint without causing a visible wound (laceration).

Also you appear to be good to go in Boston: http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Massachusetts/boston/chapterxviprohibitionspenaltiesandpermit?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:boston_ma$anc=JD_16-45

Looks like they only care about edged weapons under the city ordinance.

One last word of caution: If you're stopped by police and actually piss them of enough that they are searching your car without consent (because you didn't voluntarily consent to a search, did you? And you're not already under arrest for some other wrongdoing, right?) you probably have a lot more to worry about than a little machine part that may or may not make a good baton. Never tell the cops what it's for either, because that shows intent.

I usually have my Ontario Rat One on me but if I go into the city I carry my Kershaw 1/2 ton. I have never been stopped for it even though there is a bright red handle out my pocket. If i do get stopped though hopefully me Boy Scout Totin' Chit will help me.

Back