massachusetts knife laws

I'm a former MA resident who now lives in RI. I still go to school in MA so I need to be real careful with a number of laws in a number of jurisdictions and while I have no record, I'm pretty young (I look younger than my age, darned babyface) and tend to have my fair share of run ins with the law. I once had a SOG Twitch II and Smith Pocket Pal sharpener illegally confiscated from my vehicle during a traffic stop in which my car was impounded (failed inspection sticker).

I want a new knife primarily for EDC with a 3.5" or so blade but want to avoid any concealed weapon charges. So I pose the following questions;

Does having a folding knife above 3" clipped to your pocket in the traditional manner constitute concealed carry in either MA or RI?

If I were to get a fixed blade over 3" (got my eyes on a DPx HEST or a Becker BK11) and open carry that in a sheath on my belt would I be in any trouble as long as I stayed out of the 2.5" inch blade jurisdictions?

Basically, how can I legally get away with having a knife over 3" in most jurisdictions of RI and MA?

If I can get away with a 4" folder clipped in my pocket and not be in trouble for concealed carry I'd like to do that. However, if that's not possible I'd like to go with a ~3.25" knife on my belt. These knife laws are useless, I need to move somewhere that'll let me tote any amount of steel I please :grumpy:

I'm a former MA resident who now lives in RI. I still go to school in MA so I need to be real careful with a number of laws in a number of jurisdictions and while I have no record, I'm pretty young (I look younger than my age, darned babyface) and tend to have my fair share of run ins with the law. I once had a SOG Twitch II and Smith Pocket Pal sharpener illegally confiscated from my vehicle during a traffic stop in which my car was impounded (failed inspection sticker).

I want a new knife primarily for EDC with a 3.5" or so blade but want to avoid any concealed weapon charges. So I pose the following questions;

Does having a folding knife above 3" clipped to your pocket in the traditional manner constitute concealed carry in either MA or RI?

If I wer
e to get a fixed blade over 3" (got my eyes on a DPx HEST or a Bectker BK11) and open carry that in a sheath on my belt would I be in any trouble as long as I stayed out of the 2.5" inch blade jurisdictions?

Basically, how can I legally get away with having a knife over 3" in most jurisdictions of RI and MA?

If I can get away with a 4" folder clipped in my pocket and not be in trouble for concealed carry I'd like to do that. However, if that's not possible I'd like to go with a ~3.25" knife on my belt. These knife laws are useless, I need to move somewhere that'll let me tote any amount of steel I please :grumpy:

To the best of my knowledge I don't believe that it being “concealed" or open carry makes a difference in MA, essentially if it's on your person and over 2.5” in. you could technically get in trouble. I wouldn't dream of carrying a knife open-carry such as on a beltloop in MA. Out of sight, out of mind. And try avoid having those run-ins :p

I believe the law clearly states that the knife cannot be modified (waved) in a manner that deploys the blade as it is withdrawn from a pocket or sheath. This is one reason why I have avoided Emerson knives since most of them are waved.

For those talking length issues.. there is NO Illegal length in Massachusetts! THERE ARE several city/towns that have local ordinances... those places are the most communistic and liberal of them all.. As far as a Wave issue I have not seen a problem there either! Now one issue (not an issue if you can afford a lawyer) is "Spring Asst" knives... some towns have decided that the MGL that covers switchblade also covers asst opening knives... I know of one lawyer who has successfully fought that.. but you will still have to fight for your freedom if the place you get caught with one decides it is illegal and a felony.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Now the over 1.5 inch part refers to spring operated knives. Also notice while everything on this list is Prohibited from being able to CARRY it.. it says NOTHING about OWNING them... fun state to live in.. *vomit*

Massachusetts is primarily geared in regard to intent. Ambiguous to allow a great deal of leeway both pro and con. I am curious to read the rest of an old thread and probably have read it in the past. It was really not so long ago that Bucks in pouches and even larger fixed blades were quite common open carry in Boston ('60s-'70s and even into the '80s). Yes, some towns/cities are quite strict about it but I still see a lot of open carry of pouch and fixed blade knives in Massachusetts, not far from larger cities.

The new questions from NEknifedude406 are salient and timely, as I am mobilizing from Massachusetts to Rhode Island myself. I have been a Massachusetts resident since 1969 and the only knife issue was forgetting a large stockman in my pocket when walking into a courthouse. Tagged and released on exit. No big deal. A trunk load of sharpies transfered to a local police station after an accident because I did not want the vehicle to fester in a lot. From daggers to large swords, not an issue and only sympathetic concern and care by the Millbury police, recovered after the hospital stay. Ironically traveling between RI and MA for a show.

When in doubt, talk with employer and local chief of police before carrying a possibly restricted item.

Cheers

GC

So in MA there are no restrictions on length? Because I've always been told the length can only be the width of a persons hand or some bs like that.
As with the wave feature stuff, does that mean this new CS Spartan I just got has to be retired to the safe or can I carry it everyday?
I would also like to point out that I've never really had a problem with carrying a fixed blade in the open. I mean I don't go carrying around a machete but I have a larger sized fixed blade that I carried almost everyday, sometimes even at school, and I never had a problem.
Another good way to not get caught by the law is to... not get involved with the law. As long as you don't go waving a knife around you should be fine.

So in MA there are no restrictions on length? Because I've always been told the length can only be the width of a persons hand or some bs like that.
As with the wave feature stuff, does that mean this new CS Spartan I just got has to be retired to the safe or can I carry it everyday?
I would also like to point out that I've never really had a problem with carrying a fixed blade in the open. I mean I don't go carrying around a machete but I have a larger sized fixed blade that I carried almost everyday, sometimes even at school, and I never had a problem.
Another good way to not get caught by the law is to... not get involved with the law. As long as you don't go waving a knife around you should be fine.

The easy answer is NO there is no STATE wide length limit. But if you read back thru you will see SOME Towns/City have local Ordinances on length.. the bastids.

Keep in mind however that the state of Rhode Island does have a 3" blade length limit regardless of how you carry it.

How about a Victorinox Evo/EvoGrip S54 in the state of MA? It's a locking folder. 2.5 inches. I saw that there is no length restrictions above but the locking mech might be an issue. I find legal crap confusing. Thank your for time, patience, and consideration. specifically. town of Burlington (Middlesex county) area, National Parks. Vehicles.

What I found is in Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, 6, b.

Having a pocket, belt, etc. is almost always illegal. You can't have "a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position". Lock a locking blade. Put it in your pocket. When you take it out, its "drawn at a locked position". Your pocket is the "case" that enabled that.

Many definitions (like “edge” and “dagger”) are missing. I think this law makes transportation of the knives illegal, so you might be able to have them.

Its illegal to “carry” or have in your vehicle these knives:
  1. dagger: A fountain pen is an example of a possible dagger. Its double edged and used to stab and kill.
  2. Any locking knife that can be “drawn at a locked position” (all locking knives)
  3. one that fires a projectile
  4. one with “a detachable blade capable of being propelled” (all utility knives)
  5. double edged
  6. automatic
  7. any knife “having a blade of over one and one-half inches”
  8. It can be used like brass knuckles.
  9. starlike knife (like shuriken)
If you’re arrested, any weapon you have on you is illegal. I think you’d have to be nude.

That law was hard to read because it is redundant and has bad grammar.

Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, 6, b.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter269/section10

Last edited:
, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches,

1.5 inch part refers to spring operated knives
No. All things with a 1.5" blade are illegal.

Everyone I met in Ma has broken the law of Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, 6, b.

Last edited:
What I found is in Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, b.

Many definitions (like “edge” and “dagger”) are missing. I think this law makes transportation of the knives illegal, so you might be able to have them.

Its illegal to “carry” or have in your vehicle these knives:
  1. dagger: A fountain pen is double edged and used to stab and kill. I think its a dagger.
  2. Any locking knife that can be “drawn at a locked position” (all locking knives)
  3. one that fires a projectile
  4. one with “a detachable blade capable of being propelled” (all utility knives)
  5. double edged
  6. automatic
  7. any knife “having a blade of over one and one-half inches”
  8. It can be used like brass knuckles.
  9. starlike knife (like shuriken)
If you’re arrested, any weapon you have on you is illegal. I think you’d have to be nude.

That law was hard to read because it is redundant and has bad grammar.

Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 10, b.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/partiv/titlei/chapter269/section10

A few points about your interpretation of those knives.

1. Why do you mention 'fountain pen' in between 'dagger' and 'double edged'? Are you mixing statutory language with random objects in your line of sight as you type?

2. Very few locking knives 'can be drawn at a locked position'. It's possible that this point refers to devices such as wave openers that allow a folding locking knife to be opened and locked by the act of drawing it from the pocket, but it is also possible that it refers to the extremely rare practice of carrying a folding knife already locked open. In a utility knife holder or something along those lines. This would make some sense if fixed blades are not legal to carry about town, and there is some logic for a state that bans fixed blade carry also banning the carry of folders as though they are fixed.

4. I don't know if you have ever seen or handled a utility knife, but not one of them 'propels' their detachable blades. Their blades detach so they can be replaced, they do not shoot out as a projectile.

If you do not associate with criminals, appear or act like a criminal, or commit a crime it is highly unlikely in most cities and towns that you will encounter a police officer inquiring about your knife in Massachusetts.
If it isn’t a dirk, dagger, stiletto, knuckle knife, switchblade, butterfly knife or straight razor it is not going to raise questions.
Remember what is illegal and what the police think is illegal are two separate things and most police officers have better things to do than shake down law abiding citizens over their pocket knife.
Keep in mind if you are in possession of any knife that appears anything like a weapon during the commission of a crime you’ll most likely be charged with possession of a dangerous or deadly weapon but for the most part in MA, police aren’t stopping people and jamming them up over a modern folding knife that I am aware of.

Last edited:
We can break some of the law because its unconstitutional because of "vagueness doctrine". Cornell mentioned it. Criminal laws must define what is punishable. If I buy a knife that's not advertised as double edged, I have no way of knowing if its double edged. I would need a sharpness tolerance to know what an edge is.

I think everyone I've seen here in Ma has violated this law. I think we should all get punished once with equal jail time and a little bit of civil asset forfeiture. It might help us take our stupid laws more seriously.

Last edited:
S seacucumber you make absolutely no sense in any of your posts.
The poster asked a valid question- your nonsense is going to get this thread locked.

Back