Review Massdrop Ferrum Forge Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD_01

Basic Member
Hi Everyone,

My Massdrop Ferrum Forge Falcon arrived today, so I wanted to give my first impressions to those with interest.

The fit & finish of my sample is very good, close to something like the ZT 0450 or 0900. The exception is ZT’s stonewash of the scales and blade, which is superior to the pure satin blade and light scale blasting of the Falcon. The sale blasting is lighter than CRK’s, and minimal handling has already left some fine snail trails. I’m not bent out of shape over it, but I’ve really barely touched this thing. A stronger scale blasting or stonewash would help bump this knife up a notch.

74600A29-344D-4889-9CC0-3D4A2FC1E311.jpeg

The milling is well done, albeit a bit plain. Fitting and assembly are very good. The the FF and Massdrop logos are clean, even, and nicely executed. I don’t find the writing on the blade nearly as offensive in person as it appeard on line. It’s really not that big of a deal.

The blade grind is very good. Contours on the blade spine are slightly more abrupt than on the ZT’s I mentioned, but they’re not sharp. I think overall, the blade is pretty well done.

The jimping on the flipper tab and spine are PERFECT for my tastes. Aggressive but not overly so. My finger sticks to them like mad, but it’s not uncomfortable

C27890D7-7568-46D4-8560-B4C194F9654E.jpeg

Lockup is early and solid. Detent and flipping action are superb! It falls shut under it’s own weight with just a dab of the wrist-and thats wihout any cleaning or oiling. It came pretty much drenched in light WD-40-ish oil though.

38B1C07C-F9E9-452C-B712-0888F7D5030C.jpeg

The knife weighed 3.6 ounces on my home scale. As others have stated, it feels dense given its size.

Regarding its size, it’s very similar in practical dimensions to the ZT 0900 (4.4 oz). Interestingly, in hand, they *feel* about the same weight. Some wierd paradoxical magic is going on here.

Ergonomics utilizing the finger choil ar quite good. For my hand, a 4 finger grip behind the choil is doable, but only fair as the butt gets a bit too narrow for comfort.

Aside from my nitpick about the scale blasting, everything about my sample is really well executed…EXCEPT for one thing. The pocket clip.

The pocket clip on the Falcon is horrible. It’s inflexible. It’s too short. Look at its profile. It only thins out over a very small distance, and all force is concentrated over about 1/8 inch. There are several reports of bent clips on the MD site, and I can see why. This is the worst clip I have ever encountered—an epic failure on an otherwise fine knife.

9916F138-CC75-4B50-96D5-8DE8EDD94D6D.jpeg

People like to trash talk stamped metal clips as uninspired and boring—but they work. If the Falcon’s clip were maybe 1/4” longer (added length at minimum thickness) it might do the trick. As is, I’m amazed the Williamson brothers signed off on it.

Here are some comparisons for perspective.

D6BCEFA2-1C4A-4385-A1E1-4C9B4F1C8D81.jpeg

As stated above, I think in many respects the knife is similar to the ZT 0900. I expected that. In fact, I’d been looking for something like a slightly less beefy 0900 and was considering a mini-Grip when I found the Falcon drop. The ZT is better in the pocket due largely to the Falcon’s atrocity of a clip.

5A4CA9F9-228C-4A4A-A8D5-0344765C1E10.jpeg

Yes the Falcon is a bit slimmer and thinner than the 0900, but in practicality the difference is negligible.

The Falcon is also very similar in practical dimensions to the Native 5–just a bit shorter in OAL, but they are nearly identical in blade length and both have a forward choil.

B06A4AE0-5AEF-42A0-A80A-B7ED885A0036.jpeg

The Native 5 LW is an awesome carry though. Hard to beat IMO.

BA936623-2981-4962-859A-5EBF3BB9419A.jpeg

So, in summary I think the Falcon is a great little knife that’s pretty much killed by a pocket clip that’s essentially a crime against humanity. This makes me doubly sad as I also have a Crux on the way that I think I’ll like even more—except it uses the same blasted clip! If anyone reading comes across an after market solution for these, please post something about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and the great pictures. Our views on the knife are very similar. At first I didn't mind the clip but in practice I find I don't love it. Not quite the same "deal breaker" status as for you, but it could be better and lower profile. I'm beginning to think milled clips might be a questionable idea on small knives.

Like you, I think the knife feels dense. I wish they'd milled out weight reduction pockets in the handles. I've always held off on a ZT0900 because I was afraid it would be too dense feeling. Your comments make me want to pick one up while they're still around.:)

All things considered, it's a good knife at a good price but just not perfect. I think in a way it's a testament to how hard it is to make a small folding knife. There can only be one Native, Delica and small 21!

I cancelled my order for the Crux but got in on the Gent. I'll be eager to see what Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop can bring us for $80.

Thanks for the review and the great pictures. Our views on the knife are very similar. At first I didn't mind the clip but in practice I find I don't love it. Not quite the same "deal breaker" status as for you, but it could be better and lower profile. I'm beginning to think milled clips might be a questionable idea on small knives.

Like you, I think the knife feels dense. I wish they'd milled out weight reduction pockets in the handles. I've always held off on a ZT0900 because I was afraid it would be too dense feeling. Your comments make me want to pick one up while they're still around.:)

All things considered, it's a good knife at a good price but just not perfect. I think in a way it's a testament to how hard it is to make a small folding knife. There can only be one Native, Delica and small 21!

I cancelled my order for the Crux but got in on the Gent. I'll be eager to see what Ferrum Forge/WE/Massdrop can bring us for $80.

That Gent has a different clip too obviously important.

Thanks for your comment. Obviously I’m pretty outspoken about the clip. Part of the reason is how incredibly well executed the rest of the knife is.

My Falcon is presently back in its box while I decide what to do with it. I may gift it; I know someone who breaks down lots of boxes at work—this knife would excell at that in a very classy way. I may start EDC-ing it, or it may wind up my first home mod job; it would be a great platform for that.

I will admit, leaving it in the box is challenging because it’s such a great fidget knife; just the right size and a great action.

If anyone else has opinions or comments, please speak up!

ETA: Not sure what I was thinking above; the clip screws are NOT concealed.

Last edited:
Hello,

just made a first glimpse review on mine.
Lucky me, mine is flawless:
https://bladeforums.com/threads/my-...rum-forge-falcon-s35vn-folding-knife.1525672/
20171010_131438-011913492656.jpeg

Hey, I'm just like you.
I have decided to use like it's the only knife in the world.
I hate the clip but so far it works. So I have convexed the edge and decide to use the Falcon hard !

I got one as well and even from the photos I didn't like the clip. I agree with you on the handles they scratch too easily. I am loving the blade though and will carry it for a while before changing to another EDC.

A quick pocket clip update:
Just in the last week there is clip news from three different sources. Massdrop announced they are redesigning the clip slightly; they will make replacements available through a drop sometime around January. The renderings show a similar design with a longer span of minimum thickness, presumably providing increased compliance.

Pop’s Custom Clips is selling deep carry stamped Ti clips; I have the impression they’re being made to order. Cahadinbladeworks has a limited run of sculpted and deep carry clips available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back