Massdrop Ferrum Forge gent?

I would equate the branding complaint if it was more obnoxious like Esee and Ontario RAT series knives. But it's the same as Spyderco and Benchmade wich I'm sure 50+% of people herehave at least one of those.

Got my blue on in today, really good knife overall, surprised by how much I like it for a good and plain EDC. Only complaint would be the detent is the strongest of any knife I have ever had, by far. Hoping this breaks in better.

Ah. Blue! First thing you said about it! :D

Ok guys. Branding and asthetics do matter. But still confused about what this specific brand implementation takes away from the asthetics.

It would not be the same, if aesthetics were not a factor in buying knives. The fact that this knife comes in different colors shows that aesthetics are a factor, and hence the look of the stencilling matters and is not, as you said, "silly."

What color did you choose?

I think there's a reason why you are given a choice about the color of the handles and not the size of the stenciling. Just saying.

Anyway, can this thread not be hijacked by an argument about branding? That already happened to the Terzuola thread.

I think there's a reason why you are given a choice about the color of the handles and not the size of the stenciling. Just saying.

Anyway, can this thread not be hijacked by an argument about branding? That already happened to the Terzuola thread.
I think there are always difficulties with any discussion on the Massdrop knives because their status on these boards (and in the knife world in general) is still rather confusing. Are they a knife maker or a knife dealer? The answer to that question affects our discussion of the knives they bring to market. Personally, I believe they're something in the middle; they have far more input in the design of their collaboration knives than most knife vendors. On the other hand, the only thing they actually make are deals. I think a lot of members here have a touch of animosity toward Massdrop, largely due to their level of membership and lack of clarity of where they belong in the maker-vendor spectrum.

Here's the rub; critical discussion on any knife requires some element of "value". In order to discuss value, price must be revealed. If MD is a knife dealer and we discuss prices of knives that can only be purchased at their website, we're deal spotting for a non-supporting vendor. Deal spotting is clearly against the rules here at BF.

I hope that Massdrop will eventually join as a knife dealer so we can freely talk about all aspects of the knives they're bringing to market.

In terms of the narrower issue of logos and branding, I personally don't understand the problem. At the end of the day, we buy knives based on a series of preferences that work for us. They don't need to work for anyone else. Likewise, what works for someone else doesn't need to work for me. If someone has an issue about branding, it's not my place to dismiss their objection.

Edit: I'm really trying not to hijack this thread, only trying to throw a little perspective at it.

Excellent post, Hackenslash Hackenslash . Massdrop is definitely "something in the middle"--not a knifemaker, as they don't make anything but deals, as you so aptly put it. Not really a dealer, either, as they don't offer a variety of brands, just their own branded knives, designed by outside firms and manufactured by outside makers. Certainly, Massdrop is a vendor, but I think their company is best described as a contractor--contracting both the design and manufacture (with attribution) and selling the resultant product.

This is analogous to many general contracting firms in my business, who don't design or build anything with their own hands or people, but hire out all the work. Some of these companies build fine houses and others build over- or under-priced crap. It's up to the individual client to decide whether he wants a hands on builder or something else. You can end up with a fine home or a POS either way.

Anyway, here I am hijacking the thread too and getting away from the knife in question. I got my blue Gent the other day and am quite pleased with its quality and features. It's a great little flipper with a fairly stiff detent that doesn't feel so at all--I can't pinch the blade open, but the knife flips super easily. I like the blue G10 scales a lot, especially the way the slight contouring towards the pivot yields a slightly variegated, striped, but subtle sort of pattern. The blade shape is excellent with it's high primary grind, smallish flat, generous belly, slight drop, and sharp, even edge grind. I'm a big fan of S35VN. I'm not concerned that the choil is too small for my fat finger as the handle is too slim for even a choked up grip to feel solid in my stocky, arthritic mitts. It does make for an excellent, non-hooky sharpening choil. For me, the knife is aptly named the Gent as it fits in as what I consider to be a gentleman's folder--an elegant, well-designed, well-built, smallish knife sufficient for simple cutting tasks but a bit too thin or short of handle for more substantial EDC tasks.

That's another tangent to get off on to further derail this thread, so I'll just post a couple comparison shots and let y'all figure where the Gent might fit into your personal Pantheon of knives.

WuVhnf9.jpg

aTHV4bG.jpg

The blue looks nicer in your pics than in the advertisements. :thumbsup: I like it.

Still glad I went with OG green though.

The blue looks nicer in your pics than in the advertisements. :thumbsup: I like it.

Still glad I went with OG green though.
I like your green too. I was back and forth on color before pulling the trigger. Think I woulda been happy either way, but the blue is pretty sweet. :)

I received my Gent today and I'm very impressed with it! Fit and finish are exceptional for a knife in this price range. The detent's not too strong on mine. I'd say it's just right. It flips great!

This is likely the deal of the year for me!

Ser# V0043
hRRES5e.jpg

Received mine a couple of hours ago (I opted for blue). Very well pleased. Fit, finish, centering, action all very good. It does indeed have a very firm dentent as others have pointed out but not excessively so. The only minor issue and easily rectified is the pocket clip which is overly snug and needs a little adjustment. For $80 all in it's a heck of a great knife at a great price.

Received my with a big slash in the shipping envelope - big enough to pull the box out and deep enough to cut the MassDrop box. Fortunately the nylon bag was unharmed and my knife was in there. I don't blame Massdrop for that.
The knife is as advertised. Flips beautifully. Firm detent but I can pinch it open.
I don't see a reason to complain about branding - it's tiny on mine. Smaller than newspaper print near the spine before the bevel.

Shipping was convoluted. Wasn't picked up by FedEx for a few days. Taken to the shipping center inmy metro area in the Midwest, then given to USPS for delivery. Just some why's there.

Anyone else experienced floating? After a week of light use, I noticed the centering was off. It was perfect when I got it. Pivot screw loosening perhaps?

Anyone else experienced floating? After a week of light use, I noticed the centering was off. It was perfect when I got it. Pivot screw loosening perhaps?

Since the pivot is under the scale it requires a but of unassemy to find out. I read a review that there isn't any loctite. If I ever get any blade play I would certainly reassemble with some loctite.

The pivot screw is almost certainly loose. It happened even more quickly with mine.

You’ll need a good T6 for the clip & scales and a #0 or #1 Phillips for the pivot. The pivot is tightened from the clip side—you’ll have to remove the clip to get the scale off.

I used medium 242 LocTite on the pivot and low strength 222 on the T6 hardware. Also a good idea to clean the male and female pivot threads before LocTite—if any oil made its way in there the threadlocker won’t work (ask me how I know. ;))

Let MD customer service know about it. I think they track that stuff.

Last edited:
When you get it apart you can opt to install the pivot screw on the presentation side without issue. That way if you need to adjust the pivot in the future, you don't have a clip to remove.

The pivot on mine loosened up too. I noticed the centering on mine went way off. I've read of others with this issue so I knew what was going on. Like 4mer_FMF I disassembled, degreased, and applied a little blue LocTite (242 or 243) and it seems to be fine now.

I'm really diggin' this little knife!

When you get it apart you can opt to install the pivot screw on the presentation side without issue. That way if you need to adjust the pivot in the future, you don't have a clip to remove.
Great tip! I didn't even consider trying that. I hate messing with those tiny screws! So I'll swap the pivot around next time I have it apart.

Great tip! I didn't even consider trying that. I hate messing with those tiny screws! So I'll swap the pivot around next time I have it apart.
We have to thank Nick Shabazz and his disassembly videos for this bit of knowledge, lol.

Jumped in on the most recent batch, literally got tracking after sales were closed. Very eager to get hands on it.

There is another Gent run live right now, this time with carbon fiber or rosewood scales. They look good, but not worth an extra $20 for me personally. Even though I think the Gent is quite good, IMO the additional price is pushing closer to the next echelon of production. That, and I’m even more content with OD green now that I’ve had it for a while.

It will take bone micarta or orange G-10 to get me to consider another purchase, provided it stays at the base price.

Back