Massdrop Ferrum Forge gent?

ya i'm a huge fan, own blue and black g10. the rosewood looks nice on the knife's form factor, and fits the likely environments of the gent, but my needle didn't move much. i'll probably pick up the OD to finish the first run and wait for a steel/blade shape/form factor change next time around. good idea to try and milk the overall (yes I know it has flaws) appeal and success of the first run with a fast, minor change tho.

I think the Gent's a fantastic little knife considering the price. I had to reverse the pivot on mine and add a little blue loctite to get the pivot to stop loosening up. It's been great ever since.

I'm tempted to get the rosewood. I'm not sure the upgrade is worth the extra $20 but it's still a great value. I've been quite happy with the S35VN steel but wouldn't mind if they went to M390.

EDIT: Not sure but the blade almost looks stonewashed in the new pics on MD.

Last edited:
I think the Gent's a fantastic little knife considering the price. I had to reverse the pivot on mine and add a little blue loctite to get the pivot to stop loosening up. It's been great ever since.

I'm tempted to get the rosewood. I'm not sure the upgrade is worth the extra $20 but it's still a great value. I've been quite happy with the S35VN steel but wouldn't mind if they went to M390.

EDIT: Not sure but the blade almost looks stonewashed in the new pics on MD.
In the current Gent "drop"/release, the blade is stonewashed, and the clip appears to be finished to match.

I love the look of the new dressier scales. I started asking for CF right from the start. It was advertised as a "Gent". It was named the "Gent". Now finally has the looks to match. But not sure I will be swayed to purchase a second just for the scales.

I tried a few different things with the scales early on. First was some different g10 in blue, and some with layered red/black. But after thinning I ended up with red on one side, and black on the other. Then one day when I was hammering on some silver and wondered what that would look like. Starting with a little brick 1/4" thick of silver bullion, it was a bugger to get out into thin sheet. After doing one, I decided it still needed some color. So I made the other side in copper. Some day I may dig up the energy to makes the sides match. I really dig the copper. But if I stick with silver, need to anodize the frame, probably a darkish bronze.

33eu63b.jpg

2saxks1.jpg

In the current Gent "drop"/release, the blade is stonewashed, and the clip appears to be finished to match.
Yeah I figured that out after I made that comment the other night. Not sure I'll like the stomewash finish. Guess I'll find out because I ordered a rosewood one.

So, presumably, y’all have had your Gents for around 6 months now.

How are you liking them? How are they holding up? How’s the edge retention on that S35VN? Sharpened your Gent yet?

Mine arrives tomorrow.

How are you liking them? How are they holding up? How’s the edge retention on that S35VN? Sharpened your Gent yet?

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Mine has been used for almost daily office carry, so other than stropping once or twice (because I had it out for another knife, not that because it needed it) and cleaning lint out out of the pivot (a lesser-known downside to wearing a suit every day), no problems. The black G10 has taken on a nice, smooth “pocket-sanded” finish, especially under the clip. The clip is so thin and plain that it resembles a pen clip much more than a knife; I’d say it’s probably the most inconspicuous clip out there.

As has been widely noted, the pivot screw (which isn’t free-spinning) is a Phillips rather than Torx, and comes assembled so that the head is under the backside scale, rather than the show side. There’s no thread lock anywhere on the knife from the factory, so the pivot will eventually loosen (depending on how much you fidget with it, it can happen fast). The first time you take it apart to adjust the pivot, I highly recommend you reverse the pivot screw so the Phillips head is under the show scale (so you only need to remove the two scale screws to get to the pivot screw, rather than two scale screws and two clip screws), and add a tiny dab of blue thread lock.

Overall, it’s a great gentleman’s knife. “Just-right” detent, smooth flipping action, outstanding F&F and materials for the price (the G10 scales and pivot screw are the only obviously “cheap” components), inconspicuous deep-carry clip, nice grind, and a more solid lockup than a light-duty knife really needs. It’s nice enough that I go back and forth on whether to “upgrade” to the Gent Select and gift the one I’ve got.

Mine has been used for almost daily office carry, so other than stropping once or twice (because I had it out for another knife, not that because it needed it) and cleaning lint out out of the pivot (a lesser-known downside to wearing a suit every day), no problems. The black G10 has taken on a nice, smooth “pocket-sanded” finish, especially under the clip. The clip is so thin and plain that it resembles a pen clip much more than a knife; I’d say it’s probably the most inconspicuous clip out there.

As has been widely noted, the pivot screw (which isn’t free-spinning) is a Phillips rather than Torx, and comes assembled so that the head is under the backside scale, rather than the show side. There’s no thread lock anywhere on the knife from the factory, so the pivot will eventually loosen (depending on how much you fidget with it, it can happen fast). The first time you take it apart to adjust the pivot, I highly recommend you reverse the pivot screw so the Phillips head is under the show scale (so you only need to remove the two scale screws to get to the pivot screw, rather than two scale screws and two clip screws), and add a tiny dab of blue thread lock.

Overall, it’s a great gentleman’s knife. “Just-right” detent, smooth flipping action, outstanding F&F and materials for the price (the G10 scales and pivot screw are the only obviously “cheap” components), inconspicuous deep-carry clip, nice grind, and a more solid lockup than a light-duty knife really needs. It’s nice enough that I go back and forth on whether to “upgrade” to the Gent Select and gift the one I’ve got.

Great information. Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

^^^Good advice here.

Mine arrives tomorrow.
I got the G10 version in May and the CF version last month. Both have seen light use and have only needed stropping to maintain the edge. I prefer the CF version not only for the look of the material but also because the handle's slightly thicker, which feels better to me.

For both, with just some blue Loctite in the pivot, the blade has been stable and well-centered. Great action.

I got the G10 version in May and the CF version last month. Both have seen light use and have only needed stropping to maintain the edge. I prefer the CF version not only for the look of the material but also because the handle's slightly thicker, which feels better to me.

For both, with just some blue Loctite in the pivot, the blade has been stable and well-centered. Great action.

How does the stonewashed blade compare to the satin finish?

How does the stonewashed blade compare to the satin finish?
I like the stonewashed finish on the CF version quite a bit. I hear that WE has been improving its satin finishes for the Massdrop releases, but I find the satin of my original Gent and my Crux to be rather washed out and unimpressive. I like stonewash generally for hiding wear, and I think on the new Gent it's a nice contrast to the CF while also matching the titanium liners better. I only wish the pocket clip would have a stonewashed appearance to match.
aPlo32t.jpg

I forgot to post a pic of my Gent Select in this thread.

NNfBML0.jpg

This one's been just about perfect so far. On my OD green G10 Gent I had to reverse the pivot screw. I haven't had to touch the pivot on the rosewood knife. Detent is about as good as it gets and I think the action is a hair smoother too.

So far I like the S35VN their using. I reprofiled my G10 Gent and I really like how it cuts. I'll be reprofiling the new one as soon as time permits.

I'm extremely happy with the Gent(s). It's always hard for me to pick favorites but this one ranks right up there for me.

I received my Gent Select last night. Very happy with the shape of the drop-point blade and the simple, uncluttered, classic design of the knife. This is my first “nice” pocketknife.

I’m impressed with the ball detent system. Am I correct that there is no spring assist, other than this?

It is hair-shaving sharp. But not razor sharp. I look forward to getting some stones and a strop and learning to sharpen. I want to bring this blade to hair-whittling level.

The pivot has already loosened some, after deploying the blade around 30-40 times.

Mine shows blue Loctite residue around the handle scale and clip retention screws. I uploaded a short detail video on YouTube, and the Loctite residue is visible. See below:

I received my Gent Select last night. Very happy with the shape of the drop-point blade and the simple, uncluttered, classic design of the knife. This is my first “nice” pocketknife.

I’m impressed with the ball detent system. Am I correct that there is no spring assist, other than this?

It is hair-shaving sharp. But not razor sharp. I look forward to getting some stones and a strop and learning to sharpen. I want to bring this blade to hair-whittling level.

The pivot has already loosened some, after deploying the blade around 30-40 times.

Mine shows blue Loctite residue around the handle scale and clip retention screws. I uploaded a short detail video on YouTube, and the Loctite residue is visible. See below:

It's a great knife. No spring assist, just a nice detent and action.

What you don't see there is the hidden pivot screw. Every WE-made knife I have has needed eventually to have the pivot tightened and thread locker applied, including my two Gents. My CF Gent has stayed tight and centered after that initial treatment.

I forgot to post a pic of my Gent Select in this thread.

NNfBML0.jpg

This one's been just about perfect so far. On my OD green G10 Gent I had to reverse the pivot screw. I haven't had to touch the pivot on the rosewood knife. Detent is about as good as it gets and I think the action is a hair smoother too.

So far I like the S35VN their using. I reprofiled my G10 Gent and I really like how it cuts. I'll be reprofiling the new one as soon as time permits.

I'm extremely happy with the Gent(s). It's always hard for me to pick favorites but this one ranks right up there for me.

Dang!!! That seals the deal for me on carbon vs rosewood - I'm going with the wood. Supposedly another drop will open for the Select version in late April/May....

The standard Gent (with G10) is available any time now on Massdrop.

Dang!!! That seals the deal for me on carbon vs rosewood - I'm going with the wood. Supposedly another drop will open for the Select version in late April/May....

I have several knives with CF so the Rosewood was an easy decision for me. It turns out I'm glad I went that route. It's really nice! The action's actually a hair smoother than my G10 Gent and the G10 one is no slouch.

I'm pretty sure it's already been mentioned, but just in case.... There is a guy over on Massdrop (Joel Ellis) that has been doing aftermarket scales for these in many woods and CF. He recently moved and has been down for a while. But made it sound like he will eventually be producing them again. I haven't purchased any of his yet, but from reviews, everyone that have them seem pleased. Pretty spectacular variety out there.

SzGJvQL3Q3W4lSrsghxU_D57A6450932640ADBB3178018CBEB167.jpeg

BKgnCFpIQA2rzxE68yvn_A8306ED4B5D9441AB87D58838395222B.jpeg

AnpyLFRTi61tc434QKX8_BC01648C159647B685A141842AAE91B4.jpeg

gNXi2tO6SlyJDxg3emNd_B1912F2D08A34C71815449B9CE23498C.jpeg

btSZkhFaRQmyOKqOGlfK_9657F12F-7F49-4BC2-AF59-E3EE2C9A7A70.jpeg

19SIYNu8T32G2wmJVSSc_7E578096-9563-4429-AC8A-1DB1649C977D.jpeg

DCHG7jyRpOjJ1PtK0PMp_14F79DA6-78C7-4B56-99FF-8A803DED85B4.jpeg

I've had my Gent for a good while now, sharpened it a few times, stropped it countless times, and carried it even more times. I can safely say that this is easily in my top 5 favorite knives under $100. The only small complaint I have is that the blade could have used a more aggressive grind on the primary bevel, it isn't thick behind the edge, but it could be thinner. Still cuts pretty well, holds an edge how I expect S35VN to, and the action has broken in to a slight shake shut. I couldn't really be much happier.

Back