• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Massdrop has changed their name

It looks like Massdrop recently dropped some Mass and changed their name simply to Drop; they changed their logo in the process. They opened up preorders for their first new knife since the name change, it's another Terzuola design, this time his persian, with micarta handles. It looks pretty nice to me.

persian3.JPG

I have mixed feelings about my first (and only) Massdrop knife, the Terzuola CTF. I like the design, it's a great little knife, but it came with very sharp G10, and I felt the preorder process could have been handled better. That being said, they mention a number of improvements based on feedback from that drop, specifically more rounded handle scales, and a new handle material. They also said they listened to all of the complaints about the "Massdrop" laser mark on the blade, and they have switched to a logo on the pivot.

Persian2.JPG

I think it's great that Massdrop has been listening to our many complaints, and they just might win me back as a customer, but I'm still not going to preorder it, I've decided I'm no longer going to participate in preorders from any company. There is a pretty steep price difference between the preorder and the actual drop, much more than there has been in the past, but I'm willing to pay that in order to skip the preorder.

What do you think of the new Massdrop?

I think the new logo is much less annoying like that.

That said, they screwed up too many times, on too many orders, for me to order anything from them again. Missing parts. Items not as described. Two orders I returned, and on another three orders I was given a credit for their screw up.

Between the above-street pricing on some production knives and all the screwups, I'm done with them.

I've had mostly good experiences with Massdrop. What really attracted me was when they had exclusive items, special editions, or unusually good prices on an item. I only had one bad experience when they didn't have enough of the color I ordered and my order got canceled.

My favorite small flashlight is their Massdrop AAA Brass with Nichia 219B. It came in a special "Massdrop" case. I ordered a back-up the next time it was available and I never opened it. I wonder if it will be a collector's item someday.

Funny, just had my first Massdrop order delivered today – after custom delays of couse eh!
It's the Supergold Endura. Very happy overall with the shopping experience, not so much on their knife offer but it's a personal thing I guess.

I've had mostly good experiences with Massdrop. What really attracted me was when they had exclusive items, special editions, or unusually good prices on an item. I only had one bad experience when they didn't have enough of the color I ordered and my order got canceled.

My favorite small flashlight is their Massdrop AAA Brass with Nichia 219B. It came in a special "Massdrop" case. I ordered a back-up the next time it was available and I never opened it. I wonder if it will be a collector's item someday.
My experience with Drop has been mostly favorable. I like the unique part they play in bringing knives to market that we might not otherwise see. They’ve responded to legit criticism with an attitude to change and improve.

Like you, my go to AAA flashlight is their in-house design. I have one in brass, copper and a couple different colors of aluminum.

I’m a sucker for persians and anything by Bob, but I have a feeling this is a knife I’d love but never carry...

Don't like either the old or new name, makes me feel like I'm shopping for toilets or for Wile. E. Coyote at the ACME store.

However, the Gent select is a brilliant little knife. I've bought other stuff from them as well.

Not really interested in Persian style blades.

I like it, but after the first Terzuola drop, I am no longer participating in any of their Massdrop knife drops.

I like it, but after the first Terzuola drop, I am no longer participating in any of their Massdrop knife drops.

curious as to why? they made some design changes at the end which still resulted in an amazing knife for the price. I don't carry it as often as I did when I first got it, but I still carry it.

Tried to look at their site a minute ago, too may hoops to jump thru just to check out their products. Pass for me

I personally didn't mind the Massdrop logo; the knives would've looked better without, but I didn't get the uproar about it. And the logo could be removed with a simple blast and tumble refinish - the same cannot be said for pivot hardware. But at least it's nondescript and inoffensive to look at.

I don't find pre-orders to be a particularly annoying thing to deal with because I'm patient, but I could see why others aren't as happy. I do believe part of their change is to get more items in stock and act more like a normal store would, rather than the group-buy pre-order site they used to be.

Overall I think it's an improvement. They put out pretty good knives for the money, at least when it comes to their Massdrop/Drop branded models and lines, and this change should allow people to get said knives faster.

I've bought two Keens, a Crux, and a couple of pens. The products have been perfect and the entire process has been quick and seamless. As I've said in similar threads, I'm mystified at the objection to the branding. Every ZT, Spyderco, Boker, Cold Steel, Hinderer... has more writing on the blade than does a Massdrop. In some cases, much more.

The config w/ the CF looks really great. I have the CTF in CF as well, I'll probably be picking this one up.

I'll admit I preferred the lasermark on the blade to the logo'd pivot. I'll be sanding that off and reblasting it.

As I've said in similar threads, I'm mystified at the objection to the branding.

The Massdrop knives didn't really bother me. Generally though, I think blades tend to look better with less writing on them. It is rare that I actually like the writing or a particular logo. It is much more common that I don't. It occasionally stops me from buying a particular knife. For instance, I liked the Steel Will Intrigue but couldn't handle having the giant "INTRIGUE" printed on the blade. It's a step down from words like "operator" or "ninja" but still goofy and a conversation starter I don't want.

It's comical how MassDrop's biggest complaint is the fulfillment time. You would figure the makers would drop ship for them instead and get the products out quicker. That's at least what I did for the three drops I've done with them. I had packages en route a day or so after the drop closing. I'd order one of these knives but I know papa Terzoula ain't drop shipping for them and it'll probably take months.

It's comical how MassDrop's biggest complaint is the fulfillment time. You would figure the makers would drop ship for them instead and get the products out quicker. That's at least what I did for the three drops I've done with them. I had packages en route a day or so after the drop closing. I'd order one of these knives but I know papa Terzoula ain't drop shipping for them and it'll probably take months.

You may have ordered from drops that were already in stock. It takes 6 to 9 months for the first drop of any of their gear to ship because it has to actually be manufactured. I'm guessing that's the fulfillment time you've heard people complain about.

From now on if I purchase from them (and that's a big if) I'm only going to purchase from the drops they have in stock. More likely, I'll purchase a used one from a member here if I really want one of their designs.

Back