• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Massdrop has changed their name

You may have ordered from drops that were already in stock. It takes 6 to 9 months for the first drop of any of their gear to ship because it has to actually be manufactured. I'm guessing that's the fulfillment time you've heard people complain about.

From now on if I purchase from them (and that's a big if) I'm only going to purchase from the drops they have in stock. More likely, I'll purchase a used one from a member here if I really want one of their designs.

Ahhh I never noticed the stipulation on that. They gave me about 1-3 months but since production finished a lot quicker than quoted I went ahead and shipped earlier than the approximate times.

You may have ordered from drops that were already in stock. It takes 6 to 9 months for the first drop of any of their gear to ship because it has to actually be manufactured. I'm guessing that's the fulfillment time you've heard people complain about.

From now on if I purchase from them (and that's a big if) I'm only going to purchase from the drops they have in stock. More likely, I'll purchase a used one from a member here if I really want one of their designs.

I've bought numerous items from Massdrop including at least 3 of their collaborative knives and NONE of those purchases took anywhere near 6-9 months. Every one of them also had the expected shipping date in the description of the item for sale. I don't know why so many people tell these sorts of stories about them, they describe the product and the delivery times in detail on every drop. Even when a few of their drops have taken longer than originally planned the customers aren't charged until the item ships, there's no penalty for cancelling and no one has ever been forced to buy anything from them that I've ever heard of.

This new Terzuola collaboration is supposed to ship on November 22 2019. That's seven months after preorders opened. Their other Terzuola collaboration opened up preorders in April of last year and shipped six months later in October.

You're right, they do provide the shipping estimate, and I understand that delays can happen during production and it can take longer. On the drop I participated in, they charged me before the preorder closed, not when the item shipped.

"After this product run ends, payment will be collected and orders will be submitted to the vendor up front, making all orders final." That is clearly stated at the bottom of every first run drop, so they charge you way before the knife is even made, never mind shipped. I've only ever ordered a first run knife from them, and I knew what I was getting into, I don't know how they handle in stock drops or other runs. I'm only speaking to my experience.

Yeah preorders are prepay for what I've seen. They collect the bucks, pay the vendor and split up the stuff when they get it.

If you're on the fence about something it's a good way to help make up your mind. If you really want it you'll pay out and wait and if it's a passing fancy you can not buy it. Most of the stuff I get from MassDrop will be closeouts and stuff like that so there's not a long wait. But if there was another cool Spyderco limited I would go in and wait again. None of their branded stuff has really done it for me yet.

That new Terzuola is neat but the curve is not Persian enough to seal the deal.

I've bought two blades from Drop. One winner Boker Burnley Kwaiken with wood scales, and one looser, Artisan Classic folder.

They do occasionally have a good price, and ship date, but do have delays regularly. I only buy stuff I don't need right away from Drop.

I've bought two Keens, a Crux, and a couple of pens. The products have been perfect and the entire process has been quick and seamless. As I've said in similar threads, I'm mystified at the objection to the branding. Every ZT, Spyderco, Boker, Cold Steel, Hinderer... has more writing on the blade than does a Massdrop. In some cases, much more.

I've never understood it either. I did a side-by-side comparison in post #9 here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/massdrop-ferrum-forge-falcon.1591710/#post-18186023

I've never understood it either. I did a side-by-side comparison in post #9 here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/massdrop-ferrum-forge-falcon.1591710/#post-18186023

I feel the same. No logo? Cool. Little logo for the company that made it happen? Cool too. From an aesthetics and design stand point, yeah the logo is a bit meh. It’s nothing terrible though. I totally dig having Massdrop/Drop as another option out there. Def trying to do some cool stuff.

Trouble is the knife doesn't look like a Terzuola. Looks like a Massdrop, but then it is, but it's not like his personally made knives.

Reactions: Mo2
Trouble is the knife doesn't look like a Terzuola. Looks like a Massdrop, but then it is, but it's not like his personally made knives.
Ok, this makes no sense. By your logic, none of these "look like a Terzuola" either because they're not personally MADE by him.

View attachment 1129263View attachment 1129265
Extend that a bit further and you're saying any production knife isn't really a product of the designer.

It's logic like this that gives logic a bad name...

Not only that, the Drop Terzuola CTF has many characteristic elements of Bob's designs.
The Drop CTF version...
View attachment 1129255 The custom ACTF version
It looks to me like the Drop CTF comes damn close to nailing the custom Terzuola design...but I might be looking at it too logically.

Last edited:
Ok, this makes no sense. By your logic, none of these "look like a Terzuola" either because they're not personally MADE by him.
View attachment 1129246 View attachment 1129247 View attachment 1129248 View attachment 1129249
View attachment 1129263View attachment 1129265
Extend that a bit further and you're saying any production knife isn't really a product of the designer.

It's logic like this that gives logic a bad name...

Not only that, the Drop Terzuola CTF has many characteristic elements of Bob's designs.
View attachment 1129254 The Drop CTF version...
View attachment 1129255 The custom ACTF version
It looks to me like the Drop CTF comes damn close to nailing the custom Terzuola design...but I might be looking at it too logically.

None of the knives you show looks like the new Massdrop design shown in Post #1 of this thread. You just proved my point; thanks.

I like Terzuola's designs. I buy production Tezuolas and had one of his customs. I think that Massdrop's new design does not look like a Terzuola, but just like any other Massdrop knife, or maybe even worse, like an over priced Chinese made "high end knife" made for the collector who doesn't really know much about knife design and Terzuola's designs in particular.

My favorite production Terzuola is the Starmate in all of its variants, followed by the Park Avenue and then that weird Spyderco slipjoint with double ball indents.

None of the knives you show looks like the new Massdrop design shown in Post #1 of this thread. You just proved my point; thanks.

I like Terzuola's designs. I buy production Tezuolas and had one of his customs. I think that Massdrop's new design does not look like a Terzuola, but just like any other Massdrop knife, or maybe even worse, like an over priced Chinese made "high end knife" made for the collector who doesn't really know much about knife design and Terzuola's designs in particular.

My favorite production Terzuola is the Starmate in all of its variants, followed by the Park Avenue and then that weird Spyderco slipjoint with double ball indents.

It does look a bit like the first knife that pops up in Google Images after searching "Bob Terzuola Persian", albeit with a bit more of an upswept blade.

Did Terzuola actually design or have say in the design of the Massdrop knife in the OP? If yes, then saying it doesn't look like a Tezuola doesn't make much sense. So what if it doesn't look like something he's done previously? This hobby would get very boring quite fast if makers only made in their preconceived style.

If he didn't and they're just putting the name on it, well then that is a different potential can of worms.

Edit: Here's the Terzuola I mentioned.
TERZUOLA_SILVER_TWILL_PERSIAN_1_1024x.jpg

Last edited:

Check the title of the thread. Since the first few posts there’s been mostly discussion of logos and prior drops, in particular the CTF.

It does look a bit like the first knife that pops up in Google Images after searching "Bob Terzuola Persian", albeit with a bit more of an upswept blade.

Did Terzuola actually design or have say in the design of the Massdrop knife in the OP? If yes, then saying it doesn't look like a Tezuola doesn't make much sense. So what if it doesn't look like something he's done previously? This hobby would get very boring quite fast if makers only made in their preconceived style.

If he didn't and they're just putting the name on it, well then that is a different potential can of worms.

Edit: Here's the Terzuola I mentioned.
View attachment 1129366

To me the differences between the real Terzuola and the Massdrop are significant, and make the Massdrop just another pocket knife with an upswept "persian" blade. Some hallmarks in the original are the longer more useful blade, the chamfered edges of the slabs, the blade finish, sleaker lines, the stronger point...

To me the differences between the real Terzuola and the Massdrop are significant, and make the Massdrop just another pocket knife with an upswept "persian" blade. Some hallmarks in the original are the longer more useful blade, the chamfered edges of the slabs, the blade finish, sleaker lines, the stronger point...

One should expect differences and changes between a $2,000+ one off custom and mass produced production model made in a similar fashion from the same designer.

Who said that that is the "original"? The production could be based on it as I do see some similarities. Perhaps the MD was designed from scratch and just happens to look like a one off that was done years ago. I don't know.

After scrolling through AZ Customs, the knife in the OP looks as much a Terzuola as the ones posted by Hackenslash. Well, to me anyhow. YMMV.

From the drop page for the Cyrus knife...
"Our second collaboration with Bob Terzuola—known as the godfather of the tactical folder—the Cyrus takes its name from Cyrus the Great, the founder of the first Persian Empire. Based on Terzuola’s custom design, our version is about 1.8 inches shorter to save pocket space. As the name alludes, the Cyrus features an upswept Persian-style blade made from premium S35VN stainless steel, arguably the most balanced steel on the market. Press the flipper tab and the blade deploys effortlessly thanks to the caged bearings. To keep the blade securely locked open, the titanium lockbar is fitted with a hardened steel insert. Equipped with your choice of linen micarta, canvas micarta, or carbon fiber handle scales, the Cyrus is as handsome as it is effective."

Please have some respect for a deceased equine.

Well being 2" shorter than the custom version is pretty clearly not the same Terzuola design. It's one of the reasons it looks like a bastard. Bob's smaller knives are generally not based upon his tactical designs, since he used to believe that knives should be functional. A combat folder is not short, that's why the ACTF has 4" blade and is not the best EDC.

A short knife with an upswept persian blade is too short to be tactical and too upswept to be a good EDC. Look at the BM Park Avenue and the Spyderco Slipit, those are the EDC style blades of the "old" Terzuola. To me it's pretty clear Bob isn't holding true to his design philosophy that's been pretty consistent over the years. What he seems to be doing is selling his name to sell knives, and that's the raison d'être of Massdrop, selling names and selling hype.

Back