• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Massdrop has changed their name

Seems like anyone can make a knife design now and it sells. That's what I feel this industry is now. Drop is feeding that trend. Doesn't matter if it's performance or style based or whatever. As long as it's ti with a lockbar insert and bearings or whatever material qualifications pre concived at a specific price it will sell. Ergos, Heat treatment, geometry, etc don't matter to this market it would seem. I mean they just don't get that aspect for the most part.

Getting your ideas on a napkin and sending them to we knives its gonna sell. Kind of dislike this trend. I like the approach spyderco has with various high hrc tool steels with actually ergonomic proven user knives. Using less costly handles to make them more affordable than the full ti stuff. Drop works with them too but other than making special sprints specifically for drop there's no reason to get one via drop otherwise due to map pricing, and the long delay for shipping even if it's a standard model.

In any case I don't want to not buy or support Bob but those drop models are ugly as sin and mostly hype. I've got a bt1000cf which is his design manufactured by three rivers and I enjoy it enough that I'm happy enough and don't have to buy those models on drop to support him. More power to him if you want to buy them. Your safe will feel more full and your wallet lighter.

Overall as I said before, I only use drop when it's worth it. I buy a few times a year at most for items I can't buy somewhere else or there is a substantial deal to be had.

I don't buy based on materials, action and looks alone anymore. Alot of other things matter. I've learned Alot from collecting and using many knives and watching the stupid trends in the industry. I know for a fact watching comments and conversations that most consumers buying these napkin knives are clueless. Just want materials for the money and a fidget cube that has a sharp edge. Doesn't have to perform above standard stuff cause they won't ever find out. The addiction that is knives is crazy these days and I remember not to long ago knife buying was on the decline. We just needed 10 Chinese companies to mass manufacture 1000s of designs for small napkin knife designers in small batches to change that.

Seems like anyone can make a knife design now and it sells. That's what I feel this industry is now. Drop is feeding that trend. Doesn't matter if it's performance or style based or whatever. As long as it's ti with a lockbar insert and bearings or whatever material qualifications pre concived at a specific price it will sell. Ergos, Heat treatment, geometry, etc don't matter to this market it would seem. I mean they just don't get that aspect for the most part.

Getting your ideas on a napkin and sending them to we knives its gonna sell. Kind of dislike this trend. I like the approach spyderco has with various high hrc tool steels with actually ergonomic proven user knives. Using less costly handles to make them more affordable than the full ti stuff. Drop works with them too but other than making special sprints specifically for drop there's no reason to get one via drop otherwise due to map pricing, and the long delay for shipping even if it's a standard model.

In any case I don't want to not buy or support Bob but those drop models are ugly as sin and mostly hype. I've got a bt1000cf which is his design manufactured by three rivers and I enjoy it enough that I'm happy enough and don't have to buy those models on drop to support him. More power to him if you want to buy them. Your safe will feel more full and your wallet lighter.

Overall as I said before, I only use drop when it's worth it. I buy a few times a year at most for items I can't buy somewhere else or there is a substantial deal to be had.

I don't buy based on materials, action and looks alone anymore. Alot of other things matter. I've learned Alot from collecting and using many knives and watching the stupid trends in the industry. I know for a fact watching comments and conversations that most consumers buying these napkin knives are clueless. Just want materials for the money and a fidget cube that has a sharp edge. Doesn't have to perform above standard stuff cause they won't ever find out. The addiction that is knives is crazy these days and I remember not to long ago knife buying was on the decline. We just needed 10 Chinese companies to mass manufacture 1000s of designs for small napkin knife designers in small batches to change that.
I wouldn't call folks working with CAD and CNC software 'napkin designers', but you have a point. I don't agree entirely with everything you said, but I can see where you're coming from - it does feel like everyone is coming out with a production model these days.

Reactions: Mo2
What's wrong with using a paper napkin to sketch an idea?

You've probably heard of the architect Frank Gehry ? A couple of his most renowned buildings were inspired by pieces of wadded up paper thrown into the air and then allowed to fall onto the ground. See Disney Hall for an example.

Design is found where it's found. Doesn't matter where an idea is formed or how it's originally recorded.

A good friend of mine named his architectural/design firm "Back of an envelope" because he often used pieces of scrap paper to sketch out ideas that came at otherwise inconvenient moments. His ideas are more important than the medium he chooses to use to capture them.

I guess I just don't get the animosity shown towards Drop. If I don't like something they're offering I simply don't buy it.

Last edited:
Back