Massdrop - Laconico Keen Spear-Point Folding Knife - Anyone seen this?

I paid for the FF Buc and the Terzuola CTF but this one just doesn't grab me like those other ones. Seems very vanilla.

Just signed up for this. Looks to be a great knife. Several design options including lefty models. Designed by Ray and produced by WE Knife.

I apologize if this has already been posted. I just got the email on it.

Anyone else jumping on this one? This and the Terzuola are the only ones that have really made me hit the "join" button.

Link Removed - Easy enough to find.
I'm on Pre-order also. It's not coming out until sometime in october.

My point is, you can be a conscientious objector and still not know what you're buying.
You can keep whatever attitude that you want, that's your right, but before you claim how you're supporting it, you best make darn sure you know what you're buying.

Only one sure thing in life.

I think I prefer the size and look of the Kizer Yorkie to this. Just wish they left those fancy pivots off the Yorkie

The unique problem with Massdrop is with their in-house collaborations. If MD offers a deal on a Delica, no big deal. The Delica will be available elsewhere, sometimes for a better price. The MD designed knives are different. There's no other place to get them than from Massdrop.

When we discuss a MD design, even without links to their website, it's almost impossible to not approach the "value" element of these knives. Typically, the value is a significant factor when considering a MD design. Once we contrast the value of a MD design to competitive options, we've portrayed the MD knife as a "deal".

This is the slippery slope. If we can avoid any discussion relative to the value of a MD designed knife, we should be fine to discuss at will. I don't think that's really possible. By calling the MD knife a deal, we've deal spotted for a unique item at a non-supporting vendor. It's not like someone can go buy the MD Gent from BladeHQ, it's exclusive to Massdrop.

This is the interpretation used by the management here in the discussion thread I quoted earlier; Massdrop is a vendor and as a result needs the related level of membership.

Problem is, Massdrop doesn't quite fit the mold as a simple knife vendor. They're involved in more of the design and manufacturing than any vendor I can think of. From all appearances they seem to be enjoying financial and critical success as a hybrid knife designer/manufacturer/vendor. Success will bring other people trying to copy the Massdrop model. Hey, if it works for MD, it'll work for "brandX", right?

The simple solution would be for Massdrop to pony up the relatively minor $ to have a vendor membership. I think that may only be a temporary fix. As the lines get blurred between designer/manufacturer/vendor, the onus may be on Blade Forums to accept a new breed of player in the world of production knives.

But people talk about knives all the time from manufacturers that aren’t members here. I inderstand your point that one could typically buy the discussed knife from an affiliated vendor.

There are custom makers knives spoken about where you can only get them from the custom maker who is not a member.

I hear you. That's why in another post somewhere I mentioned that it seems to me that Massdrop attracts a disproportionate amount of hatred. It could be that they tend to get singled out because their success has come fast and repeated and the old skool has more trouble with that than a single, custom knife maker getting some forum love.

The TUKK Kickstarter is dated July 2015, while searching for the Rexford RUT on AZCK brings up entries as early as April 2014.

I also don't see much, if any, similarity between the TUKK and RUK, other than then both using the same blade from X-Acto, but tell that to the fanboys on Massdrop.

The Rut initial release was released July 2012. Tacticalkeychains, according to whois.com, didn't even have a website until the Creation Date: 22-feb-2013

Back