Massdrop/Laconico Keen

halden.doerge

I'll Sharpen Your Knife
Gold Member
Who's picked one of these up? Tell us your thoughts. I'm currently kicking myself for not grabbing one from the original drop, but the word is that they will be available again for purchase soon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But yeah, who has one? Love to hear some thoughts and see some pics!

In case there are lurkers...per Ray Laconico (talked to him on IG), there will be more of these for sale, on or around November 14. :D:thumbsup:

I received mine last Friday and I actually sold it and shipped it out to someone yesterday. I really wanted to like the knife, but it just didn’t work out that way.

Tz6AN1R.jpg

Anyway, I posted this in response to another members questions about the knife:

I don’t know how critical I can be, I’m not a professional reviewer and sometimes I think a lot of folks are just out to pick nits. But how about this:

The good:
I like the size of the knife and the grind of the blade. The blade has a nice chamfer on the spine. The framelock has a satisfying “click” when it engages, and it’s got a steel insert to prevent lockstick and an overtravel stop. It’s a push button style flipper and it works well(I don’t have a ton of experience here, so find some grains of salt to take). It takes a little shake to drop shut, which I prefer. The purple color is awesome and the fit and finish are great for a $139 knife.

The not good:
The knife is heavy. I carry a Presidio II auto that’s heavier, but it’s also a very overbuilt knife in my book. The blade stop pin is a different setup than I’m used to with my axis lock Benchmade and compression lock Spyderco knives. It’s a pin through the blade that runs through a little groove in the titanium handles. I feel like it could potentially cause lock rock. I also don’t like the tension/lack of flexibility on the clip, or the way the clip digs into my hands when I hold it.

It’s a good knife, but not for me. Right now I feel like I’ll end up selling it to fund another purchase.

Sidebar:

The Alliance Designs Laconico EZEs are up at BHQ. Reate production. $360-$430, iirc. Multiple variant options. Not loving the tanto blade.

The MBK EZCs and Minpins appear to veeeerrrrryyyyyyyy closely resemble Kizer production. Pocket clip is dead on match to the Kizer Yorkie to be released next year.

Sidebar:

The Alliance Designs Laconico EZEs are up at BHQ. Reate production. $360-$430, iirc. Multiple variant options. Not loving the tanto blade.

The MBK EZCs and Minpins appear to veeeerrrrryyyyyyyy closely resemble Kizer production. Pocket clip is dead on match to the Kizer Yorkie to be released next year.

I want that Kizer Yorkie as well. That's due out next year? Any idea when next it'll drop? Fingers crossed for the first quarter.

I like my keen. The purple is a really nice look. I did have one issue so far. After 2 days, the pivot became very loose and I had to do a little maintenance and add some loctite to the pivot screw. That should fix it, but I haven’t had that issue with other We built knives.

I want that Kizer Yorkie as well. That's due out next year? Any idea when next it'll drop? Fingers crossed for the first quarter.

Not sure exactly when, but the person running their IG says 2019, and it has been picturedand partially spec’d on BHQ for months. Despite Reate being involved with the EZE, I think the EZCs at $225 are going to be the real win. The pictures up on the MBK site look outstanding. The single groove ti handle pattern was used, with a drop point. If it’s Kizer production, probably .12” S35VN stock, so it should be a good cutter. Even has a sharpening choil. Madness.

Edited to add: just realized it’s almost definitely Kizer. Ray’s partner at MBK is Sanford Owen. He’s the dealer who had the exclusive first release of the Ursa Minor. Not sure if their Minpin will be the same production or somebody like WE.

Last edited:

If it's like the Envoy, it'll be sweet. I think Kizer does a great job with their smaller knives, and that one could have been a big sleeper hit if more people tried it.

Not sure exactly when, but the person running their IG says 2019, and it has been picturedand partially spec’d on BHQ for months. Despite Reate being involved with the EZE, I think the EZCs at $225 are going to be the real win. The pictures up on the MBK site look outstanding. The single groove ti handle pattern was used, with a drop point. If it’s Kizer production, probably .12” S35VN stock, so it should be a good cutter. Even has a sharpening choil. Madness.

Edited to add: just realized it’s almost definitely Kizer. Ray’s partner at MBK is Sanford Owen. He’s the dealer who had the exclusive first release of the Ursa Minor. Not sure if their Minpin will be the same production or somebody like WE.

Who’s releasing the EZCs? Sorry, I’m sure I should know, but I don’t.

Who’s releasing the EZCs? Sorry, I’m sure I should know, but I don’t.

There’s a mailing list through the Monterey Bay Knives website. Not sure how the distribution will go. Pricing is supposed to be $225, per their response on IG. Haven’t got sizing specs, yet. Based on the pocket clip and how that clip looks on the Yorkie, I’m spitballing... about 4” handle, 3” blade, .12” thick blade, S35VN steel, about .46” handle thickness. Slightly less contoured than the Gemini, so it’s flat-ish with very round/soft corners. Looks perfect, honestly. This is the production Laconico I’ve been waiting for.

There’s a mailing list through the Monterey Bay Knives website. Not sure how the distribution will go. Pricing is supposed to be $225, per their response on IG. Haven’t got sizing specs, yet. Based on the pocket clip and how that clip looks on the Yorkie, I’m spitballing... about 4” handle, 3” blade, .12” thick blade, S35VN steel, about .46” handle thickness. Slightly less contoured than the Gemini, so it’s flat-ish with very round/soft corners. Looks perfect, honestly. This is the production Laconico I’ve been waiting for.

Nice! Just added myself to that list! Looks awesome.

I just looked at their pics again. The hardware and pocket clip, as well as the flipper tab, are different takes on the same type. The EZC looks like Kizer production. I’m guessing the Minpin is WE. The wash and flipper look like the Keen versions. Haven’t seen the Keen clip to compare that.

If I’m right, Laconico will have Reate, WE, and Kizer collaborations release in a 3 month period.

I just looked at their pics again. The hardware and pocket clip, as well as the flipper tab, are different takes on the same type. The EZC looks like Kizer production. I’m guessing the Minpin is WE. The wash and flipper look like the Keen versions. Haven’t seen the Keen clip to compare that.

If I’m right, Laconico will have Reate, WE, and Kizer collaborations release in a 3 month period.

That’s good. His designs definitely merit wider distribution.

I received mine last Friday and I actually sold it and shipped it out to someone yesterday. I really wanted to like the knife, but it just didn’t work out that way.

Tz6AN1R.jpg

Anyway, I posted this in response to another members questions about the knife:

I don’t know how critical I can be, I’m not a professional reviewer and sometimes I think a lot of folks are just out to pick nits. But how about this:

The good:
I like the size of the knife and the grind of the blade. The blade has a nice chamfer on the spine. The framelock has a satisfying “click” when it engages, and it’s got a steel insert to prevent lockstick and an overtravel stop. It’s a push button style flipper and it works well(I don’t have a ton of experience here, so find some grains of salt to take). It takes a little shake to drop shut, which I prefer. The purple color is awesome and the fit and finish are great for a $139 knife.

The not good:
The knife is heavy. I carry a Presidio II auto that’s heavier, but it’s also a very overbuilt knife in my book. The blade stop pin is a different setup than I’m used to with my axis lock Benchmade and compression lock Spyderco knives. It’s a pin through the blade that runs through a little groove in the titanium handles. I feel like it could potentially cause lock rock. I also don’t like the tension/lack of flexibility on the clip, or the way the clip digs into my hands when I hold it.

It’s a good knife, but not for me. Right now I feel like I’ll end up selling it to fund another purchase.

I got the exact same one. I think the heaviness you feel is because of the balance issue, this knife is much more handle heavy because the blade is very thinly ground. I suspect the model with groove or holes may have a *slightly* better balance.

I'm not sure how I missed this release, probably too many emails from Massdrop and it got lost in the mix.

I'll likely jump on the next batch. I really like the Laconico's Kizer has put out. After spending some time with them the other night, I'm pretty surprised more people don't talk about how great they are.

33247796010_d144063d33_h.jpg

I got the exact same one. I think the heaviness you feel is because of the balance issue, this knife is much more handle heavy because the blade is very thinly ground. I suspect the model with groove or holes may have a *slightly* better balance.

It’s possible. The weight wasn’t a huge deal to me but it was noticeable. I wanted to like the knife. The purple color was gorgeous and Massdrop got a lot of the details right. It just didn’t click for me. I’m on a spyderco kick right now, so there’s probably something wrong with my brain.

Back