Massdrop/Laconico Keen

Ordered the bronze with portals today.

Read a lot of high remarks for this knife, my question is about fit and finish. Will one company surpass CRK, and not look back? Will someone have tighter tolerances and quantify them? Are multiple manufacturers going to blow by without it being mentioned?

I used CRK as a measuring point because they hang their hat on machining ability, this post isn’t meant to down any company in anyway.

Ordered the bronze with portals today.

Read a lot of high remarks for this knife, my question is about fit and finish. Will one company surpass CRK, and not look back? Will someone have tighter tolerances and quantify them? Are multiple manufacturers going to blow by without it being mentioned?

I used CRK as a measuring point because they hang their hat on machining ability, this post isn’t meant to down any company in anyway.

Reate and high-end WE knives are on par with CRK in terms of fit and finish, but are also priced similarly to CRK. It’s hard to compare a knife that costs half (or less than half) of a CRK. That said, I’ve been impressed with the quality of the Massdrop collaborations that WE has produced. Certainly among the best production quality you’ll find in this price bracket.

I agree with what you’re saying, price is the main consideration, I’m sure there’s an endless list of customs and mid techs that are setting the standard. I have the Blackstar and Massdrop Terzoula which are both well done but the scales on the Terzoula leave a lot to be desired, anticipate WE kills it with the Ti scales on this Keen and their productions.

With almost unanimous praise, It seems this knife is as close to perfect F&F for a knife well below CRK/midtech prices. Im looking forward to delivery.

I agree with what you’re saying, price is the main consideration, I’m sure there’s an endless list of customs and mid techs that are setting the standard. I have the Blackstar and Massdrop Terzoula which are both well done but the scales on the Terzoula leave a lot to be desired, anticipate WE kills it with the Ti scales on this Keen and their productions.

With almost unanimous praise, It seems this knife is as close to perfect F&F for a knife well below CRK/midtech prices. Im looking forward to delivery.
I've been a CRK owner and fan for a fairly long time. My KEEN is among the most impressive knives I've ever owned, and would be a SOLID bargain at $300 when the entire package is considered - materials, F&F, and most importantly (IMHO) the stupendous design - must be used to know of what I speak.

I hate you all.
For some reason, Massdrop cant ship knives to my country.....Which is kinda sad, considering that they can ship knives to UK, where are all people scared even by sharp piece of wood.
End of rant.

I understand you, I had the same problem.
Luckily I have in-laws in Germany so I let be shipped there and they forward them to me in Austria.

N Nautique Noone likes splinters :mad:
Sedit Sedit Lucky you. I was thinking that I could somehow get around it. Like using a Shipito adress in USA and then sending it to Europe. But also Shipito cant really ship knives. I think it is not worth the trouble.

Oh man...you guys are killing me. I gotta stop looking at this thread. Im in Canada and seriously contempating ordering one of these. Is the quality that great? Really? Ive been thinking of buying one for a while now. I love the shape of everything, handle and blade. The only thing that has been hindering my imminent purchase is the flipper tab. Looks like it sticks out pretty far. Any issues with this.. in pocket or in use? Thanks.

Oh man...you guys are killing me. I gotta stop looking at this thread. Im in Canada and seriously contempating ordering one of these. Is the quality that great? Really? Ive been thinking of buying one for a while now. I love the shape of everything, handle and blade. The only thing that has been hindering my imminent purchase is the flipper tab. Looks like it sticks out pretty far. Any issues with this.. in pocket or in use? Thanks.
Order 2 and I’ll split it with you. :thumbsup:

There have been no ergonomic issues reported by anyone I've seen. None I have personally experienced either. It's perfect.

You simply cannot beat this knife for the price... you will not be disappointed.

The flipper tab hasn’t been an issue for me, it carries in my pocket so it stays out of the way. If I’m nit picking I wouldn’t mind a couple of lines of jimping, sometimes when wet (or not) my finger slips off it. But hey - they’re selling very quickly on the exchange so if you get one and don’t like it...

Here are some pics of my bronze with groove........uh, just because we need more pics here.
DSC00161-X2.jpg

DSC00162-X2.jpg

DSC00163-X2.jpg

I haven't had a chance to take any pics of the bronze with portals that arrived last week yet. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

The quality is top notch, as good or better than any ZT twice the price and the flipper tab is hardly noticeable when I reach in my pocket. The flipper is also nicely chamfered and the pocket clip has the perfect ramp to it IMO
gZGKBc8.jpg

Back