Massdrop/Laconico Keen

Had some questions about the different finishes, successfully satisfied my curiosity about which would show wear in the most appealing way (to me), and talked myself into picking up the grey/grooved model. :D

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts, impressions, and especially photos in this thread! :thumbsup:

I own the smooth bronze sw keen and it is a fantastic production knife. Had mine for a while now and has held up nicely. Probably my favorite in my collection honestly (under $200 knives) and i plan on picking up the portal and groove versions as well maybe in the other colors. The action is very good on my example, the blade shape is awesome and thin bte, the lock bar disengages with minimal effort, perfect edc size for me, and not to mention its a looker and a performer. My only small gripe is the slightly handle heavy balance from the fat backspacer but not a big deal really and being a knifenut theres always something we would change right? I think you will enjoy the keen quite a bit and if you dont ill buy it off you!

Edit: Btw the smaller gent is really great also and i would highly recommend picking up both of those md collabs. I put some custom green Od micarta scales on mine and will be holding on to both models in my collection.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite in my collection honestly

I'm pretty excited about it! The number of comments along these lines in this thread is a big part of what sold me on it (after seeing it mentioned in the ongoing "slicy EDC" thread).

I've never handled a Laconico custom, but production Laconico knives have always struck me as a bit bland. But once I started really looking at the Keen, and from different angles -- and especially with the added, yet still minimalist, flourish of the groove -- it really grabbed me.

And somehow, in 2019, my collection doesn't include a single Ti/Ti framelock flipper. :eek: This won't be my first ever, but I've never held onto the ones I've previously owned for long; the Keen ticks a lot of personal boxes, and at an attractive price point.

It’s still my favorite production folder, ever. Only my custom EZC edges it out for favorite overall.

...edges it out.

Heh.

I’m keen on that joke.

How does the custom compare to the ezc production folder? I came very close to grabbing one (production) but i already own too many 3" blade folders and generally like to carry larger knives. I know Kizer OEMs for Monterey bay knives EZC and ive always been happy with my Kizers. the custom must be even better. I do like the Laconico designs.

How does the custom compare to the ezc production folder? I came very close to grabbing one (production) but i already own too many 3" blade folders and generally like to carry larger knives. I know Kizer OEMs for Monterey bay knives EZC and ive always been happy with my Kizers. the custom must be even better. I do like the Laconico designs.

The size, weight, and style capture the spirit of the custom. If you’re a hardcore Laconico fan, the blade shape might stand out as a departure, and the high/deep hollow Ray does on the custom is nuts. I like the production version a lot, but the custom is the knife that finally unseated the Keen as my favorite overall knife.

The size, weight, and style capture the spirit of the custom. If you’re a hardcore Laconico fan, the blade shape might stand out as a departure, and the high/deep hollow Ray does on the custom is nuts. I like the production version a lot, but the custom is the knife that finally unseated the Keen as my favorite overall knife.

I do favor a high hollow very much over a flat grind. Sounds like i need to check one out. Appreciate the input.

The tracking on this knife is an experience. Shipped via PostNL, a Netherlands carrier, from China to the Netherlands and then to the US. USPS tracking knew about it too, so I assume they're the destination country-shipper; if their tracking updates again I'll know for sure.

Still really excited about the Keen. :D

The tracking on this knife is an experience. Shipped via PostNL, a Netherlands carrier, from China to the Netherlands and then to the US. USPS tracking knew about it too, so I assume they're the destination country-shipper; if their tracking updates again I'll know for sure.

Still really excited about the Keen. :D
I just ordered one yesterday, the grey grooved model. I thought shipping would take a few days (it’s supposed to ship tomorrow). How long is your wait supposed to be?

I just ordered one yesterday, the grey grooved model. I thought shipping would take a few days (it’s supposed to ship tomorrow). How long is your wait supposed to be?

Mine took like, 3+ weeks from the date they sent me the "It just shipped" email to when it showed up at my door. Came from China by way of the Netherlands and NY City. Fantastic knife, but Drop does not have anything resembling timely shipping.

I'd say prepare for a long ass wait, and then if comes quick you get to be pleasantly surprised rather than annoyed for the next few weeks. :D

Ahhhh well... I didn’t expect that. But that’s cool, everyone seems to love theirs so much I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.

Ahhhh well... I didn’t expect that. But that’s cool, everyone seems to love theirs so much I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.

It definitely is. This one's my second. Never shoulda sold the first, but I think this one may be dialed in slightly better. Super thin behind the edge, slices great, flips amazingly. Everything an edc flipper should be.

Got my tracking # this morning. Now I wait.

I’m not very good at waiting for something like this.:(

Got my tracking # this morning. Now I wait.

At least with mine, tracking showed it was just sitting in China waiting for pickup for like five days. Then, as if by magic, it was in the Netherlands the next day. I don't think it's super real-time or accurate tracking, so don't panic if your knife appears to be on a shelf. ;)

I just hope our relations with China don’t get any worse until it reaches the Netherlands.:eek: :D

My Keen just arrived, and gosh this is fantastic knife for its price point. My example is flawless and the level of finish is on par with Golden Spydies and ZT knives. Color me excited and impressed!

Many thanks to this thread for talking me into one. :D :thumbsup:

Edit: For posterity, I placed my order July 13 and received my Keen August 1 in Washington state. That beat even my most optimistic guess by 2 days and my reasonable estimate by 9. Not bad!

th5la0K.jpg

Last edited:
I found the posts in this thread about the various finishes and options tremendously useful, so I wanted to drop back in with a quick update on my plain/grooved Keen.

I bought this version because I found it the most aesthetically pleasing, but also for two other reasons: 1) for the extra traction I thought the groove would offer, and 2) for the snail trails, buffing, and other scratches the bead-blasted Ti would acquire.

The groove does indeed give me a little extra purchase on the handle. Not enough that I'd say it should sway anyone away from an ungrooved handle, but I like how it feels. My fingertips snug right in there when I'm cutting something, and my thumb naturally seeks out the groove when I'm opening the knife. (Size L glove, fairly long fingers.)

The bead-blasted finish is everything I hoped it would be from a "make this knife my own" standpoint. :) Here it is after 18 days:

CrxD6Xl.jpg

This is not the type of knife I ordinarily buy, but reading this thread spurred the impulse and I ordered one, bronze with the grooves. It came today. Actually, Saturday, but I missed the notice, and just picked it up at the PO.

It is pretty nice, with higher production values than I am used to. The RR2038 also came today.

Last edited:
I’ve been waiting for mine (grey/grooved) for 3 weeks now. In the meantime, I picked up a purple plain one from someone here, and to be honest, I’m not crazy about it. I’m thinking about putting it up for sale, and when the grey one gets here, if I don’t like it any better I might put that one up, too. Sometimes I’m just too impulsive for my own good.

A lot of people love theirs, and they get great reviews, but maybe it’s just not for me.

I’ve been waiting for mine (grey/grooved) for 3 weeks now. In the meantime, I picked up a purple plain one from someone here, and to be honest, I’m not crazy about it.

Out of curiosity, what is it about it that you're not wild about?

Three weeks out, fingers crossed that your grey one is close. :)

Back