• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

massdrop pricing fails

There are many many examples, but it boils down to this:
prices are higher than online retailers AND you have to wait 1 or 2 months for shipping...

The latest massdrop 'deal' is 2 kershaw shuffles for $30...

bladehq has them for $12 each (a bf supporter)

I'm not saying each and every massdrop is a failure, but it seems most don't make the cut

Massdrop does some cool things with Ferrum Forge, other than that I can't say I really see the point of the site.

Their WE Knives collaborations are probably what interests us here on BF the most. Their Spyderco blue box deals are sometimes fun for those who want to gamble.

Yep, it's hit or miss. The Spyderco Efficient is the same price as BHQ but MD has free shipping. So a bargain shopper might save a few bucks on shipping for a sub $99 knife over the big knife retailers now and then.

I have the site bookmarked, look at it once a week, and have yet to buy something.

I have my eye on the bradford guardian 3.5 in nitro v. But i have a 3 and 4 so not that tempted.

I only get stuff from MD when it's a deal or hard to find. So I only order once or twice a year.

Alot of times they just goto a dealer and make it so they both make money on the "deals" else no point in doing it for either. They used to be all about group buys, and in some instances this does work. They guarantee a certain amount of sales and can provide a bulk discount on the item. But overall it doesn't work for the majority of items. Amazon is fairly hard to compete with too.

My Bestech Goblin was cheaper on Massdrop than any other retailer. It included free shipping and arrived in a few days. I’ve been pleased with the WE Knives manufactured Ferrum Forge Buc and Gent and the Laconico Keen. All of those were reasonably priced when compared to regular WE Knives of similar construction.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from Massdrop. Don’t like the price then shop elsewhere. I don’t understand why it’s necessary to start a thread like this.

Last edited:
Personally, it’s been hit or miss for me, but I’ve had some great luck with Massdrop and I’m really glad they are a supporting member here now.

I’ve picked up; a Kershaw Leek CF for about $15 off the standard pricing, the carbon fiber Gent Select (I got it for $80), several Moraknivs for a great price, a Fallkniven DC4 for under $20, and a TITANIUM Chaparral for $125. I purchased all those items on Massdrop for less than I could find them anywhere else (some significantly cheaper).

Because of the processing and shipping time, I used to only check Massdrop for the rarish awesome deal...

Things have changed.

I now check the site almost daily to see if any great collabs have popped up.

So far I’ve got in on; a Massdrop exclusive pure copper AAA flashlight (it’s a Lumintop Tool with a digital switch instead of mechanical and a Nichia 219c LED instead of a 219b), an exclusive Rike Hummingbird (for $80 no less) in green AND purple (they usuallly only come in one color... and usually no purple which is my wife’s favorite color), and the one I’m most excited about of all... A Spyderco Delica in Super Gold steel.

All three of those are exclusives you could have only purchased from Massdrop and I was very happy for the opportunity to do so.

P.S.
The Laconico Keen is another amazing collab. Wish I would have gotten in on that.

Last edited:
You definitely can't simply trust that you're getting a great deal, but there are certainly deals to be had on Massdrop.

Their exclusives are often quite nice too. My Zinker Dogtooth, a Massdrop exclusive, is one of my favorite knives.

IMG-20190302-112156-560.jpg

You just have to do your research, like with any other retailer. My favorite "deals" are always the stuff that retail for $5 and are marked down to $4.99. Cracks me up every time.

Some of their collaborations (either Laconico or Ferrum Forge and WE) have been OK. IMO, the Keen and the Gent (moderate quality and comparatively low-cost) and the Buc (mostly because of the novel blade shape) were modest winners. I still keep an eye on them and I’m on their email list in case they come up with another winner but other than those three, they haven't inspired me to buy in on anything else.

Personally, it’s been hit or miss for me, but I’ve had some great luck with Massdrop and I’m really glad they are a supporting member here now.

I’ve picked up; a Kershaw Leek CF for about $15 off the standard pricing, the carbon fiber Gent Select (I got it for $80), several Moraknivs for a great price, a Fallkniven DC4 for under $20, and a TITANIUM Chaparral for $125. I purchased all those items on Massdrop for less than I could find them anywhere else (some significantly cheaper).

Because of the processing and shipping time, I used to only check Massdrop for the rarish awesome deal...

Things have changed.

I now check the site almost daily to see if any great collabs have popped up.

So far I’ve got in on; a Massdrop exclusive pure copper AAA flashlight (it’s a Lumintop Tool with a digital switch instead of mechanical and a Nichia 219c instead of a 219b, an exclusive Rike Hummingbird (for $80 no less) in green AND purple (they usuallly only come in one color... and usually no purple which is my wife’s favorite color), and the one I’m most excited about of all... A Spyderco Delica in Super Gold steel.

All three of those are exclusives you could have only purchased from Massdrop and I was very happy for the opportunity to do so.

P.S.
The Laconico Keen is another amazing collab. Wish I would have gotten in on that.

When did they become a supporting member?

Edit. Nevermind I found it.

I'd like to see another run of the Perpetua, which I missed the first time around. I was very impressed with the design and execution of the Gent, though I don't really get along with liner/frame locks.

I’ve had good luck with Massdrop. If I can get an off-the-shelf production knife at a lower price with no wait, it’s a no brainer. This isn’t rocket science. I really think the production drops have supported their short runs and one-offs.

Where Massdrop excels is at the unique collaborations they bring to market at usually attractive price. My Eric Ochs is inbound and I can’t wait to see that knife.

All in all, I think Massdrop does a good job filling a unique niche in the market. I’ve never understood why they attract the irrational rage that gets funneled their way...although they really need a P.R. pro to handle communication!

Back