• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

massdrop pricing fails

I have picked up a couple of lights and knives from them over the last few years with the last being the AD-10 for $119.99 and free shipping...that is $20 less than other retailers and I caught it late in the process and only had to wait about 2 weeks for delivery. As most have said, they are hit or miss but I have found they are worth keeping an eye on.

Given the tone and general animus shown towards them in this thread I'm not surprised they don't participate more.

Yea... I think the tone was a bit harsher than it needed to be on some of the posts in this thread. :(

I think a part of that comes from seeing items with slow shipping times at sometimes less than competitive prices... And not knowing that Massdrop had become a supporting Dealer. I myself am guilty of going a little hard on companies that aren't supporting members here.

There are some deals and really cool exclusives to be had if you look around and have some patience though.

You definitely can't simply trust that you're getting a great deal, but there are certainly deals to be had on Massdrop.

Their exclusives are often quite nice too. My Zinker Dogtooth, a Massdrop exclusive, is one of my favorite knives.

IMG-20190302-112156-560.jpg

You just have to do your research, like with any other retailer. My favorite "deals" are always the stuff that retail for $5 and are marked down to $4.99. Cracks me up every time.
Man, I almost went in on that drop. The lock isn't too crunchy like on some other Boker Zinkers?

The exclusives are what is worth coveting (WE, Reate, Gavko, Zinker etc) Regular drops of regular production knives aren't really the bread and butter for most collectors I think.

The Keen is the single best knife value I've personally encountered. I have a Crux due for delivery tomorrow. Some of these collaborations are remarkably good values.

Yea... That Keen is one I’m really kicking myself for not jumping on before the purple ported version sold out. A buddy of mine has a bronze, unported version. It’s a sweet, sweet knife.

The requirement to signup before browsing kills the site for me.

They are capturing your personal data while you shop and not really passing on much in return.

Yea... That Keen is one I’m really kicking myself for not jumping on before the purple ported version sold out. A buddy of mine has a bronze, unported version. It’s a sweet, sweet knife.
Keep an eye out for a new Keen drop. The Massdrop collaborations guy has said that there will be another one, probably later this month.

The exclusives are what is worth coveting (WE, Reate, Gavko, Zinker etc) Regular drops of regular production knives aren't really the bread and butter for most collectors I think.
To me most of them are not worth it. The reate ones and spydercos, sure. I can't argue some are good like the Keen. But it's rare. I'm not a fan of most of the other collabs.

Hype, trends, popularity and weird things sell... But im mot buying that stuff. I made a mistake getting the falcon. Never gonna do that again.

My advice after 3 drops, pay the little extra and get it elsewhere! :rolleyes: Drop 1-fine. Drop 2-no knife (said I wasn't logged in.) They did somehow manage to charge me :confused: I was eventually refunded. Drop 3-wrong color knife. They don't issue pickups so I have to print the return label, make sure I have the authorization in the box, take it to UPS and notify Massdrop when it ships. All because they sent the wrong knife. PASS :thumbsdown:

To me most of them are not worth it. The reate ones and spydercos, sure. I can't argue some are good like the Keen. But it's rare. I'm not a fan of most of the other collabs.

Hype, trends, popularity and weird things sell... But im mot buying that stuff. I made a mistake getting the falcon. Never gonna do that again.

I'd agree with the hype and left-field things gaining traction simply because they are those things. I don't let those influence my purchasing so much.

I've been really pleased with the models they've offered that could not be had elsewhere and have been lucky enough that the only defect I've experienced was a tiny, tiny bit of detent bounce on the Terzuola CTF w/ the CF scales. I didn't even bother asking for a return or refund because it's a great knife and the detent is still plenty more than safe.. but that's just in the sample of knives that I have bought. Many exclusive collabs I didn't bother with. I never messed w/ the Ferrum Forge collabs early on, and still haven't. The keen seems like a great knife, but I have a North Arm Skaha V2 in CF, I can't see the keen really competing with it on any level. Perhaps I am wrong.

what was up with your Falcon?

Reactions: Mo2
Help me out guys, what's massdrop?
It started as a group buy network. They'd put together 500 people who want to buy a widget and negotiate a good price for 500 widgets from the widget manufacturer. Massdrop buys the widgets and sells and ships the widgets to the 500 customers.

They're involved in a wide range of markets from outdoors gear to quilting supplies, but a big part of their business is EDC gear and knives in particular.

Much of the time, due to MAP restrictions, they don't offer a price that's any better than an online knife retailer. In addition, the orders are placed in a block and the customers end up waiting for the knife while the manufacturer fills the order.

A couple of years ago they started negotiating special runs of existing knives. I think one of the first I remember is the Boker Urban Trapper in S35VN steel. Then they began to work directly with certain designers, hook them up with manufacturers and bringing knives to market that truly can't be found anywhere else.

They've worked with great names like Bob Terzuola, Ray Laconico, TJ Schwarz and Eric Ochs and funneled those designs through great manufacturers like WE, Reate, Millit and Ferrum Forge.

Some say that they're nothing but a vendor but I disagree. On the collaborations projects they have a broad group of "civilian" knife knuts that they run prototypes through and really help in refining designs before they go into production. Massdrop is involved in optimizing designs and work from the feedback of actual knife users.

I'm not sure that many of these excellent collaborations would exist if Massdrop didn't coordinate the process.

I hope this helps more than a link.

Man, I almost went in on that drop. The lock isn't too crunchy like on some other Boker Zinkers?

It's the favorite Zinker I own.

No lockbar crunch. It's actually really light, like a good gentleman folder. It is COMPLETELEY opposite of the lock bar crunch feel in my Boker Urban Tracker and Mini Urban Tracker, which are like nails on a chalkboard.

Attachments

• E6C5B71D-7785-435E-A486-C2064C1F1E99.jpeg
    E6C5B71D-7785-435E-A486-C2064C1F1E99.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 7
It started as a group buy network. They'd put together 500 people who want to buy a widget and negotiate a good price for 500 widgets from the widget manufacturer. Massdrop buys the widgets and sells and ships the widgets to the 500 customers.

They're involved in a wide range of markets from outdoors gear to quilting supplies, but a big part of their business is EDC gear and knives in particular.

Much of the time, due to MAP restrictions, they don't offer a price that's any better than an online knife retailer. In addition, the orders are placed in a block and the customers end up waiting for the knife while the manufacturer fills the order.

A couple of years ago they started negotiating special runs of existing knives. I think one of the first I remember is the Boker Urban Trapper in S35VN steel. Then they began to work directly with certain designers, hook them up with manufacturers and bringing knives to market that truly can't be found anywhere else.

They've worked with great names like Bob Terzuola, Ray Laconico, TJ Schwarz and Eric Ochs and funneled those designs through great manufacturers like WE, Reate, Millit and Ferrum Forge.

Some say that they're nothing but a vendor but I disagree. On the collaborations projects they have a broad group of "civilian" knife knuts that they run prototypes through and really help in refining designs before they go into production. Massdrop is involved in optimizing designs and work from the feedback of actual knife users.

I'm not sure that many of these excellent collaborations would exist if Massdrop didn't coordinate the process.

I have to give them credit--they make a lot of cool exclusives for people who read this board, more ordinary production knife offerings for people who don't (a far larger crowd) and genuinely weird things like custom keycaps for keyboards for that "community". I didn't even know that was a thing, much less a community, until I saw it there.

Thank you sir!

Back