Massdrop x Ferrum Forge Mordax

Hi

Just saw this on Massdrop. I'm thinking about signing up.

Since I own the Massdrop Laconico Keen and love it and I always wanted a Protech this could be perfect for me

What do you think?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-ferrum-forge-mordax-button-lock-folder

zTtEa9k9R1GCvjkYzsGJ_AI7B0450-copy-banner-final.jpg

jT0MJIXpRxyTDUvFBBhy_AI7B9067-copy.jpg

oLaACjTThGRwkvhiib9o_AI7B3481-copy.jpg

Sincerely yours
Matt

Was thinking about getting one but think its a little over priced for the materials used so bought a Klotzli Border Guard instead. Kind of tired of flippers anyway so trying to find knives without flippers that still have good action. The Protech is a nice looking knife though.

I ordered the DLC coated blade, black milled handle. However I do wonder about the ergonomics on the milled handle, some of millings look to have sharp corners. I wonder if I should be waiting for a CF handle or a different milling pattern. The plain aluminium just looks way too boring.

Really sweet design, I hope Protech releases more button lock flippers in the future. I can't justify the $260 though, around $180 would seem more appropriate to me. You can get full TI framelocks with marbled CF from ZT for the same price....

Really sweet design, I hope Protech releases more button lock flippers in the future. I can't justify the $260 though, around $180 would seem more appropriate to me. You can get full TI framelocks with marbled CF from ZT for the same price....
Exactly. There are very few button lock flippers with a great, snappy action. Now compared to ZT which there is a plethora of premium framelock flippers with a great action. It is the competition of the framelock flipper market that drives down the price. People often rave about the Freeman 451 flipper, for the S35VN model is $275 and not DLC coated.

Last edited:
The price, bearings, and the grind killed it for me. I absolutely love the profile. But the knife design seems confused to me. Is it an EDC knife? Then why on Earth is it ground .030" behind the edge? Is it for rougher use? Then why is it using 20CV and tiny pivot bearings? In any case, the best thing about Massdroo collaborations are that they're so good for the money, and this doesn't feel like a discount in any way.

Protech released the Cambria, a great button lock flipper, a few years ago, and it falls well within your budget. It's suprt light for a 3.5 inch blade, and it's 154cm that is ground really well, and the stonewash finish is awesome. I think it's between $140 and $200 depending on the blade finish and handle inlay options.

I've only ordered from Massdrop once, and I was unhappy with the way they handled the preorder and communication. If I ever order from them again, and this knife is really tempting me, I'm going to wait until they actually have the knife in stock. They also usually have some extra options when the knives are in stock, so I also want to wait and see if that happens.

Overall, I don't think the price is out of line for what they're offering, Protech makes great knives. I'm definitely interested, but I refuse to do preorders through massdrop or anyone else from now on.

the price is the one thing that is killing it for me right now

$263.64 for blue milled handle + shipping

Then because live in Austria I cant ship directly to me it has to go to family member in Germany.
then I have to pay tax which is about another 50$
and then I still need to have it shipped to me in Vienna Austria.
So insured shipping another 15-20$

that's just too much

I received mine today, detent was perfect out of the box but after about an hour of flipping the detent started to harden. After about 100/200 times it won’t open at all without fully depressing the button lock and giving it a wrist flip. It’s stuck, it won’t flip and I can’t pull the blade open.
I figure I will contact Massdrop/Protech but I cannot remember a time when I was this disappointed in blade.

I received mine today, detent was perfect out of the box but after about an hour of flipping the detent started to harden. After about 100/200 times it won’t open at all without fully depressing the button lock and giving it a wrist flip. It’s stuck, it won’t flip and I can’t pull the blade open.
I figure I will contact Massdrop/Protech but I cannot remember a time when I was this disappointed in blade.

I had the same problem. I put a small drop of oil on the inside of the button and it is back in action.

Freedom Pullo Freedom Pullo it seems to me that it’s the lip of the button which provides the detent in the closed position that is experiencing lock stick. Try a drop of oil in that spot and let me know if that clears it up.

Seeing a lot of people complaining about fit and finish issues on Massdrop, such as uneven grinds, blade centering that's off, on top of this button lock stick that seems to be universal. Anyone else have one of these that they can weigh in on? Looks like a fantastic knife overall, plagued by things that shouldn't be happening.

Seeing a lot of people complaining about fit and finish issues on Massdrop, such as uneven grinds, blade centering that's off, on top of this button lock stick that seems to be universal. Anyone else have one of these that they can weigh in on? Looks like a fantastic knife overall, plagued by things that shouldn't be happening.

That’s weird, given that ProTech is known for having good build quality.

That’s weird, given that ProTech is known for having good build quality.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it yet, as many individuals always find some reason to complain about knives. I will reserve my judgement until I get it in hand. On that note, Massdrop doesn't offer package tracking to Canadian customers, so I have no clue when my package will arrive(was suppose to arrive on the 14th, didn't.) or if it even made it through the border.

The manufacturers that Massdrop partners with for their exclusives are usually pretty good (WE/Protech).
From my experience Protech has great fit, I will keep you updated after I hear back from them.

Bought mine off of here a few days back and I've been playing with it for the entire 24 hours I've had it. Haven't had a single issue and the fit and finish is normal Protech quality, so fantastic.

The aluminum felt a bit weird at first, but maybe I'm just used to titanium at this point. Feels great now though. I've had 3 or 4 button lock flippers, including the Cambria and Freeman, and this is my favorite by far.

Yeah I almost bought that one but the color was not my favorite. I want plain Jane grey. This will be a day one purchase if they drop again. Bet it is addicting to fidget with.

Alright it's been another day, its loosened up a bit more and is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

The price originally had me skeptical, but the aluminum is nice, and Protech just makes a really nice knife.

The clip on the milled versions is the only slight issue. It catches the pocket a bit too much but it isnt that bad. Might even be wearing in.

FB_IMG_1560744679404.jpg

Just got a blue plain handled one a little while ago out of the mail, and it had a perfect detent for a while when I got it out of the box. After a few hours of flipping, the detent locked the blade up unless I used the button to "axis flick" the blade open. A small amount of lubricant on the button edge on the inside loosened it right up. I'll be flipping this knife a lot tomorrow and if y'all would like it, I can report on my findings after flipping the knife on if the detent strengthens again or not.

Back