Massdrop

It there an official stance on Massdrop?

Can you link to a Massdrop sale?

Can you not link to one but still promote the Massdrop sale?

TheMoreYouKnow!

you cannot link to massdrop, they are not a vendor here.

jury is out if you can link a poll from massdrop tho for us to vote on. a moderator would have to weigh in on that.

no promoting the sales, but you can mention the knife in question and talk about it.

it would be really nice IF bladeforums had a connection with massdrop so we can vote on knives that we want, instead of most of the junk that massdrop offers.

i wonder if one of the vendors here is the vendor providing massdrop with the knife in question, if that would be acceptable to link. tho they dont often give out the vendor information, if you ask them, they may tell you. i had a warranty issue with a product i had and they told me the vendor in question. so who knows for sure, but regradless i dunno BF stance on that. i would assume not, because its still going through massdrop.

Can you link to a Massdrop sale?
Can you not link to one but still promote the Massdrop sale?
In a discussion forum, no and no. Not a BF vendor. It would be deal spotting.

i wonder if one of the vendors here is the vendor providing massdrop with the knife in question, if that would be acceptable to link. tho they dont often give out the vendor information

IMO, still no.
If the BF vendor wants to identify on his own web site that such a sale is happening, and provides a link to his own web site in a thread in the "for sale by dealers", that might be OK. Think I'd want other mod opinions on that, though. That's off in deep right field right at the edge of foul territory.

There's a Massdrop Falcon folder that seems like we can definitely talk about and perhaps even link to since the knife company is Massdrop even though it's designed by Ferrum Forge and made by WE Knife Co. Kind of like some Spydercos that are designed by someone other than Spyderco and made by a company in Taiwan.

MD-35357_20170403134328_d4df47009408a046.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Frank, no linking allowed. The topic can be discussed ad nauseum if desired, the moment I see links to sales threads I'm editing and writing infractions.

So, if the one and only source of direct information about a knife is only from the knife maker you still can't link to it?

For instance, can one put a link for a Zero Tolerance 0801TI from the Zero Tolerance website since they're the knife maker but not a BF dealer nor have a BF manufacturer's forum and the knife can be sold via the ZT website?

Massdrop is not a company devoted to the manufacture of knives. They are a dealer only. Since they do not have a dealer membership here, we do not direct sales to them. Even if it is a special factory order.

Kai is a manufacturer. You can link or point to a manufacturer's web site.

Reactions: Mo2
Good to know for full disclosure. Thanks.

Massdrop is indeed overwhelmingly a dealer/reseller of knives and other objects but with the Falcon and other expected models they're also approaching or surpassing most knife makers in size and scope.

So, one can mention Massdrop and the model number they produce as well as specs & prices but no linking to Massdrop?

Last edited:
It would be best not to, the same rules apply to Massdrop that would apply to Amazon or Wal-Mart in a thread, as they are basically all involved in E-commerce and bulk purchasing. It will be treated as deal spotting. Nothing against a good deal, but this is a large scale bulk purchaser. As such, rewording it won't change that fact. They have a knife with their name on it and that shouldn't be the focus of the conversation.

I'm waiting for the Amazon knives! :)

Heck, Amazon is everywhere now. Bezos will rule them all! :)

Massdrop with their Falcon model proved that they could raise major sums with the association of Ferrum Forge as designers and WE Knife Co. as manufacturers. So, Massdrop is the maker in our manufacturing parlance. I guess Massdrop would have to set up a separate enterprise for such endeavors.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the Amazon knives! :)

Heck, Amazon is everywhere now. Bezos will rule them all! :)

Massdrop with their Falcon model proved that they could raise major sums with the association of Ferrum Forge as designers and WE Knife Co. as manufacturers. So, Massdrop is the maker in our manufacturing parlance. I guess Massdrop would have to set up a separate enterprise for such endeavors.

No, they are not. Massdrop neither designed the knife nor manufactured it. Massdrop just ordered it and sold it. That makes them a dealer only.

No, they are not. Massdrop neither designed the knife nor manufactured it. Massdrop just ordered it and sold it. That makes them a dealer only.

Slippery slope.

Without Massdrop the Falcon (at 2,000+ to be produced) would not have existed. Remember, Ferrum Forge and WE were just collaborators.

So, in your definition, you have to both design and manufacture a knife to be considered a manufacturer on BF?

I can name dozens of knife makers who only design knives and have them manufactured by various reputable knife manufacturers.

Tough to pin things down while unnecessary.

Not really. If they aren't a paid dealer, don't deal spot for them. Simple.

Thanks guys for the clarity. I will try and ask MassDrop to signup. i would suggest others do the same for the communities sake.

i dont want any infractions.

Excellent point. No doubt certain big box stores and sites like Ali******* do exactly the same thing. and promoting their sales would be a clear violation.

And yet there is an active discussion about (but not linking to) one of Massdrop's current "offerings."

Is that not in violation of Post #3 above?

Last edited:
Time for a bump, in that we now have a discussion in GKD discussing Massdrop pricing....but without a link.

My understanding that a link was not necessary to constitute a deal spot. Saying something like

"Well Amazon has knife X at price Y." was a deal spot. Maybe I can find the exact quote from the mod.

This was knarfengs post in a thread where prices and vendors were mentioned and the OP argued it was not a deal spot due to there being no link

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/
8) No Deal Spotting
BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions.

The boilerplate for Deal spotting warnings is a bit clearer:
"Please do not post links to auctions, deals, bargains or other offsite promotions. Dealers who want to advertise are encouraged to purchase a Dealer membership, paid subscriptions keep BladeForums.com open.
We appreciate your support and hope you will work with us."

Leave the dealer name out of it. That includes hints.

In a discussion forum, no and no. Not a BF vendor. It would be deal spotting.

IMO, still no.
If the BF vendor wants to identify on his own website that such a sale is happening, and provides a link to his own website in a thread in the "for sale by dealers", that might be OK. Think I'd want other mod opinions on that, though. That's off in deep right field right at the edge of foul territory.

Hey there,

We finally made an official account and also signed up to be a dealer. Let us know if this helps allow people to post about Massdrop blades. Glad to be finally official here.

Back