Matt Roberts Damascus Bowie ++ IMPORTANT Notice re Best Bowie 2020

Greetings all,

First off, I'd like to share a terrific damascus bowie by Matt Roberts that landed on my doorstep a short while ago. This Matt's first effort at a coffin handle, and it gave him fits. By my count, two previous handles on this blade were demolished because Matt wasn't happy with them. His perseverance certainly paid off.

This is the first knife I have owned with Curly Movingui wood. Heck, I'd never even heard of it before! It is quite stunning - the depth, shimmer and vibrancy of Koa but more dense and solid.

The 1084 / 15n20 damascus is rendered in a stunning pattern.

Blade length 8", overall 12.75"
416 ss guard
Sheath by maker.

Beautifully photographed (as always) by Coop.

xlarge.jpg

Now about Best Bowie - due to some personal circumstances, I will not be able to run the thread this year. I don't know if Lorien is able to take it up on his own (or at all for that matter) but if it is to be run this year it seems that someone will have to step into the breach.

Past threads are there for reference - feel free to cut and paste the rules and just roll with it. Nominations traditionally open on Dec 26th and we try to select a final overall winner by Jan 1st. I will definitely try to participate, but I just won't have the time avaialable to minitor and run the contest this year.

And whether or not it happens this year, I'll certainly aim to run it again in 2021.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Roger

my real life requires 110% of my focus and attention, and there is no extracurricular time. I will, however, be applying myself in ways which honour the spirit of this thread.

H1ICJkd.jpg

Let me just say one thing about the atmosphere we all find ourselves in during a pandemic. The virus is an equal opportunity attacker. It doesn't care about humans individually, in fact it doesn't care at all. We are all susceptible which means the only way to come out on top is to band together. Which, in this case, means staying physically apart.

This forum can serve as a place for us to band together, because we all need a little interaction. To support each other and recognize each other's worth. I don't think that this is a time for competition- albeit, I am not particularly competitive by nature- but more a time to come together.

I'm thinking that a universal 'retrospective' thread for both makers and collectors to share their custom knife experiences would be just the ticket. No losers, only winners. A big ole KUMBAYA thread is what I think we could all use, but that's just my take.

Maybe ask that each poster only take one post so nobody hogs the thing, but everyone can edit and change their own posts in order to organize their retrospective and add to it as they think of cool things they did.

Roger, your long time patronage of Matt Roberts shows what I think is the best in custom knife making.

Beautiful piece and Merry X Mas Roger

Greetings all,

First off, I'd like to share a terrific damascus bowie by Matt Roberts that landed on my doorstep a short while ago. This Matt's first effort at a coffin handle, and it gave him fits. By my count, two previous handles on this blade were demolished because Matt wasn't happy with them. His perseverance certainly paid off.

This is the first knife I have owned with Curly Movingui wood. Heck, I'd never even heard of it before! It is quite stunning - the depth, shimmer and vibrancy of Koa but more dense and solid.

The 1084 / 15n20 damascus is rendered in a stunning pattern.

Blade length 8", overall 12.75"
416 ss guard
Sheath by maker.

Beautifully photographed (as always) by Coop.

xlarge.jpg

Now about Best Bowie - due to some personal circumstances, I will not be able to run the thread this year. I don't know if Lorien is able to take it up on his own (or at all for that matter) but if it is to be run this year it seems that someone will have to step into the breach.

Past threads are there for reference - feel free to cut and paste the rules and just roll with it. Nominations traditionally open on Dec 26th and we try to select a final overall winner by Jan 1st. I will definitely try to participate, but I just won't have the time avaialable to minitor and run the contest this year.

And whether or not it happens this year, I'll certainly aim to run it again in 2021.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Roger

Danggitt Roger! I cannot see your pic! My life is not complete....

That's a great looking bowie Roger from an extremely talented maker. Matt is one of those humble makers who often seems to fly under the radar but turns out some stunning pieces,
congrats.

That's a great looking bowie Roger from an extremely talented maker. Matt is one of those humble makers who often seems to fly under the radar but turns out some stunning pieces,
congrats.

Agreed with all of that - and I will add exceptional value for dollar.

congrats.

I got my first knife from my buddy Matt on these Forums over 20 years ago and have a couple to post myself for this year.

Matt is topping my list of consistent quality Bowies with a VARIETY of styles. :thumbsup::cool:

We will see many when a year-end thread emerges--in ANY form.

BB may evolve to a better format. We will see.

I absolutely dig Matt's work and my DevilFish. Can someone please hook me up on how to contact Matt ?
Thanks.
Seb

Gorgeous bowie. That’s the perfect wood for that wild damascus. Nicely balanced.

Back