May be the best $9.99 knife I've ever bought...........

Stumbled across this at a hardware store, marked down from $14.97 to $9.99.

Milwaukee Lockback Pocket Knife

moj2IlY.jpg

cFdzLbU.jpg

3" stainless (unknown) steel blade, and no-slip handles. Fulls steel liners and strong lockup.

What caught my eye, as a southpaw, is that the blade is nail nicked on both sides. The pocket clip isn't reversible though. Razor sharp, absolutely ZERO blade play in the lock, and just a sturdy solidly built knife.

I've been using it for a couple weeks EDC, and it's cut heavy boxes and various other stuff, and it's holding its edge well.

Nice toolbox beater, glove box knife for sure.

I'll have to try one. There is a large Depot for Home products that has them at that price as well.

The hawkbill fastback is a good knife too, also about $10 or $15, can't remember. The fastback razor knives are pretty good too.

I need to grab one cause I keep hearing good things about them!

Last edited:
By the way, you might find that pocket clip loosen up. I modified mine to use a more traditional belt clip, that wire one bends really easy and doesn't seem to stay very tight, my only complaint about them is the clip.

It's nice to see a good review on them. I have looked at them but didn't buy because I hadn't heard anything about them.

I just picked up a couple of these Milwaukee Lockback knife on close out for $3.95. At that price I’ll use them as throwaways on trips.

I've got one of the fast back razor knives with the button lock. Great little utility knife. Aluminum handles take a beating but don't rust. The blade change system doesn't involve any levers or knurled knobs, just a little button you push and you're done. At the time they only had the ones with the line cutter in the handle but it doesn't work well for me. If I had it to do over I'd get the smaller model without the hook cutter. Great though. This and my Leatherman are pretty much all I need.

Stumbled across this at a hardware store, marked down from $14.97 to $9.99.

Milwaukee Lockback Pocket Knife

moj2IlY.jpg

cFdzLbU.jpg

3" stainless (unknown) steel blade, and no-slip handles. Fulls steel liners and strong lockup.

What caught my eye, as a southpaw, is that the blade is nail nicked on both sides. The pocket clip isn't reversible though. Razor sharp, absolutely ZERO blade play in the lock, and just a sturdy solidly built knife.

I've been using it for a couple weeks EDC, and it's cut heavy boxes and various other stuff, and it's holding its edge well.

Nice toolbox beater, glove box knife for sure.
I've got the hawk bill fastback it's a fun little cheap beater, all though I would prefer a detent over that closed button lock and would love to know the steel, any one have a clue on steel type??

JD Mandrell JD Mandrell
Thanks for the thread.
I have a friend at church who works in the trades and who keeps losing his pocket knife. He's had several. We have a gift exchange coming up where you give a $10 gift to someone in the group. Having read the thread here, I decided a $10 dollar knife for my friend might be just the ticket. At least if he lost it, it wouldn't be a major financial loss. I bought one at an online site for $9.97 to give to him. I took it out of its packaging to sharpen it, oil the joint, and evaluate just what I was giving.

Have to say I'm impressed with the knife.
Zero play in the lock.
Handle has excellent ergonomics. Very secure and comfortable in the hand
Built like a brick telephone booth with thick FRN and steel liners. Feels SOLID in the hand.
Looks to have bronze washers between the handle and the blade.
The blade has a stonewashed finish. The shape and finish allow it to be pinched open, even when wearing thick leather work gloves.
The tang of the blade is 0.118" thick. It's ~0.025" just above the bevel.
According to my sharpening session on the Sharpmaker, the edge angle is ~15° per side.

Have no idea of the steel or its performance. When I had it on the Sharpmaker it did not have that mushy feel that you get on steels that are 54-55 hardness, so it seems promising enough. Won't be able to test it. But I've read a couple of favorable usage reports across the web and have found no negative ones.

I have some perspective on my friend's needs. I worked in the building trades for a spell myself a few decades ago. IMO, for a workman's knife that is going to see rough and maybe abusive usage, this'll do.

Nice, I still use mine a lot around the house, it's one of my "go to" beaters, and it's still going strong.

Back