• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

May have bought a clone here.

So purchased a knife last Thursday night. Here..
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/1-zt-4-spydercos-1-benchmade.1641135/

Said ill take it pending a couple questions. Did it include original box?
Was the choil marred from sharpening or any marks on blade? He deleted the original posting I assume since ice messaged him. You can only tell he was even selling it from pics and bc its in title. He replied with the same thing that was in the short description, "blade sharpened nicely" or something to that effect. Anyways upon inspection it is nearly recurved, the sharpening isn't even and the choil is marred.

I should give a detail of the description since he deleted it.
Zt 0450 s35vn steel nicely sharpened excellent condition deep carry clip

Well its in horrible condition dings everywhere. Pocketbclip is in terrible shape, that's not a big though. But the scales have some hard use wear.

So original box? I don't know the sticker containing the serial number has been removed. Making it quite hard to authenticate the knife.

So with all that said I said to myself " you win some you lose some". But then today a few hours ago upon closer inspection I noticed a difference in color/anodization of the red stand offs. One is a bright red the other a more maroon dull red. So is it a clone? I don't know... Is maybe the scales real one stand off real, then the blade and everything else from a clone? I don't know.

I reached out to him an over and hour ago. His profile page onehunter shows activity and other messages. Then I found the thread in which I bought it and the description is gone.

What should/can I do about this?

Clone or no clone, ask to return it. If you paid PP G&S there should be no problem-if he won't take it voluntarily, file a claim. If you pd. F&F you will need his cooperation.
See what happens and if there is a problem, contact a moderator. I believe they can see the original posting. Keep all correspondence in case you need it.
Let him know about this thread , so he has a chance to respond

Thanks for reply .I did pay f and f bc I have never had any issues here. While I do and would like to think its legit. The stand offs should not be different colors.

So, he didn't answer your questions about the knife's condition and you bought it anyway? Hope you used PP G&S. If he continues to ignore you, file a claim with PayPal.

**Edit: I see you used F&F but I don't get why. The sales thread says free shipping and seller covers PP fees.

Just my 2 cents but probably not a great idea to leave neg feedback before even trying for some mutually agreeable resolution. Good luck.

Last edited:
He did answer. He was quite annoyed because I didn't like using profile messages. I like to be private and use email. Not a paying member atm.

He said "nicely sharpened"

My suggestion:

Give the Seller more then an hour or 5 before posting in GBU.

If you have paid via Paypal Goods and Service, and after civil discussion with the seller feel you have been wronged you can contest the charge via Paypal.

If you paid Friends and Family then you need to understand what you contractually agree to (edit: per paypal terms and conditions), before doing so (edit: as you have put yourself in a precarious position).

Last edited:
Thanks for reply .I did pay f and f bc I have never had any issues here. While I do and would like to think its legit. The stand offs should not be different colors.
I was afraid you were going to say that. If by chance the payment was linked to a credit card you have some options there(as thread progressed-ADVICE NO LONGER APPROPRIATE TO THE SITUATION). He does have some rep, so maybe he will come through.
I am no qualified to say clone or no clone, but surely someone will be along soon that can
You were a bit hasty leaving negative feedback, before seeing if this could be resolved. There was time for that latter.

Edited to correct my mistakes in judgement

Last edited:
Yeah I guess we will see. But he's been on this website on different parts everytime I've checked, 5+ times. Last time said he was on his profile page. Pretty sure he should have gotten a notification. Also sent him an email.

Eh I guess its a lesson learned. It was a $100 knife. If someone wants to rip me off that bad take it.

Wouldnt make that mistake buying $2k custom.

So, he didn't answer your questions about the knife's condition and you bought it anyway? Hope you used PP G&S. If he continues to ignore you, file a claim with PayPal.

**Edit: I see you used F&F but I don't get why. The sales thread says free shipping and seller covers PP fees.

Just my 2 cents but probably not a great idea to leave neg feedback before even trying for some mutually agreeable resolution. Good luck.

The knife wasn't as advertised. Iant that what feedback is for?

I was afraid you were going to say that. If by chance the payment was linked to a credit card you have some options there. If not you will have to depend on his honesty, which is a bit questionable already misrepresenting the item and taking F&F on a goods & services transaction, or peer pressure. He does have some rep, so maybe he will come through.
I am no qualified to say clone or no clone, but surely someone will be along soon that can
You were a bit hasty leaving negative feedback, before seeing if this could be resolved. There was time for that latter.
Was not as advertised. Is that what it's for?

A deal did happen
It can be for sure, but if he gives you your money back, by rules no deal happened and thus no feedback. So as I said a little early before all has played out.
I would definitely recant if I get what I paid for.

I still want this knife. Just in the condition I bargained for with the necessary extras.

I waited until I noticed him ignoring me and deleting the post. I assume he blocked me as well. His communications were terrible. How do you sell and not know that A LOT of people don't want tracking posted on their profile.

I apologize but the fact that if he does except a return that means I have to go out of my way to go to post office and return this. This is causing me much issues which I would like to inform others about. Which is what I think the feedback system is and about.

Never ever pay FandF. Are you friends or family with this guy? No? Well then paying FF you are actually scamming paypal.
How its 3ish % either way. I'm going to plead insanity and tell them I wasn't sure what I was doing because I wasn't. He wasn't a business. I thought that's what gs are for.

I apologize. I'm starting to get really frustrated. I feel as if people are acting like I did something wrong with the feedback.

I'm trying to be polite....lol

Maybe I did respond quick but obviously this dude doesn't care -or has me blocked and hasn't seen any of this.

Glad to know if a member is doing wrong by others ... so thank you for that ... but here now ...

So you ripped of PayPal ... and you're upset that someone ripped you off?

Do you see the irony here?

Now I hate people misrepresentimg knives for sale ... but NO ONE ... should buy with F&F ...

the only hope you have is that the seller is a stand up guy (which it appears he isn't from this) ... but pray he will undo the deal as it should be ...

if he does I hope you realise the mistakes you made ... and if he doesn't then I hope you learn from the mistakes you made.

How its 3ish % either way. I'm going to plead insanity and tell them I wasn't sure what I was doing because I wasn't. He wasn't a business. I thought that's what gs are for.
F&F is anytime your are sending money with no expectation of getting anything in return. G&S is for buying and item. The fees that the seller pays gets you protected if the seller is a flake. Calming “insanity” is pretty lame since your agreed to PayPal’s terms and conditions regarding the use of F&F when you signed up. Every thread where someone got scammed ends up with “I paid F&F”, “sucks to be you, use G&S”

I hope this ends well you everyone, but you didn’t help yourself.

F&F is anytime your are sending money with no expectation of getting anything in return. G&S is for buying and item. The fees that the seller pays gets you protected if the seller is a flake. Calming “insanity” is pretty lame since your agreed to PayPal’s terms and conditions regarding the use of F&F when you signed up. Every thread where someone got scammed ends up with “I paid F&F”, “sucks to be you, use G&S”

I hope this ends well you everyone, but you didn’t help yourself.
I know..I know..like I said glad it was $100 and not $2k. I really didn't think id have issues over a $100 knife with someone who sold that knife on a forum where they pay $10 a month. At least that's what it was years ago when I subscribed.

Edit: I'm done thinking about this tonight. I did see on his profile he was last viewing this thread. Wonder why he hasn't had any response?

It’s something like $30 a year now.

Scammers are out there. I always insist on using G&S. If the seller pushes for F&F, I pass. There are plenty of knives out there, and another will come up eventually.

Back