Maybe a teaser for a new Voyager blade shape?

Just saw that as well. You are quick! Definitely looks like a keris, and seems to be pretty well ground.
It’s an awesome video but i wished cold steel also consider introducing more knives on the 3-3.5 inch blade length.

Good video! I'm a big knife guy as well. Watched this with a cup of Death Wish coffee in hand. :)

It would be fantastic if CS were to bring out a kris type blade hopefully in a 5.5" or 6" blade size. Despite Thompson's praise of large folders I think CS has backed off on bringing out large folders lately. On another note; it makes me groan when someone like the poster above wishes CS would bring out more small folders...the world is awash in small folders!!! Cold Steel is already producing more small folders than they should be for pity's sake.

edited-image_5.png

Looks awesome!

I’m all about more xl’s, especially voyagers!Whip up a wharncliffe voyager while you’re at it. And yes if you want small folders there are already millions of them out there. Big folders are cold steels bread and butter, it would be a shame if they got away from them.

It would be fantastic if CS were to bring out a kris type blade hopefully in a 5.5" or 6" blade size. Despite Thompson's praise of large folders I think CS has backed off on bringing out large folders lately. On another note; it makes me groan when someone like the poster above wishes CS would bring out more small folders...the world is awash in small folders!!! Cold Steel is already producing more small folders than they should be for pity's sake.

Heh.. im not attacking or discouraging your preferences but you should also respect that other people has preferences too. There’s many large CS knife options for you and there’s no reason to be offended when someone ask for more smaller(or technically “standard”) size folders. Providing more variety for wider audiences and larger addressable market should help the business too.

I love Cold Steel as much as everyone here, and I probably have more CS folders than most people here(at 80+ and counting). For sure i can buy spyderco, benchmade or ZT too, but i prefer to buy cold steel, and I prefer 3-3.5” blade.

Like you, i have my preference too. So you do you, and i respect that. I’d not be groaning because you are free to pursue what you like.

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread. The new blade shape looks awesome. I wonder how the factory is making it, must be a nightmare to grind and put an edge on. Also there should totally be a double edge version of this, like the traditional keris.
Not sure cold steel planned it intentionally, it looks like you guys are putting the correct number of curves, aka “luk” on the keris blade. It should only have odd number of luk so this looks historically accurate.

Sorry but that thing is fugly!:poop:
I like that they make unique knives, but I don’t buy knives that can’t be sharpened easily so I won’t be buying this one. Also, I wish they would update the voyager’s handles.

Double edged isn't possible because the outer edge is exposed when closed. There's no way to design it any other way, we've tried. Trying to make the blade thin enough to fit inside of the scales and be covered enough to not expose the cutting edge, makes the blade too thin. Spydie C104 ring any bells? Tiger/BUDK Godfather or whatever that thing is? It's really only possible with a stiletto and even then, the (poorly executed) ones that do exist are mostly single edged.

Sharpening: It's a self defense knife. How often are you going to use this on Amazon packages to the point of needing to sharpen it? Chances are if you use it for its intended purpose, it's going into an evidence locker forever and a new one would be purchased. A Kris was never intended to be a task blade.

Something like a sharpmaker should be able to handle sharpening, but I'd agree with CS that this probably isn't something that's going to be used to break down cardboard on a daily basis.

Double edged isn't possible because the outer edge is exposed when closed. There's no way to design it any other way, we've tried. Trying to make the blade thin enough to fit inside of the scales and be covered enough to not expose the cutting edge, makes the blade too thin. Spydie C104 ring any bells? Tiger/BUDK Godfather or whatever that thing is? It's really only possible with a stiletto and even then, the (poorly executed) ones that do exist are mostly single edged.

Sharpening: It's a self defense knife. How often are you going to use this on Amazon packages to the point of needing to sharpen it? Chances are if you use it for its intended purpose, it's going into an evidence locker forever and a new one would be purchased. A Kris was never intended to be a task blade.

Yeah you are right, double edge is really not possible. Unless the handle is made twice the width of the blade. TBH I’ve only seen a couple of dagger that can be made double edged, i.e. Hinderer Maximus and Kizer Soze. But those are liner/framelock that has more space in the handle.

It kinda shows the manufacturing prowess of your factory if they can mass produce this, without CNC grinding the blade and also putting an edge on those curves on massive scale gonna take a lot of skills.

Reactions: J V
At least in the US, making it double-edged would also make it legal in fewer places.

Back