Mayweather or McGregor

839145416_0.jpg 839697146_0.jpg
Mayweather. Hands down. Boxer

^ The most intelligent, succinct post, posted here. :thumbsup:

I'm by no means a Mayweather fan, but I was still ecstatic, that Mayweather made CM look like the clown he is! A pure, undefeated, boxing tactician. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Round 9: McGregor swarms in immediately and piles on punches against the ropes. Byrd talks to him about something, hard to tell what, and McGregor sneaks in a quick jab at Mayweather. McGregor unloads with blocked punches while Mayweather covers up. They clinch, and McGregor lands a nice jab off the break. Mayweather is unloading now. Oh man, Mayweather has McGregor hurt. Mayweather tags McGregor hard against the ropes. McGregor is fading hard. Mayweather lunges forward and connects with a left hand. McGregor looks nearly done. Twenty seconds left and Mayweather is tagging McGregor at will. McGregor is still standing. He makes it. MMA Fighting scores it 10-9 Mayweather. (86-85 McGregor.)

Round 10: McGregor holds Mayweather’s head with his left hand and paws out a few rights. McGregor continues to look to tie up. Mayweather catches McGregor hard! Mayweather swarms! McGregor is eating shot after shot! That’s it. Byrd steps in. McGregor was getting tagged against the ropes. This is done. Floyd Mayweather has defeated Conor McGregor.

Floyd Mayweather def. Conor McGregor via TKO at 1:05 of round 10

Edit: Pictures added. Good night, CM...your 15 minutes are up... :D

Last edited:
^lol nice. Thx for the play by play I was lookin for. I had better things to do last night. Like stroke my mink.

AArrrggggg!
I've drained all my Irish blood, burned every green item I own, threw out all the cabbage, and potato-s.

I'm moving to a deserted island in the south Atlantic, and becoming the first x-Pat. castaway in my family.

I've emailed Connor but he's not replying.
I can only assume that he is doing the same as me. My only hope today is that he does NOT show up on my island.

It's like Ronda all over again...

In all fairness... The ref did stop it too soon. Connor WAS about to go but he did not go down. Spilled milk now.

The outcome was what I expected. Floyd taking him into deep water and either winning a decision or finishing him late. But McGregor was surprisingly adept at boxing. Used his large size and reach advantage and actually counterpunched very effectively at times. I had it 5 rounds to 4 for Floyd before it was stopped. But my friend had it 5-4 for McGregor.

All in all, not a bad fight. The fight itself might not have been worth worth $99.95, but split 4 ways it was certainly worth it for the spectacle and it turned out to be a decent scrap. If McGregor hadn't gassed he could have won. (Although I'm sure Floyd's whole game plan and execution was designed to tire him out).

AArrrggggg!
I've drained all my Irish blood, burned every green item I own, threw out all the cabbage, and potato-s.

I'm moving to a deserted island in the south Atlantic, and becoming the first x-Pat. castaway in my family.

I've emailed Connor but he's not replying.
I can only assume that he is doing the same as me. My only hope today is that he does NOT show up on my island.

It's like Ronda all over again...

In all fairness... The ref did stop it too soon. Connor WAS about to go but he did not go down. Spilled milk now.

^ I hope that you didn't bet the house! :oops:

The outcome was what I expected. Floyd taking him into deep water and either winning a decision or finishing him late. But McGregor was surprisingly adept at boxing. Used his large size and reach advantage and actually counterpunched very effectively at times. I had it 5 rounds to 4 for Floyd before it was stopped. But my friend had it 5-4 for McGregor.

All in all, not a bad fight. The fight itself might not have been worth worth $99.95, but split 4 ways it was certainly worth it for the spectacle and it turned out to be a decent scrap. If McGregor hadn't gassed he could have won. (Although I'm sure Floyd's whole game plan and execution was designed to tire him out).

I agree.

I personally didn't pay to watch this fight. Did they explain after the fight, why the ref called a TKO, instead of issuing a standing 8/10 count? I was actually surprised by this.

No. Just a couple bucks. here, and there...
Me so sad...

I personally didn't pay to watch this fight. Did they explain after the fight, why the ref called a TKO, instead of issuing a standing 8/10 count? I was actually surprised by this.

Connor called the ref out on it.
I think it was like I stated earlier that the ref/judges/everyone involved, MAY have been looking for a small bit of history for themselves.
Mr. Byrd has had a LONG career as a ref. I believe he was a good choice but perhaps just a little too old.
He made a judgment call, and it was his to make. TKO? Not the best call IMHO but that's the game.

You all know how demanding old us folks get.
I'm going to take a nap. leave me alone!
I'll hear no more of this Tom Foolery. :D

He did exactly what he said he was going to do. Rounds 1-3 he felt him out, sized him up, and played his defensive game. The same game he's played 49 times in the past. Starting with round 4, he moved forward, and McGregor was constantly and consistently moving backwards. Never again after that point was McGregor moving forward, aggressive, or in control. The ref stopped the fight for McGregors sake. He can complain all he wants, but the rules of boxing dictate that when a man cannot defend himself the ref must stop the fight. He hadn't thrown a punch for quite some time and was taking serious punishment. He was on his way to the canvas within a punch or two, no two ways about it. The referee helped him preserve his ego ("at least he didn't knock me out!"). I believe it ended up pretty much how I expected, with the exception of seeing Mayweather be the aggressor (I didn't believe him when he said he would be that in the pre fight interview). I don't think McGregor did better than expected, I think Mayweather gave fans the fight they wanted to see instead of ending it early, another thing he said he was going to do. Watch the pre fight interview with Steven A. Smith, Mayweather told the story and the executed. It's funny how I've not seen many people talking about the several dozen punches to the back of the head McGregor delivered all through the fight, or how the refs never docked him for it....

You are correct sir on all counts.
That is why MY surprise that Connor did not just bum rush Floyd in the beginning rounds, and level his butt.

In my opinion I thought that was his only chance. That's why I predicted the fourth.
Connor HAD to nail him before then or it was Floyds open door.

I still thought Connor was much tougher than he showed in that fight.

The bad punches? There were a few but Floyd is know for that himself. Goose, and Gander to the ref...

He just simply has too much UFC training in him. You can't just turn that off, and it showed. I think that was his biggest downfall, he reverted back to his subconscious UFC style as soon as he realized he couldn't knock him out. That is also why I think it took Floyd that extra round to feel him out, his style is quite unorthodox. Floyd took Connors best shot though, and you could see the tide changing in Connors mind after that point. UFC power is not boxing power, by even the longest stretch of the imagination. I would say shot for shot, Floyd definitely landed harder and much more effectively painful punches. All in all, I think both sides should be pleased. It was better than everyone expected, and more exciting than a usual Mayweather defensive show. :D

A fighter who has specialized and excels at fighting with one single martial art (or sport) at a very high level is going to be far better at that particular art (or sport) than a fighter who has only trained to incorporate aspects of it into an overall game. For example, if the majority of "pure" MMA fighters (meaning their fight training history is only in MMA) entered a strictly Muay Thai bout, the vast majority would be beaten pretty badly by a good "pure" Muay Thai fighter (say, from Thailand or The Netherlands) in the same weight class. The Muay Thai conditioning, specific techniques, training methods, rule set, mindset, dedication, environment, etc., are unique to Muay Thai. I'm not talking about MMA fighters who actually came from a solid Muay Thai background prior to entering MMA.

You can say the same thing about any of the other "typical" arts/sports that make up MMA: boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.

A percentage of people, especially young MMA fans, expected Conor to walk in there and destroy Floyd like Conor has done to most of his MMA opponents, not realizing this fact.

For myself, the most interesting MMA fighters to watch are those who had a very solid background in a specific combat sport or martial art (such as wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, judo, karate, Taekwondo, etc.), before ever training for MMA.

As I've said before, I like Conor and the skills he brings, but he was in over his head in a pure pro boxing bout with Floyd.

Jim

I agree.

My understanding is that there is no standing 8 count under Nevada rules.

I think that there is still a mandatory 8 count but that only comes into effect if the boxer is actually knocked down and gets right up.

I was surprised Connor lasted as long as he did.

I didn't watch the fight, but saw some clips.

What's the weight difference in the two?

I was surprised Connor lasted as long as he did.

I didn't watch the fight, but saw some clips.

What's the weight difference in the two?

Floyd weight in at 149. McGregor at 153. "They" (whoever that is) says that Floyd probably came in the ring about 155 or less and McGregor up to 170. McGregor was clearly the much bigger man.

Floyd won a bronze in the Olympics at 126 lbs and fought mostly between 130-140 until going up to 147 and even 154 for a couple of his later fights. McGregor won a UFC title at 145 and at 155 and had also fought a couple times at 170.

Back