MBK - Laconico Minpin or EZC ?

mikey488

Gold Member
Does anyone have both of these knives? MBK website says "how can you pick one without the other?" I'm trying to pick one, but I would probably take the EZC, and it's not available. Have any side-by-side comparisons / reviews been done? Any convincing advocates for the Minpin over EZC?

The EZC has not been released yet, so unless someone has a custom one, there would only be one or two persons that I know of who could compare the two.

I am waiting patiently for customs to release the EZC, but I have the MinPin and I really like it. If you want one now, then you will have to get the MinPin. I have no idea how many people are on the list for the EZC, but I would guess that is is long.

It is highly likely that the Minpin will remain the production Laconico that is truest to the custom (edging out the SC Jasmine because of the SC’s blade tweaks from the original). Sanford specifically set out to deliver accuracy with that one, and really went all out to make sure that happened. Along the journey from start to finish with that model, he did a lot of learning, and based on some things he said when we talked, I think future models will feel slightly more high end production than custom. He shipped me a Minpin yesterday, and I’ll be doing a review video, as well as a video using the Laconico production models to highlight some things about the relationship of designer, producer, and builder. Those should be up within the next week or so. A thing I think will be confirmed— the Minpin will always be a special model because of that extreme faithfulness to the custom.

The EZC is the specific production Laconico I’ve been waiting for for the past 3 years. Kizer handled the OEM, but the revisions Sanford had them make between the original prototypes and final have made it very distinctly Laconico, instead of equally distinctly Kizer. I’ll be talking about that during the designer-producer-builder video, as well. [sidebar: you can see parallels with Sinkevich and Isham production models across different brands]. So... with the EZC, we’ll get what is basically the custom, except with a slight change to the flipper tab shape, and with a steel lockbar insert instead of a heat treated lock face. Slightly less true to the custom than the Minpin, yet a product I’d expect to be very, very good.

I think that, if you were to only get one, it would come down to deciding whether you want the feel of a custom, and Ray’s unaltered vision, get the Minpin.

If you prefer production details like a lock bar insert instead of heat treated lock face, the EZC will be the better choice for you.

I’m giddy to get hands on these.

It is highly likely that the Minpin will remain the production Laconico that is truest to the custom (edging out the SC Jasmine because of the SC’s blade tweaks from the original). Sanford specifically set out to deliver accuracy with that one, and really went all out to make sure that happened. Along the journey from start to finish with that model, he did a lot of learning, and based on some things he said when we talked, I think future models will feel slightly more high end production than custom. He shipped me a Minpin yesterday, and I’ll be doing a review video, as well as a video using the Laconico production models to highlight some things about the relationship of designer, producer, and builder. Those should be up within the next week or so. A thing I think will be confirmed— the Minpin will always be a special model because of that extreme faithfulness to the custom.

The EZC is the specific production Laconico I’ve been waiting for for the past 3 years. Kizer handled the OEM, but the revisions Sanford had them make between the original prototypes and final have made it very distinctly Laconico, instead of equally distinctly Kizer. I’ll be talking about that during the designer-producer-builder video, as well. [sidebar: you can see parallels with Sinkevich and Isham production models across different brands]. So... with the EZC, we’ll get what is basically the custom, except with a slight change to the flipper tab shape, and with a steel lockbar insert instead of a heat treated lock face. Slightly less true to the custom than the Minpin, yet a product I’d expect to be very, very good.

I think that, if you were to only get one, it would come down to deciding whether you want the feel of a custom, and Ray’s unaltered vision, get the Minpin.

If you prefer production details like a lock bar insert instead of heat treated lock face, the EZC will be the better choice for you.

I’m giddy to get hands on these.

Great feedback. I still need to snag a Minpin...

He said last week on his Instagram page that there “might be a little delay” on EZC production that Sanford Owen was working through with Kizer.

Thanks to RBid and Daniel for the information. :thumbsup:

Going to get the Minpin ... for now....:)

Thank you for letting me pour out my enthusiasm for all things Laconico!
I would love to gett an EZC when they're available. I've seen an option to get email notifications, but nothing in the nature of a pre-order or wait list. Am I missing something?

I would love to gett an EZC when they're available. I've seen an option to get email notifications, but nothing in the nature of a pre-order or wait list. Am I missing something?

Nope. Just an email list. Sanford is possibly considerate to a fault. He wants to let everyone know ASAP, and let them order from that point. Sounds like he’s making progress resolving the delay.

How do the weight and blade thickness of the two knives compare?

I haven’t weighed them, but advertised weight of the Minpin is 2.8oz, and the EZC feels very slightly heavier side by side. Stock thicknesses are .16” for the Minpin, .12” for the EZC. The Minpin feels slightly thinner behind the edge. I don’t have calipers, but I’d estimate .017-.019 for the Minpin, .019-.021 for the EZC based on feel. They each cut pretty well and carry great.

f5gOwjO.jpg

The EZC will be launching Friday.

Got my minpin on Monday. It's a very nicely made knife, but the detent is extremely strong.
I don't know if I got an unusual one, or if it can be adjusted outside of sending it back.
I left an email on MBK website but have not heard back from them on it. I really want to love this knife.....

Got my minpin on Monday. It's a very nicely made knife, but the detent is extremely strong.
I don't know if I got an unusual one, or if it can be adjusted outside of sending it back.
I left an email on MBK website but have not heard back from them on it. I really want to love this knife.....

I’ll touch bases with Sanford tomorrow. He may have missed the mail. He’s hellbent on providing good service.

Make sure that you are not pushing on the lockbar. Mine is pretty stiff, also and I am left handed and I was also pushing on the lockbar making it impossible to flip open. Now, I make sure that I keep my thumb on the clip instead.

Thanks Daniel & RBid
I noticed that any pressure on the left side affected the pressure needed to flip but didn't note specifically the lockbar.
So I was flipping it with my thumb, laying it in my right hand and it worked very much easier; I'll watch to at see exactly how my fingers are holding the left side.
It's kind of a dilemma, as the harder you need to push, the more tightly you grip... :( which makes it harder to open ....... :)

Thanks Daniel & RBid
I noticed that any pressure on the left side affected the pressure needed to flip but didn't note specifically the lockbar.
So I was flipping it with my thumb, laying it in my right hand and it worked very much easier; I'll watch to at see exactly how my fingers are holding the left side.
It's kind of a dilemma, as the harder you need to push, the more tightly you grip... :( which makes it harder to open ....... :)

Not sure how much you’ve broken it in, but per the action portion of my review, I can’t fail this sample. The one I reviewed will be going to Slicey Dicey next, and I’ll have my keeper arriving in the next couple days.

Good review RBid. :thumbsup: I've got the problem solved after watching you open your Minpin. I need to avoid the lockbar altogether which is not hard, but not what I'm used to. My hands are extra large and my
fingers fat. I think that possibly the milling on the lockbar is so sharp on the edge next to the blade that it holds the blade if there's even slight pressure is on it. Probably it will be less sensitive as the knife is used.
T.Y.! :D

Good review RBid. :thumbsup: I've got the problem solved after watching you open your Minpin. I need to avoid the lockbar altogether which is not hard, but not what I'm used to. My hands are extra large and my
fingers fat. I think that possibly the milling on the lockbar is so sharp on the edge next to the blade that it holds the blade if there's even slight pressure is on it. Probably it will be less sensitive as the knife is used.
T.Y.! :D

Happy to help! The sample I got broke in quickly and very nicely!

Back