MBK - Laconico Minpin or EZC ?

Good review RBid. :thumbsup: I've got the problem solved after watching you open your Minpin. I need to avoid the lockbar altogether which is not hard, but not what I'm used to. My hands are extra large and my
fingers fat. I think that possibly the milling on the lockbar is so sharp on the edge next to the blade that it holds the blade if there's even slight pressure is on it. Probably it will be less sensitive as the knife is used.
T.Y.! :D
FWIW, I have the same experience with the Massdrop Keen. Any pressure on the lockbar makes it very difficult to open. I have a few other knives that are the same way (ZT 0450, and Olamic 247 come to mind). It just takes a little new muscle memory to keep my middle finger situated off the lockbar.

How's the action the EZC? Detent strength, smoothness?

My review isn’t wanting to post from work, so it’ll probably go live overnight, but I had to address this specifically based on my sample EZC.

A lot of people are going to think it’s very strong. Maybe prohibitively. Pressure on the lock bar can make it feel very tough. However, it’s the only knife I own that I can easily flip left handed. The size of it as compared to my hand size makes it easy for me to hold it lefty with zero pressure on the lock bar, isolating the detent, which is actually very well tuned for light switch. Again, based on my sample. When it feels too strong, we tend to respond by bearing down and trying to mash harder. Instead, I find that simply lightening the strength through my middle finger leads to a clean break. My sample opens with authority every time, right or left handed.

Closing on mine— smooth, moderate-heavy resistance through the close. Swing shutty, not shake shut or drop shut. The internals are well machined. No chatter on my sample, per what is seen in the disassembly video.

My review isn’t wanting to post from work, so it’ll probably go live overnight, but I had to address this specifically based on my sample EZC.

A lot of people are going to think it’s very strong. Maybe prohibitively. Pressure on the lock bar can make it feel very tough. However, it’s the only knife I own that I can easily flip left handed. The size of it as compared to my hand size makes it easy for me to hold it lefty with zero pressure on the lock bar, isolating the detent, which is actually very well tuned for light switch. Again, based on my sample. When it feels too strong, we tend to respond by bearing down and trying to mash harder. Instead, I find that simply lightening the strength through my middle finger leads to a clean break. My sample opens with authority every time, right or left handed.

Closing on mine— smooth, moderate-heavy resistance through the close. Swing shutty, not shake shut or drop shut. The internals are well machined. No chatter on my sample, per what is seen in the disassembly video.
Is there any process involved in buying one other than hitting the website tomorrow while they still have them?

Is there any process involved in buying one other than hitting the website tomorrow while they still have them?

Nope. Just check around 10am PST, per most recent update, and you should be good to go ordering. IIRC, he should have a little over 200 pieces.

I grabbed one as well, seems like we’ve all been waiting forever for this one!

OK R RBid I know we disagreed a bit a while back but I couldn't take you singing the praises of these Laconico designs any longer and had to check one out. Just ordered an EZC ;). Lets see what the fuss is about.

Grabbed one. Also have a Min Pin on the way. Will be fun to see how they stack up against each other. Been really wanting a Laconico custom so figured this is a good way to get the general feel of one before possibly dropping some more serious cash.

OK R RBid I know we disagreed a bit a while back but I couldn't take you singing the praises of these Laconico designs any longer and had to check one out. Just ordered an EZC ;). Lets see what the fuss is about.

Disagreements happen in families. It’s all gravy!

Had to add... I am so glad they made the changes from the original EZC prototype to the final. It would have been a bummer to review the first version.

Just ordered my EZC this morning, and carrying my (modified) MinPin today. Fondled both of the protos at Carmel Cutlery, and while both awesome, the Minpin's fit and finish was a notch above that of the EZC. Different OEMs. I'll write a short comparison review once my EZC shows up, and I've had a few days to cut stuff.

I went to the MBK website very early, after checking several times to see if it was open to order, and 1:40am PT, I ordered the EZC to go along with my Min Pin. I was surprised that it allowed me to place the order. But, I was not even the first one to order!! I was 4th.

I have already received shipping notice from MBK early this afternoon. I look forward to adding to my Laconico herd!

I’ve been following the progress of these two knives for a while now. I passed on the minpin when it released because I had favored the ezc. But based on the review by R RBid , I pulled the trigger on the minpin. Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

I’ve been following the progress of these two knives for a while now. I passed on the minpin when it released because I had favored the ezc. But based on the review by R RBid , I pulled the trigger on the minpin. Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

If the full satin version of the Min Pin was still available, I'd have likely done the same. I'm just not a bead blast fan, though.

Last edited:

If you like the look and size, you’ll probably love it even more in person. Everyone I’ve heard from so far has loved it!

Back