Recommendation? Mcginnis VS. Southard

Howdy all,

So for some reason the midtech worm bit me and would like to try out something to compete or replace the current EDC of xm-18 3incher. The Gerry Mcginnis Exo and Southard Avo fit the bill in terms of size and pricing even though they are less common to find nowadays. However, though much has been said of the Avo, not much can be found in terms of reviews about the Exo. I've heard (or read) nothing bad but which one outshines the other in terms of value and usage with price out of the equation? Also, any other suggestions for midtech or competing production knives that might fit the bill in terms of size? Really leaning toward midtechs but heard some people call CRK's midtechs while others refer to them as production.

I've owned both an Avo and an Exo. Honestly, neither was particularly memorable. They aren't bad knives - both have good fit and finish, decent ergonomics, have a steel that will work well enough but isn't amazing (CTS-B75P on the Avo and 154CM on the Exo). I suppose the McGinnis is a little more of a funky shape than the Southard. It also has a significantly smoother action, if that's something you value. So if you are interested in getting a no-nonsense EDC working tool, either one could work fine for you. I'd say just go for which ever appeals to you aesthetically, is better price wise, or is available to you for purchase.

Alternative options for midtechs in that size category might be the Burch midtech V series, Graham midtech (GMT) Razels, various Jarosz knives, various CKF models, the Northarm Skaha, Ferrum Forge (going back to their 200-piece midtech-style runs...nowadays they only do full custom and full outsourced production), Brian Nadeau's Micro Typhoon or Mini Typhoon (the mini is a custom), Les George VECP and ESV, and the Millit Torrent. This isn't an exhaustive list, nor is it likely that everything here will be to your taste, but these are some good midtech (in the broad sense of the term) knives I've owned or heard about.

I hope you find what you're looking for and something here helps.

Last edited:
Thanks man! Very comprehensive and in the review and is kind of what I had assumed though never owning either. Guess I'm leaning more toward the Exo because of the smooth action and saw a used one recently for sale.

Appreciate the recommendations too. Going to look into all of those except the Razel as the blade shape doesn't really do it for me. Heard amazing things about those tho. CKF seems to be putting out some really great stuff when I looked at their offerings nearly 2 years ago and good call on the Les G VECP. I was looking at a Talos and they seem comparable.

Back