Meaning of "Concealed" in Colorado Knife Laws

Hi Folks,

I am preparing for a vacation up in Boulder/RMNP this October, and I definitely want to take a good fixed blade along with me for hiking and such. Since I live in upstate NY, however, the term "concealed", as in "you cannot carry a knife concealed that is over 3.5 inches" is not as crystal clear to me as I would like (call it long-held paranoia). Any people from Colorado willing to fill me in on what qualifies as open carry of a knife? Is your fixed blade concealed if your shirt falls over part of the sheath, for instance?

Thanks!

Carry it openly and uncovered and you have no worries. Generally if you have concerns, you are probably right and could be in violation of the law in some police officers mind. That will potentially get you stopped and possibly arrested. Just carry openly and uncovered.

Law is clearly unclear as the underlined portion indicates hunting and fishing knives carried for sports use don't apply. I wouldn't risk it, just carry openly on self, or pack.

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon – unlawful possession of weapons

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:

(a) Carries a knife concealed on or about his or her person;

“Knife” means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative defense.

I missed the section on the exemptions! I am not a shirt tucked in kinda guy, so I may just play it safe and take the LT Wright Next Gen. More than capable and legal everywhere in CO concealed.

QUESTION: I've got a Schrade 5' long spear at home with a 6 inch blade. Made of a fiberglass staff with a carbon steel blade. Does anybody know if I am able to carry this in public in Colorado? Strapped to my back, open carried. I'm 18, with no felonies. Please help!

Hahahaha. Man, I haven't seen a question like this in a while... I'm pretty sure you can technically carry anything in Colorado as long as it isn't concealed and you aren't in Denver. There may be other city exemptions I don't know about. Iirc from my research, there are also some wierd laws about double edged blades, where cops measure both edges. Still not an issue if you open carry. Then there is the problem of you carrying a spear on your back like a ninja. In addition to being... reaaaaally cool... in most states, you need to prove to the cops that you aren't carrying a knife with the intent to use it as a weapon. This may be an issue for someone with a spear strapped to their back. As always, ask the cops who work in the area for a final say on the matter.

Hell yeah, thanks man. I thought I'd be able to, just don't want it getting confiscated haha. In that case I'll keep it from being strapped to my back, just hold it like a cane. Thanks again!

Wait, wait. I'm sorry for the miscommunication here. I was just more than a little amused by the question. The problem isn't back carry. It's that you are carrying a spear. Spears are not tools for camping, hunting, fishing, or everyday life. They are weapons, and most people will see them as such. I don't KNOW whether it is legal to carry one in CO. I suggest you find some cops there, explain why you want to carry this, and ask if it's legal. It may depend on whether you are taking it into the woods or of you want to carry it around the neighborhood.

Haha! I get you. I wont do anything radical. I imagine if I bring it, sheathed, to a police station and asked theyd let me know yeah?

Back