Meaning of your call sign

Mine is probably rather hard to figure out.

It was my first dogs nickname. We had dogs when I was a kid but she was my first after moving out on my own. Her real name was Rita. She was a Rott/Pit mix. She was very special to me and was my companion throughout my twenties and into my thirties. We traveled, camped and partied and she was always at my side. She has been gone for a quite a few years now. I teared up a little just typing this. I miss you Ritabear....

qTfwiuk.jpg

Here we are at my friends bar about 15 years ago. I was just a kid, maybe 22 years old, and she was just a pup. This pic is so old that it is actually a scan of a real photo.

Vr3TCT3.jpg

My hunting buddies gave me my handle Swampdog over 30 years ago because I hunted inside of swamps when the hunting dogs were running deer.

Most hunters would stand on trails that the dogs were pushing the deer down on their way to the swamp. I would put on chest waders, grab my shotgun and wade out in the middle of the swamp, sit on a small piece of high ground waiting for a buck to slip by.

When I'd get back in camp at night my friends would ask, "Well, what did you see you old swamp dog?"

I guess you spent a little time in Steinhatchee and Gulf Hammock lol. Besides the Green Swamp in Polk county and the Big Gum they are some of the most unforgiving swamps in FL. you better have your sh** together when you venture off into those slues.

It was my first dogs nickname. We had dogs when I was a kid but she was my first after moving out on my own. Her real name was Rita. She was a Rott/Pit mix. She was very special to me and was my companion throughout my twenties and into my thirties. We traveled, camped and partied and she was always at my side. She has been gone for a quite a few years now. I teared up a little just typing this. I miss you Ritabear....

qTfwiuk.jpg

Here we are at my friends bar about 15 years ago. I was just a kid, maybe 22 years old, and she was just a pup. This pic is so old that it is actually a scan of a real photo.

Vr3TCT3.jpg
What a fantastic story bear. And what a great picture with the beer in front of your beloved dog

I thought it was your birth year!!! I had the rest kind of figured out lol

It is coincidentally my dad's birth year. I'm pretty young compared to many here (25).

Means nothing now that I've grown up some, but when I signed up here I was at a time in my life when I wished I was born at a time that I could have experience the cultural revolution of the 1960's. I've over that and have actually considered changing my username, just haven't got around to it yet.

Thank you for your service.

It is coincidentally my dad's birth year. I'm pretty young compared to many here (25).

Means nothing now that I've grown up some, but when I signed up here I was at a time in my life when I wished I was born at a time that I could have experience the cultural revolution of the 1960's. I've over that and have actually considered changing my username, just haven't got around to it yet.

Thank you for your service.
Wow, had no idea you're that young.

Not sure why I thought you were older than that, just did, haha. I'm 53.

qTfwiuk.jpg

Vr3TCT3.jpg

Great story and great pics! You look really stoned or drunk in that pic! lol Maybe both? ha ha!

The word "Viking" is a translation error.
"Vik" (pronounced veek) is the old norse word meaning to travel.
Norsemen would "go a-viking" to seek their fortune and make a name for themselves.
(the difference between a Viking raid and a Viking trade was often how many people met them on the beach and how well armed the greeting party was)
I like to travel and I used to do a lot of historical recreation stuff -- so I spent a lot of time "gang a-viking". (gang is past tense of go)

The Viking age officially began in 793 at the famous lending library Lindisfarne. (the first of 3 mass withdrawls over the years -- very generous, those monks)
It officially ended 14 October 1066 (901 years and a handful or so of days before I began) at Stamford Bridge in Hastings, East Sussex, England.
The end of the viking age must have been Ragnarok, and the world has been winding down ever since.

So, you're really 1066veek?

just about everyone on the forums call me Vik -- makes it fun at gatherings, when new folks don't understand why I answer to 2 different names.

Matthew 5:13-16 โ€œYou are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

saltยทy
หˆsรดltฤ“/
adjective
    • (of language or humor) down-to-earth; coarse.
      synonyms: earthy, colorful, spicy, racy, risquรฉ, naughty, vulgar, rude; More

• informal
      tough; aggressive.

• Besides, I'm often on, in or around salt water

Back