Meaning of your call sign

Tanker, every Navy username I tried that day was already in use by someone - shipdriver, navigator (I was one on 2 ships), gator (short for navigator OR used as a reference to Amphibious Warfare ships which I was on 3Xs), SWO (Surface Warfare Officer in navy parlance), blackshoe, squid, flattop, gatornavy (refers to Amphib ships in general).

Hell, I even tried "taxidriver", a disparaging term Marines sometimes use for squids on gators.

In general, if you see a "zzyzzogeton" on a forum, it's probably me.

Tanker, every Navy username I tried that day was already in use by someone - shipdriver, navigator (I was one on 2 ships), gator (short for navigator OR used as a reference to Amphibious Warfare ships which I was on 3Xs), SWO (Surface Warfare Officer in navy parlance), blackshoe, squid, flattop, gatornavy (refers to Amphib ships in general).

Hell, I even tried "taxidriver", a disparaging term Marines sometimes use for squids on gators.

Impressive time in service zzyzzogeton. I Salute You and Thank You for your service. You miss it don't you

Handed down a few blades had to research, bladeforums first hit wid da info had to create a handle
Nut o Knives
First on Aol long time ago, after 3 hours of guessing wid da wife as everything already taken all I could come up wid
Defilogic yes someone beat me to DEFYLOGIC
Great Hearing how u All got there
Warrior and I both share da Love of dem Blades and same length in da toothes
As Always
KEEP EM SHARP

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton Did you ever spend time at Mare Island Naval Shipyard?

For all of 3 weeks. I was sent to a 2 week NBC Decontamination School there. Drove from San Diego to San Francisco over a weekend, arriving on Sunday. Checked into the Hotel. Next morning, I drove over the bridge to check in.

Someone had changed the start date, pushing it back a week, but no one notified my ship (USS CONSTELLATION CV-64). :poop:

I was a week early. o_O So I called back to North Island where the Connie was berthed and asked "What do I do?" since the ship was scheduled to get underway for a couple of weeks right after I was supposed to get back from the school, but if I stayed came back "home" and went back for the school, I'd get done while the ship was underway.

Took the PTB a couple of hours to get it all straightened out. Since they would have had to pay mileage twice, pay for 2 days of hotel already, blah, blah, blah, the solution was-

I would stay the extra 4 days (TWThF) at Mare Island "studying with the instructors", take the class the following 2 weeks, drive back to San Diego, BUT stop at Miramar NAS, catch a Space-A hop to Hawaii on a cargo plane and the ship would fly an SH-3 in to Pearl Harbor to pick me up.

Great plan. :D Bad execution. o_O Got to Miramar just fine. Cargo plane FODs an engine as we are about to take off. 8 hour delay to change out the engine. Fog rolls in after dark so we can't take off. :( Doesn't clear until 1000 the next day. :poop: We finally take off nearly 32 hours after our originally schedule time.

Finally get to Hawaii. Ooh. Ooh. There's a hurricane coming from Mexico way. All the ships in the exercise are running away from it. Away from Hawaii. Out of helo range. No CODs available. Hurricane fizzles out, Just a bunch of rain.

3 days later, I get word to go get on a plane back to San Diego as the battle group won't be going back via Hawaiian waters.

The only flight back to CONUS for the next 2 days was to Travis AFB up near ..... San Francisco. Got to Travis. Got a ride down to El Toro MCAB where I caught a CH-46 to Camp Pendleton. Caught a ride with a Marine Company down to San Diego 32nd St NavSta where they were boarding some Gators for deployment to WestPac. Took a taxi over the Coronado Bay Bridge to North Island. Spent 2 days in my apartment waiting for the ship to arrive since it was the weekend and I couldn't find anyone of North Island Naval Air Station to fly me out to the Connie as she approached SD.

All in all, that 2 week school had me off the ship for nearly 5 weeks. The CO, XO, Ops Boss (all O-6s who eventually made Flag) and the Underway Watchbill Coordinator were all extremely unhappy with the entire scenario. Fortunately, they were not unhappy with me. Especially after they looked over my trip report and saw what all I had to do to get "home".

I had a very good CPO :thumbsup: who kept my Division running in my absence, although I had a TON of paperwork to catch up on.

The only people unhappy with me and the over-all chain of events was the Supply Officer (another O-6 who later made Flag) who had to figure out who had to get paid what for my travels and the Chief Engineer, who had sent me to the school in the first place, whose budget had to be tapped to pay for it.:p

Same here - I was in naval aviation, and Airedale, Airhead, FOD, deck weenie, etc. was in use in some way or spelling. I wanted something unique, easy to find in all the clutter; at the time, the search function on some forums wasn't the best. I finally just went with my nickname.

~Chris

85-89 sounds a lot like my tour -- reservist GMG on a FF.
CASS name was Bob Rogers -- carried a cigar cutter and told folks I was a barber and part time moyl.
"A little off the top, a little off the tip....."

85-89 sounds a lot like my tour -- reservist GMG on a FF.
CASS name was Bob Rogers -- carried a cigar cutter and told folks I was a barber and part time moyl.
"A little off the top, a little off the tip....."

Hey vik is that Norse your speaking lol

Mine is a bastardization of my real name given to me many many years ago by the "Smadge" of my unit when I was in the Marines. He was one of the most entertaining people I have ever met. He would size you up in the first minute as you reported into the unit, give you a nickname and that was that. He was also the best leader I have ever worked for and looked out for us. He would go into a rage if someone messed with his Marines and discipline us hard when we messed up. I saw him go after a Gunny one day that was being a dick to us at the range. The Smadge was screaming, " I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT GETS TO FUCK MY MONKEYS !!!!!" He was crazy, but he loved us dearly.
He called me Angus with the worst Scottish accent ever heard ! I have some great memories of those years !

Mine is a bastardization of my real name given to me many many years ago by the "Smadge" of my unit when I was in the Marines. He was one of the most entertaining people I have ever met. He would size you up in the first minute as you reported into the unit, give you a nickname and that was that. He was also the best leader I have ever worked for and looked out for us. He would go into a rage if someone messed with his Marines and discipline us hard when we messed up. I saw him go after a Gunny one day that was being a dick to us at the range. The Smadge was screaming, " I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT GETS TO FUCK MY MONKEYS !!!!!" He was crazy, but he loved us dearly.
He called me Angus with the worst Scottish accent ever heard ! I have some great memories of those years !

I appreciate your service Thanks Angus. Semper Fi

Mine is pretty lame. It followed me here from TheHighRoad, a well known gun forum where I used to be much more active.
I signed up there when I had a question about my Smith and Wesson model 19-3. My name is Ben. I had really not expected to stick around there long, so I figured I'd be 19-3ben for a couple days till I got the answers I needed. I ended up sticking around, and now the name followed me here just so I wouldn't have to remember new login info!

Mine is pretty lame. It followed me here from TheHighRoad, a well known gun forum where I used to be much more active.
I signed up there when I had a question about my Smith and Wesson model 19-3. My name is Ben. I had really not expected to stick around there long, so I figured I'd be 19-3ben for a couple days till I got the answers I needed. I ended up sticking around, and now the name followed me here just so I wouldn't have to remember new login info!

Wonderful .357 a classic

The .357 is my favorite handgun caliber. I am a Ruger fan though. I have settled on 158 grain wad cutters over a stout load of 2400. It can do everything I need. From pest control to social work to woods bumming. If I truly had to I am quite sure I could kill a deer with it. It is a versatile round.

The .357 is my favorite handgun caliber. I am a Ruger fan though. I have settled on 158 grain wad cutters over a stout load of 2400. It can do everything I need. From pest control to social work to woods bumming. If I truly had to I am quite sure I could kill a deer with it. It is a versatile round.

Do you gas check your wad cutters? I hunted for years with a Ruger Old Army Blackpowder .45 220gr conicals over 30gr of FFF Goex. Dropped many a hog with that load. Within a reasonable range that is 35yrds no more than 50.

Back