Meaning of your call sign

Late as usual...

On most forums, my sign is spudley112. It was just a silly name followed by my badge number. When I came back to the forum, I could not get logged on under that name and my password reset went to an email address I no longer have access to.

I chose to create a new profile. My etc...the one knife I ALWAYS carry is my yellow Swiss Army Knife...thus the name.

I have lived and worked amongst Spanish speakers for may years and my Welsh surname does not really exist in terms of pronunciation in English, never mind Spanish. So as the H's are silent and G followed by E makes a H sound, it reads like a random sound, So it's a spanglisized version of "Hughes" so people could pronounce it rather than give an embarrassing attempt. And kept it ever since as a Callsign.

Mine is simple as well. I have a 2008 Dodge Power Wagon. My "Holy Grail" truck. It has a manual shift transfer case & a manual shift 6-speed transmission. TwinStick

Truck has since changed. Traded it because no one, including the dealer would touch it. All the manifold bolts on passenger side were so corroded, engine would have to come out for repairs & go to a machine shop ! There was nothing to even weld to.

Current truck: ordered a new 2019 Red ZR2 diesel. So far, loving this truck. 18 k now. Tows the same camper with less drama & gets 2-3x the mpg.

Last edited:
Been into guns (Gun) since I was a kid (which was a long time ago), have a Ph.D. (Doc), and did ballistics research for a large part of my professional life. Plus I kind of like the sound of it.

Not as good a story as many I have read so far. I do truly appreciate all of those who have served in the military, but I admit bearfacedkiller's story was truly heartwarming.

Last edited:
My only call sign is for amateur radio. Mine is one I chose , not given me by FCC. Fathers initials, then mine . AC2RC. When conditions are difficult it's best to resort to phonetics Alternating current 2 Radio controlled ! They never confuse that !

I only want V8 Power plants in my Mustangs.

V6s are disgusting enough but then they had to bring back the stupid 4 cylinder!:mad::thumbsdown:

I hate the EPA.

Lol I have a 6.2 gas in my truck. Love the power and the rumble. Hate filling up that 31gallon tank!!!!

I believe I was inspired by the fastest squirrel in the world running around my yard.

Avatar is of a nuclear fuel assembly with Cerenkov radiation.

I'm a nuclear engineer in the nation's largest nuclear power based electricity generator.

I used to go camping in the desert just S of Goodyear every year around President's weekend -- until they turned my park into a golf course & ball-fields. :(

Back