Meat Cleaver.

I think they are cool, but as a home cook I don’t think I’ve ever needed a meat cleaver. I’ve been cooking for 30+ years now. I have one but really can’t remember actually using one for anything other than hacking through a chicken when I was younger.

Once you learn how to cut up a chicken you can easily do it with a chef knife. I’ve even used pairing knives to quarter a chicken. I’ve never bought a cut of beef that I had to hack through bones.

So besides cool factor what’s the point in a meat cleaver for a home or even professional cook?

I set the cleaver out to find my wife using it to prep some food with. I asked her why she was using it and she said I forgot we had it and it’s freaking cool. While holding it like a Serial killer! Hahahahaha.

Spatchcocking a turkey is the only time I was tempted to bust out my 3 lb Mohawk. Full whole animal butchery they come into play or people that do pit BBQ like in Hawaii and Mexico want them. I rehab blades and large cleaver those are the people that get them.

There are "moderate" duty cleavers that are not bone and not Chinese that work good for carnitas or pulled pork to chop it all up.

A Chinese cleaver is a different story and IMO is a must have.

Spatchcocking a turkey is the only time I was tempted to bust out my 3 lb Mohawk. Full whole animal butchery they come into play or people that do pit BBQ like in Hawaii and Mexico want them. I rehab blades and large cleaver those are the people that get them.

There are "moderate" duty cleavers that are not bone and not Chinese that work good for carnitas or pulled pork to chop it all up.

A Chinese cleaver is a different story and IMO is a must have.

Lol no joke yesterday I ordered a Chinese Cleaver. I’ve never used one. I got a wild hair and decided to get one to try out. It should be delivered Monday.

I guess their is a real need for meat cleavers but they are more of a specialty. The meat cleaver I have I would not say is heavy duty. If I had to guess I’d say more like medium duty. I won’t get rid of it, heaven knows I would need it soon as I got rid of it!

I think I'm going to make a Chinese cleaver this year.

I had a smaller heavy duty "camp cleaver" by Busse, but I never used it.

In full disclosure I'm a chef. Cutting through ribs on a lamb rack is a good use for a cleaver. It's also useful for splitting a chine. Insert a skewer into the center channel for a guide. But I have also done both with a heavy Chef's knife if the animal is young enough.

Other than those limited and similar uses, you are right, a home cook rarely has any need for a cleaver.

In full disclosure I'm a chef. Cutting through ribs on a lamb rack is a good use for a cleaver. It's also useful for splitting a chine. Insert a skewer into the center channel for a guide. But I have also done both with a heavy Chef's knife if the animal is young enough.

Other than those limited and similar uses, you are right, a home cook rarely has any need for a cleaver.

Oh come on Wayne this would look wicked hanging on the wall. ;) No idea what purpose this served in butchery but looks awesome.
92111-60_834_detail.jpg

https://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/pc/F-Dick-Double-Edged-Cleaver-74p1889.htm

I've seen them before but confess I do not know what the original use was for. Possibly for continued use as a splitter before needing sharpening?

There are also a lot of specialty big fish knives for halibut and tuna.

I've seen them before but confess I do not know what the original use was for. Possibly for continued use as a splitter before needing sharpening?

There are also a lot of specialty big fish knives for halibut and tuna.

I figure forehand/backhand cutting but good gravy what would need that. Had an Alaskan fishmonger say his favorite halibut knife was a 6" curved Victorinox boning. Go figure.

Back