Mechanic's Tools

ssblood

BANNED
How many mechanic's are here? Curious about your tool setups. Can't take pics of mine right now due to being out of work for surgery and am starting to miss my "toys":D

Mechanic's for the most part can agree with me that collecting knives is a "cheap" hobby compared to the tool box.

The newest toy before I went out of work, if you've never used one of these for changing a car tire, etc you have no clue what you're missing!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=89671&group_ID=24645&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I'm old school, all mine are air operated, half inch, three eighths and quarter inch, nut guns and air ratchets.

My gear is mostly Snap On, with Facom, Britool, Stahlwille, Wurth and AKD too.

I really love good tools, everything about 'em.

Facom stuff is awesome but no access to it really. Never heard of the others. Looked at a handheld Facom tool that fit in your palm to grip radiator hoses and twist them off.100 bucks. Crazy!

retired Millwright here ... name it I got two of them.
Everything from 1/4 drives too 1" drives.
Power tools , welders and inverters ... torches and plasma cutters.
Crap laying all over the two room shop ... piles of stuff.
Need me a weekend visit from the TOOL FAIRY and she can put them where ever they go.
Air tools too ... alot of small grinders and sanders.

One of the guys at work uses that same cordless impact fun all day long and loves it. All my tools are air powered. Most of my tools are all SnapOn and Mac. Good stuff.

-Nadz

i've got the snap-on's little brother the CT4410 3/8's and i love that thing. best $400 i have ever spent. most of my tools are for class 8 big rigs. but i do have most things from 1/4 to 3/4 drive, 3/8 to 3/4 air impacts, lots of wrenches from 1/4 to 2" and a couple sets of metric from 8-25mm. about the only thing i need now is a new tool box. mine is getting too small. i would like one of the snap-on epiq series like this one in this color, but i don't see getting one any time soon.

How many mechanic's are here? Curious about your tool setups. Can't take pics of mine right now due to being out of work for surgery and am starting to miss my "toys":D

Mechanic's for the most part can agree with me that collecting knives is a "cheap" hobby compared to the tool box.
The newest toy before I went out of work, if you've never used one of these for changing a car tire, etc you have no clue what you're missing!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=89671&group_ID=24645&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Agreed and also just as addicting :D

I have more money in tools than I care to admit. Lets just say if I had that money, I could buy a car. :eek:

Most my stuff is Mac with Craftsman and Snap On sprinkled in. I had a Mac Tool box but needed to upgrade and got this Matco for a steal. I have an air tool for any occasion. :D

toolbox.jpg

Wish I could show you inside my drawers.....um but thats a little personal. ;)

..spoiled brat! I'll keep my Milwaukee 12v small and quick impact but raise you an Smf which i can buy with the leftover moola! LOL go to my "knives or rent that is the question" thread and u can see my setup [towards the end of the thread]

Last edited:
..spoiled brat! I'll keep my Milwaukee 12v small and quick impact but raise you an Smf which i can buy with the leftover moola! LOL go to my "knives or rent that is the question" thread and u can see my setup [towards the end of the thread]

I wish I was spoiled. Buying something at least once a month for 18 years adds up.;)

18 years of tool buying. Started with a metal hand cary box. A few years later, upgraded to a small craftsman box, then the Mac tech series added two side boxes and then traded up for what you saw.:cool:

Your set up is nice.:thumbup: I like the three drawer, orange, intermediate boxes, very creative.:cool:

just messin with you ;)

thanks for the compliment, looks like you have a good set there yourself.
part of why we buy all this is so we dont have to be running to other guys boxes
all the time, i know i did and got sick of it BUT NOW if anyone in the shop needs some
type of tool or something they just head over to my bay :eek:
WTF, LOL, and so it goes..

yeh im tired of being the tool crib we have this rule [bosses rule] that a tech can borrow anothers tool 5 times but after that he must buy 1 for himself so what do u guys think abwt that? ~ and Victgerb i like those black drawer pulls -classy

These guys are too busy buying new trucks and motorcycles. Then turning around and asking to use my big sockets, terminal tools, line wrenchs etc. Priorities... One got will not buy anything till Snap On comes out with a new 90 dollar led light. He's got a handful of MSRP kershaws but won't buy a socket.

These guys are too busy buying new trucks and motorcycles. Then turning around and asking to use my big sockets, terminal tools, line wrenchs etc. Priorities... One got will not buy anything till Snap On comes out with a new 90 dollar led light. He's got a handful of MSRP kershaws but won't buy a socket.

Yeah we got a kid in our shop says how he cant afford anything, but eats out everyday, and buys guns all the time, but cant afford tools:rolleyes: or ciggerets for that matter. He always bums them off this other guy at work who doesnt seem to care.:eek:

yeh im tired of being the tool crib we have this rule [bosses rule] that a tech can borrow anothers tool 5 times but after that he must buy 1 for himself so what do u guys think abwt that? ~ and Victgerb i like those black drawer pulls -classy

Our shop rule is, if you have to borrow another guys tools more than three times, then maybe its time you buy your own. I live by that rule, thus the collection.
Victgerb i like those black drawer pulls -classy
Thanks

its a compromise we want to help each other but aint gonna b abused. I hav a thread on garagejournal.com "lock em up every night or what" [i blv thats the title its a sumwhat old thread and im posting this via my phone so i cant link it ryt now]

I expect someone to find me in the shop and ask everytime they want to borrow something. Some people think its ok to just borrow without asking. Absolutely kills me. Of course, some things people ask to borrow... they would have better luck borrowing my ummie I just got to strip battery cable. :)

bottom line its political how we loan and share tools im starting to think about changing my shops policy to it will be 2 times we can borrow a specific tool. F this 5x bs! But if u guys get time check my garagejournal thread there r some interesting posts there.

I don't work with tools but have a home shop, 2 actually, that are filled with tools. They are all Craftsman which work great for me. I can just run up to Sears if I need something or one happens to break. Plus they put them on sale quite often where many things are half price.

Back