Medford knives criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Praetorian and it's a great knife. It seems this is a very polarizing brand. Why is it that so many people bash Greg and his knives?

About 90% of the criticism comes from many of the models having dimensions, weights, and cutting geometries that would make some people laugh out loud.
People who value weight economy, cutting performance, slim / deep carry, non-tactical appearance, etc all are much more likely to look at a large chunk of the Medford catalog and audibly scoff.

About 90% of the criticism comes from many of the models having dimensions, weights, and cutting geometries that would make some people laugh out loud.
People who value weight economy, cutting performance, slim / deep carry, non-tactical appearance, etc all are much more likely to look at a large chunk all of the Medford catalog and audibly scoff.

Fixed. :p

People who value weight economy, cutting performance, slim / deep carry, non-tactical appearance, etc all are much more likely to look at a large chunk of the Medford catalog and audibly scoff.
They still look more ergonomically balanced and easier to EDC than a Heeter MOW, but that's not saying much

Mine cuts just fine. I find spending less than $400 on a Medford more economical than spending $1000 on "man jewelery" that just gets played with

This is so very true. Not that there’s anything wrong with digging these types of knives if that’s what you like. Part of what makes this such a fun hobby is the variety. Will a Medford slice like a traditional will? Nope. Are the machining/innovation/materials of a Medford on an entirely different level than say, a Case, GEC, etc? Yep. Absolutely. Different strokes and all that. I’ve personally moved away from the tactical prybars with sharp edges, but I certainly see the appeal.

I recently bought a Praetorian and it's a great knife. It seems this is a very polarizing brand. Why is it that so many people bash Greg and his knives?

Maybe it's the too thick blades, too heavy knives, or the terrible warranty?

Then again, maybe for some it's the egregious overuse of exclamatory punctuation marks:

mGeP2Vo.jpg

I used to say I would never own a Medford. Then I handled a full sized Marauder and had to get one. It is huge and doesn’t cut some much as cleave. To me, it’s exactly those qualities that gives them charisma. I can’t comment on Greg, but I do like his knives. They aren’t for everyone, sure, but I never understood people giving each other hell for liking a particular knife. Buy and carry what you like.

The warranty is designed to purposely keep amateur tinkerer hands with sub-standard tools away from an expensive-ish knife only to mess it up then send it in to a busy shop for work for free.
Greg just happens to be a bit more forwardly emphatic about the whole thing...it's almost like he might have some experience in the matter.
Not a defense of MKT, just an observation after working in a service based industry for 30 years.
And as for the critical reviews of MKT I can pretty much guarantee 90% of the critiques around here come from following the flock not actual users.
My 187s perform extremely well and have never needed an adjustment, warranty work, nothing but sharpening.
I was actually pleased with the angle geometry and the grinds, these things fly through cardboard better than some with blades half as thick.
Don't knock 'em till you try 'em...

I've owned many Medford's. All were well made. Some just didn't fit my small hands. Greg can be a polarizing person, passionate people often are. I have a 187 Tanto that is one of the smoothest best finished knives I have. It's nice that we live in the golden age of knives and have so much to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back