medford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really understand your question but I love Medford knives. High quality but a bit on the expensive side. I'm down to an Arktika and Praetorian T. I would never let them go.

I have never seen a Medford chip. But I don't see many medfords accept in pictures. Cant tell if they are new or used. I would say my only beef with Medford knives are their price. IMHO probably the most overpriced brand in existence for what you actually get. But if you like the aesthetics and overall build then I would say go for it. What they do they seem to do well. I just don't like what it is they in fact do.

My biggest issues with medford are:

1. Greg medford thinks a knife can be thoroughly cleaned by using dish soap and water without taking the knife apart. I found this to be bull manure.

Try processing a deer with your only knife on hand which sometimes is a folder and then running water and soap over and through it. Then open up the knife and find all the nice things that remained after the "cleaning".
(Tldr version, he voids warranties of knives taken apart)

2. Pocket clip drilled and tapped for one side carry only.

As to taking a knife apart to clean it, I don't give a rats kaboose what anyone says, being taken apart allows for a more thorough cleaning.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Medford knives. Used them over seas and gutted and skinned 83 white tail deer with them. Also four black bear and 34 coons. Never once had or needed to disassemble it to clean. Their D2 blades lack nothing compared to other steels, the 3V goes without saying. On the note of people needing to disassembled their folder for cleaning, I carried a Buck 110 for 25 years gutted countless animals with it and performed every conceivable task with it. Couldn't if I wanted to but never needed to take it apart and clean it.

Well, hard to argue with Daniel boone over here.

I stand by my observation that if you opened up a knife after cleaning or processing an animal you'd find bits of critter.

I'm not an 1800's pioneer but I do have a farm and raised everything from cattle to emus.

ETA: And yes, *I kill and process my own animals.( most of the time, I have gotten lazy and dropped hogs off after I kill, skin, gut and split the carcass in 2 to be processed)

Last edited:
They are fun knives and well built in my experience. But as others have said, well overpriced.

Not the greatest slicers but their are others out there for that.

I found that their shallow hollow grinds got a bit thin towards the tip on my 187rmp, as a result I wouldn't use it for prying despite its girth. I wish they would switch to sabre or 3/4 flat grinds.

Their d2 steel sharpens up really nice and holds a great edge in my experience.

Customer service and warranty are what killed them for me. You basically have to get Greg to agree there is an issue before anything gets done... let's just say that was mildly frustrating. Also being returned via 90$ return shipping whcih I had to cover and with marred hardware wasn't the greatest...

My biggest issues with medford are:

1. Greg medford thinks a knife can be thoroughly cleaned by using dish soap and water without taking the knife apart. I found this to be bull manure.

Try processing a deer with your only knife on hand which sometimes is a folder and then running water and soap over and through it. Then open up the knife and find all the nice things that remained after the "cleaning".
(Tldr version, he voids warranties of knives taken apart)

2. Pocket clip drilled and tapped for one side carry only.

As to taking a knife apart to clean it, I don't give a rats kaboose what anyone says, being taken apart allows for a more thorough cleaning.

I think some of their designs are ok. Some of their designs are clearly Strider ripoffs imho.

My issue with them is the same is yours. Greg Medford claims this is the strongest most rugged knife ever, just don't ever use it for anything other than cutting paper because that is abuse and won't be covered by warranty.

Greg wants you to treat the knife as gingerly as you would a snowflake lest you hurt the knife. I also find it kind of offensive that he takes his customers for such buffons that he believes if we open the knife it is as good as done. I'm sorry but most people buying a 700$ knife have some idea of what they're doing. (Obviously many don't)

Look at the shape of the blade and butt of the knife.
modelSMF.jpg

Now look at the shape of this blade and butt. (Minus the glassbreaking pommel)
medford-mk05dp-02an-cm-large.jpg

All of that said some of his knives I think are really sick and it's a shame the BS shadow he casts over his own brand.

I think some of their designs are ok. Some of their designs are clearly Strider ripoffs imho.

My issue with them is the same is yours. Greg Medford claims this is the strongest most rugged knife ever, just don't ever use it for anything other than cutting paper because that is abuse and won't be covered by warranty.

Greg wants you to treat the knife as gingerly as you would a snowflake lest you hurt the knife. I also find it kind of offensive that he takes his customers for such buffons that he believes if we open the knife it is as good as done. I'm sorry but most people buying a 700$ knife have some idea of what they're doing. (Obviously many don't)

Look at the shape of the blade and butt of the knife.
modelSMF.jpg

Now look at the shape of this blade and butt. (Minus the glassbreaking pommel)
medford-mk05dp-02an-cm-large.jpg

All of that said some of his knives I think are really sick and it's a shame the BS shadow he casts over his own brand.
MFTFF1DNCYFLMa.jpg

Spot on! Exhibit b.
That being said I really dug my tff1.

Lol seems he is over his Strider phase anyway. Moved on the the 'aborted fetus' design stage now...

Product_Page.php

Product_Page.php

Also seems as though his prices have dropped some.

That knife outline in as the clip is just too much. Isn't there another designer that uses a positive knife silhouette as a clip on his knives (as opposed to the negative silhouette used on the Medfordmclip)

Blackwood

maxresdefault.jpg

Someone needs to start an ugly clip thread.

(Cant't see ur last pics mattau)

Last edited:
I own quite a few Medford’s and find myself carrying them more than others. And I actually use them. Not sure if I’d skin an animal with one, I’m would imagine there are better blades for that type of work. I have used there warranty on two occasions for minor issues and once for a knife a purchased used. I found their customer support to be extremely attentive and never had any push back for my requests. Do I think Medford’s are overpriced... yes, some are, but so are a lot of other knife makers. But the Medford’s I own are sturdy, work for me, and i like their designs. Medford have treated me with nothing but respect as customer and the turn around on fixing the few issues was very quick. They also went above and beyond the fix on the knife I bought used. Just my experience.

I have handled quite a few Medford knives.. and I will never own one. They are overpriced hot garbage if you need a knife to do what a knife is actually supposed to do.

All they are good for is taking pictures next to your expensive flashlight/pen/spinner combo of the day to post the pic on Instagram for other geeks to :thumbsup:. So if you like buying 'man jewellery' then by all means go for it.

I have handled quite a few Medford knives.. and I will never own one. They are overpriced hot garbage if you need a knife to do what a knife is actually supposed to do.

All they are good for is taking pictures next to your expensive flashlight/pen/spinner combo of the day to post the pic on Instagram for other geeks to :thumbsup:. So if you like buying 'man jewellery' then by all means go for it.

Sure, all they are for is pictures, and cannot cut anything...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-12-days-of-medford.1464833/

Or, you might be what I like to call, wrong. ;)

The pendulum is swinging too far now the other direction. Before a knife had to be thick or it was too weak. Now a knife has to be thin or it can't cut.

Both thick and thin knives are knives and cut, just better for different tasks.

The great thing about living now is that there is a huge selection of knives, thick, thin, and in between, at all price points, and in so many different materials. :)

Hell, yesterday I went to the woods with my buddy Dave.
On the way, we stopped at Canadian Tire to drop my wife off for Black Friday-Cyber Monday Weekend sales shopping, and I saw a sale too...
I bought both Dave and I the Camillus Carnivore X, because it was 25 dollars.
And you know what, they worked out great!
We beat the crap out of them, chopped down some deadwood trees for the fire, batonned them to split the fire wood, split the steak stick, made sausage skewers, AND they would still cut green whippy vegetation after the whole day's use. :)
Heck, the edge didn't even really get dull at all...

All for 25 dollars.

So rejoice!
The knife gods gave decreed that there shall be excitingly fun edged tools in all price ranges. :thumbsup:

(Edited to add: The saw-back on the Carnivore sucks hardcore. It will make a notch for paracord lashing, but it is not a good saw for, well, sawing.)

Thanks for the advice Mr.mt666tm. Tomorrow I’m buying an expensive flashlight, pen and spinner, opening an Instagram account, and posting pics for geeks. I’ll send you a link so you can be one of my first Instagram buddies! I hope I can count on you to get a :thumbsup:! Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back