Medium Choppa thread!!

grunt soldier

Gold Member
Haven't seen anyone else post so maybe I'm the only person with one right now lol. So on to some pics and discussion about this bad boy.

First off its freaking amazing. Just pure joy to hold it. It seems like it should weight more but it's crazy agile and light in the hand. Very nimble. Doesn't appear to weigh much more than my light choppa. It is slightly longer and thicker obviously but not noticeable when holding it.

I have only got to use it around the house but it swings fast and bites deep. I need a sheath asap to start carrying it. It is just a beastly blade that I can't seem to put it down. The grip is slightly different than the light chopper I think. It feels like it was tweaked and is slightly different. Both egos are amazing but the medium chopper has a slight lead in comfiness imo. (Not sure that's a real word) any way on to some pics.

Pictured with light chopper and a unicorn Sig p365 which is going to be a hell of an EDC. Only 250 rounds through it but with the 12 round mag it's still smaller than my g43 with taran plus 3 on it. Needs a light and holster and it will be my new go to.

Haven't seen anyone else post so maybe I'm the only person with one right now lol. So on to some pics and discussion about this bad boy.

First off its freaking amazing. Just pure joy to hold it. It seems like it should weight more but it's crazy agile and light in the hand. Very nimble. Doesn't appear to weigh much more than my light choppa. It is slightly longer and thicker obviously but not noticeable when holding it.

I have only got to use it around the house but it swings fast and bites deep. I need a sheath asap to start carrying it. It is just a beastly blade that I can't seem to put it down. The grip is slightly different than the light chopper I think. It feels like it was tweaked and is slightly different. Both egos are amazing but the medium chopper has a slight lead in comfiness imo. (Not sure that's a real word) any way on to some pics.

Pictured with light chopper and a unicorn Sig p365 which is going to be a hell of an EDC. Only 250 rounds through it but with the 12 round mag it's still smaller than my g43 with taran plus 3 on it. Needs a light and holster and it will be my new go to.

Nice write up. That's a dam big knife. Way to go!

Now you have the perfect EDC package:thumbsup: 10 inch blade is not too Big:eek: Congrats, I WANT ONE

Last edited:
Mine is on it's way directly to @grogimus for making some leather sheath and Dan has promised to take / add photos when he receives that MC. I am adding these stats according to Nathan's sales posts:

LC-D3V:

Light Chopper Specs:
CPM 3V, 60.5 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso
This is the newest "Delta" HT protocol
Total length 15.625”
Blade length 9.875”
Edge is sharpened 20 DPS
Weight 17.1 oz

MC-D3V:

CPM 3V, Delta heat treat, tested 60-61 HRC, .220" thick at ricasso
Total length 15.950"
Blade length 10.0"”
Weight 20.6 oz

Looks awesome. Mine will arrive tomorrow. Need to get a sheath ordered from Mashed Cat asap.

Please tell Eric that he will also receive an order from me for his kydex version in addition to my leather one from Grog :thumbsup:

If Eric has one I'll order it asap but I didn't think any sheath maker had one besides grog. And I wasnt sure how long he would have yours for.

If Eric has one I'll order it asap but I didn't think any sheath maker had one besides grog. And I wasnt sure how long he would have yours for.

Jonny (91Bravo) had his sent directly to Eric but I don't know as to how long Eric will have Jonny's but hopefully for long enough time to also do some kydex. Grog can hang onto mine for as long as it takes him and I know that so far he has a couple of orders already for the MC. I'm hoping to get him at least a handful so we will see as to how that goes as there aren't too many MCs around ;)

P.S. I think that Eric will be busy in the next couple as he's doing the sheaths to the next HDFK batch in addition to all else which must be going on at his end!

Here are a couple of LC Sheaths (Eric@Mashed Cat) with thigh straps-Should be similar for the MC! Contact info for Eric is http://www.mashedcat.com/
H9ybGFQ.jpg

Last edited:
Great comparison! Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, can't wait :D.

~Chip

what I should have got instead of a LC
I love the Light Chopper, it is exactly as described:thumbsup:

The Light Chopper was a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is an exercise in geometry, weight distribution and ergonomics to make a light weight well balanced chopper that hits well above its weight. It's a large woods knife, with a ~10" blade that weighs 17.1 oz that is somewhere between a machete and a camp knife. It's light enough to be carried on a long hike without weighing you down and it's engineered for performance when you go to use it. This is the knife Bill Flynn used when he won the last Fisk Micro Show Cutting Competition.

It's made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with the newest heat treat for 3V that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. The performance is phenomenal with a combination of toughness, edge durability and edge retention that will blow your mind. A lot of R&D went into developing this heat treat, it is truly different and better.

With that in mind I gave it relatively thin cutting geometry designed for cutting performance. This is not some overbuilt pry bar, it cuts like a demon, but it is very durable, see 2nd video.

It's light enough and long enough to develop tip speed to cut thinner vegetation that heavy choppers struggle with. But when you put it to work in the big stuff you'll find that it hits hard and bites deep and it won't wear you out. The grip and aspects of the cutting geometry were designed in collaboration with Dan Keffeler.

The hand grip works great as a camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand and forearm fatigue for extended hard work.

^^^Yup, the MC is going to bite a little deeper and be able to take more Abuse! The BC is going to Bite Really Deep and take even more abuse! Three different Choppers:thumbsup:

I love the Light Chopper, it is exactly as described:thumbsup:

The Light Chopper was a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is an exercise in geometry, weight distribution and ergonomics to make a light weight well balanced chopper that hits well above its weight. It's a large woods knife, with a ~10" blade that weighs 17.1 oz that is somewhere between a machete and a camp knife. It's light enough to be carried on a long hike without weighing you down and it's engineered for performance when you go to use it. This is the knife Bill Flynn used when he won the last Fisk Micro Show Cutting Competition.

It's made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with the newest heat treat for 3V that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. The performance is phenomenal with a combination of toughness, edge durability and edge retention that will blow your mind. A lot of R&D went into developing this heat treat, it is truly different and better.

With that in mind I gave it relatively thin cutting geometry designed for cutting performance. This is not some overbuilt pry bar, it cuts like a demon, but it is very durable, see 2nd video.

It's light enough and long enough to develop tip speed to cut thinner vegetation that heavy choppers struggle with. But when you put it to work in the big stuff you'll find that it hits hard and bites deep and it won't wear you out. The grip and aspects of the cutting geometry were designed in collaboration with Dan Keffeler.

The hand grip works great as a camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand and forearm fatigue for extended hard work.

it’s just or the one I have is a tad too thin for me to call it a camp knife.
where you are, what you deal with and the climate effect what something is to different people.

it’s just or the one I have is a tad too thin for me to call it a camp knife.
where you are, what you deal with and the climate effect what something is to different people.
What thickness knives did you use previously for a Camp Knife?

Been using my medium chopper for the last hour. Great chopper! bites deep and is still light enough for a grab n go chopper. Based on the grind, it seems like it will be much more hard use friendly than the LC. I love the LC for a mix between chopper and machete, but for heavy duty chopping, I'll be taking this blade with me. Great design!

I'd love to own an LC. Had my finger on the trigger a few times! I feel like the MC will be a better fit for me. I'll also get CPK pricing on the preorder (hopefully), making the MC my only real option of the two.

I'm sure that it will be offered as a preorder, more likely in Late Summer / Early Fall as Nathan had mentioned for the approximate time frame :thumbsup:

Back