Medium Choppa thread!!

I agree, would guess it is .25 thick, however the wider blade has me intrigued (in a good way):cool:

Don't forget that Nathan had done some re-thinking on that original HC which was supposedly unbreakable and then applied similar but perhaps just a tad less indestructibility traits to the HDMC in order to bring this into the fold with his more modern patterns like BC & the MC. So yup, it may be a bit wider just like how you'd like it ;) Bad, bad Matty! :oops:

I have forgotten as to what Nathan had blurted out once, like one was for knuckleheads and the other for: <insert here>

Don't forget that Nathan had done some re-thinking on that original HC which was supposedly unbreakable and then applied similar but perhaps just a tad less indestructibility traits to the HDMC in order to bring this into the fold with his more modern patterns like BC & the MC. So yup, it may be a bit wider just like how you'd like it ;) Bad, bad Matty! :oops:

I have forgotten as to what Nathan had blurted out once, like one was for knuckleheads and the other for: <insert here>

Are you remembering this line from the pre-order?:

"you can order a Heavy Duty Medium Chopper here. It's a thicker version with thicker stock (.250"), taller grinds, smaller fuller and more meat left behind the edge for you knuckle dragging meat heads who break shit." - Nathan Carothers

Are you remembering this line from the pre-order?:

"you can order a Heavy Duty Medium Chopper here. It's a thicker version with thicker stock (.250"), taller grinds, smaller fuller and more meat left behind the edge for you knuckle dragging meat heads who break shit." - Nathan Carothers

Justin, that’s not it. What I’m trying to recall was when Nathan had said that he had changed his mind about doing an exact HC as those 6 x HC protos which he had done in the past. I’ll try to find it if I get my head wrapped up in this some more ;)

2v2EmtqTyxAhvqS.jpg

HDMC on the bottom MC on top.

2v2EmtF9dxAhvqS.jpg

HDMC on top and MC on the bottom.

Jo also mentioned that the sheaths are not really compatible due to the thickness difference.

The production Heavy Chopper (HDMC) is indeed still incredibly stout and indestructible (I'm borrowing a page out of Jerry's book here), but we gave it a narrower and therefore taller grind than the original Heavy Chopper so that it would have better cutting performance. But the weight and indestructible character is all still there. It is a full .275 at the spine.

The standard Medium Chopper is lighter with thinner grinds and is probably a more reasonable better balanced knife but if you want something very stout the HDMC will deliver.

The production Heavy Chopper (HDMC) is indeed still incredibly stout and indestructible (I'm borrowing a page out of Jerry's book here), but we gave it a narrower and therefore taller grind than the original Heavy Chopper so that it would have better cutting performance. But the weight and indestructible character is all still there. It is a full .275 at the spine.

The standard Medium Chopper is lighter with thinner grinds and is probably a more reasonable better balanced knife but if you want something very stout the HDMC will deliver.
.275 at the spine? Nice, the HDMC may actually "Bite" a little deeper than the BC:eek::thumbsup:
EDIT: I would assume the HDMC would also weigh slightly more than the advertised weight of 23.2 ounces?

Last edited:
Back