Medium Chopper and family

I used a lanyard on the MC today and man does it make a difference! The lanyard hole above the grip is ingenious. I never realized how much of a difference it makes to use a lanyard on your chopper!
It is a huge difference, you almost don't even have to hold on :) that's why I molded my BC and MC sheaths so I could leave it on ;).

Screenshot_20180507-152320.png

~Chip

Last edited:
But when it came time to sheath the knife, I realized the lanyard won't go into the sheath while it's tied to the knife. Well, it can, but it squashes it and looks funny. Then a light bulb went off in my head!

Just tie it to the sheath!
CUmlogl.jpg

The placement of the lanyard hole, makes using this MC more secure with using a lanyard, than without.
jFJCryK.jpg

The lanyard lets me chop so much harder now, without fear of it slipping out of my hands!
bcr7vSA.jpg

a knot between the handle and your hand helps a lot. Depending on what needs cutting, I'll twist the lanyard around my wrist one or two times, (light or heavy). I like shoelaces, preferably a little stretchy and semi flat. When you measure your lanyard, tie it to the handle first, then twist it up to 3 times until it's uncomfortably tight and tie it off there. Try it out and adjust as required

who made the sheath Jonny?

a knot between the handle and your hand helps a lot. Depending on what needs cutting, I'll twist the lanyard around my wrist one or two times, (light or heavy). I like shoelaces, preferably a little stretchy and semi flat. When you measure your lanyard, tie it to the handle first, then twist it up to 3 times until it's uncomfortably tight and tie it off there. Try it out and adjust as required

who made the sheath Jonny?

I tie it like you see above and twist it twice and it pretty much locks my hand in place and there's no way the knife can slide out of my hand. MashedCat made me that sheath.

Good work Jonny! You do need a better set up. But that was some good chopping, even though you had to hold the victim down with one hand.

Thanks yall, it's not my best, but I had to throw something together real quick this afternoon. The Medium Chopper is light and doesn't bite as deep or throw as big chunks. I have a feeling that the Behemoth will take care of that though!

Not trying to be cute here...help me understand the lanyard, please. It would seem prefferable to me to have the knife fly out of my hand and away from me (i make sure people are behind me) than to have it twisting and flailing about out of my control, but tied to my arm. I’ve never lost my grip before.
Thanks for the great pics, btw!

Not trying to be cute here...help me understand the lanyard, please. It would seem prefferable to me to have the knife fly out of my hand and away from me (i make sure people are behind me) than to have it twisting and flailing about out of my control, but tied to my arm. I’ve never lost my grip before.

If you attach it to the rear it will flail about, but if you attach it to the forward lanyard hole you can maintain control.

This is a good question, and was actually discussed (quite a "lively" debate) in this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-cpk-lc-getting-it-done-picture-heavy.1505149/

Quite a strong set of opinions both ways.

The lanyard DOES help. I've used choppers all my life without lanyards, until I got this Medium Chopper. Like I said earlier, the lanyard hole placement on a CPK chopper is world's different from a lanyard hole in the pommel. Pommel lanyard holes will still allow the knife to slip out of your hands. There is NO way this CPK is slipping out of my hand using a lanyard, fatigued or not. Like it or love it, different strokes for different folks. I think I will just keep the lanyard on this MC. I can tell you, if I'm swinging a Behemoth Chopper on KOD, I'll definitely have the lanyard on.

Thanks y’all. I can appreciate both sides of the lanyard debate. Forward placement seems smart. I think the best advice from that other thread was to slow down, although the big knife loving barbarian in me struggles with that part at times...

Pommel lanyard holes will still allow the knife to slip out of your hands. There is NO way this CPK is slipping out of my hand using a lanyard, fatigued or not. Like it or love it, different strokes for different folks. I think I will just keep the lanyard on this MC. I can tell you, if I'm swinging a Behemoth Chopper on KOD, I'll definitely have the lanyard on.
Was wondering if you've ever tried the thumb loop lanyard method shown in the Aussie video in the linked thread?

I learned it in Asia a long time ago, and it also stops the knife/machete from slipping out of the hand while swinging it (rain + sweat + swinging a well-worn smooth wood handled machete = pretty darn slick).

For folks who haven't seen the video, size the loop to your hand circumference. Slip loop over thumb, 2-3 twists to tighten, loop goes around the back of the hand, to the lanyard hole at the end of pommel.

If the handle starts to slip, the loop going around and under the base/edge of the palm stops it slipping any further. I sized the loops here, to allow slipping over a glove in cold weather (takes more twists to tighten up for barehanded use). These days though, I just prefer a better handle (like CPK's), without a lanyard.

P.S. The other thing I quickly learned on that trip, after being yelled at (lol), is to control a long blade so it never goes back past your body, when it's your turn trailblazing at the front (so you don't whack someone behind you).

P.P.S. you can build a basic sawhorse easily, using 2x4's and a chopping base of 4x4 for a simple chopping platform (like what Cliff Stamp uses in his videos) , if you don't have a heavy table to make a Bladesports style 2x4 holder (like in videos of Dan Keffeler's 2x4 chopping tests).

Was wondering if you've ever tried the thumb loop lanyard method shown in the Aussie video in the linked thread?

I learned it in Asia a long time ago, and it also stops the knife/machete from slipping out of the hand while swinging it (rain + sweat + swinging a well-worn smooth wood handled machete = pretty darn slick).

For folks who haven't seen the video, size the loop to your hand circumference. Slip loop over thumb, 2-3 twists to tighten, loop goes around the back of the hand, to the lanyard hole at the end of pommel.

If the handle starts to slip, the loop going around and under the base/edge of the palm stops it slipping any further. I sized the loops here, to allow slipping over a glove in cold weather (takes more twists to tighten up for barehanded use). These days though, I just prefer a better handle (like CPK's), without a lanyard.

P.S. The other thing I quickly learned on that trip, after being yelled at (lol), is to control a long blade so it never goes back past your body, when it's your turn trailblazing at the front (so you don't whack someone behind you).

P.P.S. you can build a basic sawhorse easily, using 2x4's and a chopping base of 4x4 for a simple chopping platform (like what Cliff Stamp uses in his videos) , if you don't have a heavy table to make a Bladesports style 2x4 holder (like in videos of Dan Keffeler's 2x4 chopping tests).

Thanks for this, I'll have to check out that thumb loop style. Honestly, I'm not used to using a lanyard, but the lanyard hole on the CPKs are nicely place. I feel more confident with a lanyard, thus, I can swing much harder, than without one. I can even let go of the handles and the knife will still be there when I close my fingers.

Back