Medium Chopper and family

The lanyard DOES help. I've used choppers all my life without lanyards, until I got this Medium Chopper. Like I said earlier, the lanyard hole placement on a CPK chopper is world's different from a lanyard hole in the pommel. Pommel lanyard holes will still allow the knife to slip out of your hands. There is NO way this CPK is slipping out of my hand using a lanyard, fatigued or not. Like it or love it, different strokes for different folks. I think I will just keep the lanyard on this MC. I can tell you, if I'm swinging a Behemoth Chopper on KOD, I'll definitely have the lanyard on.

I removed the lanyard from the pommel of my NMFBM to the front scale hole. I chopped up a TON of brush over the past few weekends and have had a few incidents of the knife slipping out of my hand. (The sales on my NMFBM are smooth G-10 and my gloves did not offer a ton of grip.) I was thinking about this after the knife slipped out of my hand the first time. However, I didn't change the lanyard position and had it occur a few more times. I tried holding the knife tighter but still didn't feel as if I had a secure grip on it. I read this thread and moved the lanyard. I'll try it out during my next chopping session and see if it helps. Prior to moving the lanyard, I've considered sending the knife to Busse and have the scales switched to something grippier than smooth G-10.

I definitely like the lanyard hole placement of the CPKs WAY better than on the pommel. Yes, choppers should have some grippy real estate to grab onto. I think you'll like the forward lanyard hole better, it just feels more natural to me.

I think for competition chopping the forward lanyard is required by the rules. Maybe Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist can confirm? IF that's the case, it's probably a rule for a good reason.

I am making the above statement with absolutely no experience or first hand knowledge.
That is correct Tony. Forward lanyard is required. Whether it is safer for the cutter, tgere seems to be some debate, but it is definitely safer for the spectators.

Thanks for this, I'll have to check out that thumb loop style. Honestly, I'm not used to using a lanyard, but the lanyard hole on the CPKs are nicely place. I feel more confident with a lanyard, thus, I can swing much harder, than without one. I can even let go of the handles and the knife will still be there when I close my fingers.

I think you're ahead with the forward style Jonny. Here's a split cobra stitch thumb-loop style on a blade with no forward hole option. The thumb loop does help swing the blade out and away from the user if it gets away from you. I don't use one often but it does make me feel better if I'm getting fatigued.

zagHpjY.jpg

tAQLkip.jpg

MFTwUi7.jpg

E8wRVrm.jpg

vSujNbP.jpg

@Nathan the Machinist
I've sharpened out most of the damage on MarriedtheMedic's blade. It fared very well just as the BC did. There are a few very minor dings to get out, but for going through some tough media, the D3V did not disappoint! I was wanting to hear your evaluation of the damage once you got home. Curious to hear your thoughts about the 18 degree edge!

f6f5fAq.jpg

3pCbsjV.jpg

loBjXb6.jpg

OmYdTe1.jpg

miNVmZ4.jpg

@Nathan the Machinist
I've sharpened out most of the damage on MarriedtheMedic's blade. It fared very well just as the BC did. There are a few very minor dings to get out, but for going through some tough media, the D3V did not disappoint! I was wanting to hear your evaluation of the damage once you got home. Curious to hear your thoughts about the 18 degree edge!

f6f5fAq.jpg

3pCbsjV.jpg

loBjXb6.jpg

OmYdTe1.jpg

miNVmZ4.jpg
That doesn’t look too bad considering what it went through!
Those gravel filled tubes and sheet metal probably did the most damage if I were to guess the culprit.

Back