Medium Jacks

3 1/4" Jacks of old from Robeson and Valley Forge both with clip and pen blades
x5mJA20.jpg

3 1/2" M&G Jack by GEC
fJu2Gtn.jpg

I'll chime in with my opinion: anything from 3¼ to 3¾" is what I call medium sized.

Bigger than small, but smaller than big. :D
I consider anything from 3-1/4" to 3-5/8" to be medium... But that's just me.

Hmmm...I guess I only have two medium jacks, unless barlows count. If they do, I have three.

49464714976_82e5e76536_c.jpg

46016158595_98b4b6783a_c.jpg

Did you mod the pen to a sheepsfoot or did it come that way?
I modified it, first into a clip point then eventually into a sheepsfoot.
I just did not like the very oddly shaped pen blade they chose to put on the 62032.

I'd love it if they offered it this way since they already have the blade, my sheepsfoot blade is a tad narrower than it ideally could be but I'm happy enough with it that I consider this mod to be a good option.

The definition of a Jack Knife that I always went by was " Knife with one or more foldable blades on one end ". So that is what I will go by . Obviously that includes Barlows . With that understanding :
My old Taylors Eye Witness with a Sheepfoot main .

My Early 2015 Ol Red Sawcut Northfield 77 Barlow

Harry

The Case Medium Jack is about my favorite slipjoint. The 3 1/4" length is my ideal size for pocket carry. Sadly Case has been ignoring this pattern for the last several years. About the only one made anymore is the black delrin with as ground finished blades. Occasionally you might see the John Deere or Ford one, but that's it. I'd love to see one in jigged bone & carbon steel.

That pen blade on the 62032 is the craziest thing.
It looks absolutely normal in pictures, but very clearly different in person.
I know many people either love it's shape or just don't really care, but it bothered me and I had to modify it.

Nice bone you got too, I feel I got some particularly nice bone on mine but their peach seed amber bone almost always looks good.

That pen blade on the 62032 is the craziest thing.
It looks absolutely normal in pictures, but very clearly different in person.
I know many people either love it's shape or just don't really care, but it bothered me and I had to modify it.

Nice bone you got too, I feel I got some particularly nice bone on mine but their peach seed amber bone almost always looks good.
Thanks! The pen blade looks like a small zulu blade. It certainly looks a little strange but I personally like the shape.:)
I also really like their peach seed amber bone. My 6347 and 6318 also have amber bone scales.

Thanks! The pen blade looks like a small zulu blade. It certainly looks a little strange but I personally like the shape.:)
I also really like their peach seed amber bone. My 6347 and 6318 also have amber bone scales.
I wish it was a cover option for every model.
Honestly if every model they made was available in CV and amber jigged I would never ask for another thing from them.

" Knife with one or more foldable blades on one end ".
I agree. :cool::thumbsup:

Tomato for the win!
Thanks. :)
It's actually in my pocket right now. :)

About the only one made anymore is the black delrin with as ground finished blades. Occasionally you might see the John Deere or Ford one, but that's it.
That's the sad truth.
That also applies to the single clip blade Mini Trapper, Ford and Harley only.
A single clip blade Mini Trapper with some good wood or bone handles would make an excellent Jack.

THe older I get, the more I appreciate the simplicity of the medium jack
Right there with you. :cool::thumbsup:
I used to like small knives, but they have grown increasingly difficult to use.
I do like large knives because they are easy to use, but sometimes get sideways glances from onlookers.
So, the Medium Jacks take favor as they are easy to use and a size that is socially acceptable. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree. :cool::thumbsup:

I do like large knives because they are easy to use, but sometimes get sideways glances from onlookers.
So, the Medium Jacks take favor as they are easy to use and a size that is socially acceptable. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I actually prefer to carry 3 & 3/4 length and up unless we are going out & about because , as you say , the smaller knives are more socially acceptable and I do not have a problem with that . Great thread John .

Harry

My Grohmann slimline.

fp74xbC.jpg

Bought it at their factory in Nova Scotia

o3lFAes.jpg
My Grohmann slimline.

fp74xbC.jpg

Bought it at their factory in Nova Scotia

o3lFAes.jpg
Got the same model but with wood scales during a visit to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia ten years ago. The factory was closed for vacation but a young man working in the store allowed me to search through their inventory until i found one with acceptable fit and finish. It's a fine souvenir of a memorable trip and I'd return in a heartbeat! (Including the Cabot Trail, it was lots of driving from Central New York, especially since most was on secondary roads-by choice.)

Back