1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Medium Jacks

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JohnDF, Jan 16, 2021.

1. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    3 1/4" Jacks of old from Robeson and Valley Forge both with clip and pen blades
    [​IMG]

3 1/2" M&G Jack by GEC
    [​IMG]

2. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Hmmm...I guess I only have two medium jacks, unless barlows count. If they do, I have three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I modified it, first into a clip point then eventually into a sheepsfoot.
    I just did not like the very oddly shaped pen blade they chose to put on the 62032.

I'd love it if they offered it this way since they already have the blade, my sheepsfoot blade is a tad narrower than it ideally could be but I'm happy enough with it that I consider this mod to be a good option.

rishma likes this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Zulu Pen Blade... :D
    I actually really like the shape.

5. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    The definition of a Jack Knife that I always went by was " Knife with one or more foldable blades on one end ". So that is what I will go by . Obviously that includes Barlows . With that understanding :
    My old Taylors Eye Witness with a Sheepfoot main .
    [​IMG]
    My Early 2015 Ol Red Sawcut Northfield 77 Barlow
    [​IMG]

Harry

6. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's enough for now I reckon :D

7. peanutsxx

peanutsxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Tomato for the win! :D:cool:

8. Sventhelumberjack

Sventhelumberjack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Schatt and Morgan 3-1/2 20210116_190228~2.jpg

9. Marlingspike12

Marlingspike12

May 28, 2019
  10. Halfneck

Halfneck

Jun 30, 2005
    The Case Medium Jack is about my favorite slipjoint. The 3 1/4" length is my ideal size for pocket carry. Sadly Case has been ignoring this pattern for the last several years. About the only one made anymore is the black delrin with as ground finished blades. Occasionally you might see the John Deere or Ford one, but that's it. I'd love to see one in jigged bone & carbon steel.

Headwinds likes this.
  11. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That pen blade on the 62032 is the craziest thing.
    It looks absolutely normal in pictures, but very clearly different in person.
    I know many people either love it's shape or just don't really care, but it bothered me and I had to modify it.

Nice bone you got too, I feel I got some particularly nice bone on mine but their peach seed amber bone almost always looks good.

JohnDF and Marlingspike12 like this.
  12. Marlingspike12

Marlingspike12

May 28, 2019
    Thanks! The pen blade looks like a small zulu blade. It certainly looks a little strange but I personally like the shape.:)
    I also really like their peach seed amber bone. My 6347 and 6318 also have amber bone scales.

Crazy Canuck and JohnDF like this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I wish it was a cover option for every model.
    Honestly if every model they made was available in CV and amber jigged I would never ask for another thing from them.

JohnDF and Marlingspike12 like this.
  14. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    THe older I get, the more I appreciate the simplicity of the medium jack ... extremely handy pattern. Here's a few of my fave's --->

[​IMG]

15. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I agree. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks. :)
    It's actually in my pocket right now. :)

That's the sad truth.
    That also applies to the single clip blade Mini Trapper, Ford and Harley only.
    A single clip blade Mini Trapper with some good wood or bone handles would make an excellent Jack.

Right there with you. :cool::thumbsup:
    I used to like small knives, but they have grown increasingly difficult to use.
    I do like large knives because they are easy to use, but sometimes get sideways glances from onlookers.
    So, the Medium Jacks take favor as they are easy to use and a size that is socially acceptable. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    My Grohmann slimline.

[​IMG]

Bought it at their factory in Nova Scotia

[​IMG]

17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I like that. :cool::thumbsup:

CelloDan likes this.
  18. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Gracias amigo :)

JohnDF likes this.
  19. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I actually prefer to carry 3 & 3/4 length and up unless we are going out & about because , as you say , the smaller knives are more socially acceptable and I do not have a problem with that . Great thread John .

Harry

20. buckthorn

buckthorn

Mar 20, 2006
    Got the same model but with wood scales during a visit to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia ten years ago. The factory was closed for vacation but a young man working in the store allowed me to search through their inventory until i found one with acceptable fit and finish. It's a fine souvenir of a memorable trip and I'd return in a heartbeat! (Including the Cabot Trail, it was lots of driving from Central New York, especially since most was on secondary roads-by choice.)

Cutfinger and CelloDan like this.