1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Medley of recent sheaths

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by ANovinc, May 15, 2019.

1. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I've been experimenting with some different materials, lately:

20190419_110828-rs-1200.jpg

20190419_110800.jpg Ostrich skin--really hard to work with (in my opinion); stretchy like deer skin and a pain in the a$$ to burnish. Not a fan, probably won't use it again.

2019042795155519-rs-1200.jpg 20190427_155501-rs-1200.jpg
    Water buffalo. Cuts like butter and is a dream to stitch. I have to say this one turned out looking a little plain--I think I'd prefer this leather as a Horsewright style belt. (shout out to Dave!)

Resized_20190504_183818_5400.jpg
    Beaver tail. Finished off with Leather n Rich. Love how it turned out !

Cheers!

2. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Very cool stuff ! Thanks for sharing. For just experimenting with materials those sheaths look great !!! Nice work

3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Very nice Amy!! Very nice. Yep that water buff may be the ultimate belt leather. Really like that first little knife too. Damasteel? Glad that beaver tail worked out for ya.

4. rtmind

rtmind

Mar 8, 2013
    ANovinc, just an idea, but you might try gluing the ostrich to a 4 oz. veg tan, this would eliminate the stretch and hopefully make for a clean shape. rtmind/randy

felizalde55 likes this.
  5. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Super nice
    I actually like the “plainness “ of the second sheath.

PS - how rough is the rough side of the Buffalo?

6. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thanks ! It was a lot of fun using some new materials.

duramax likes this.
  7. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thanks! I usually tend towards "simple is better" but I just wasn't feeling it with this one. Thanks for making me feel better about it :)

As for the roughness of the rough....not rough at all. So smooth actually (at least on this hide), that my husband thought the rough was the grain side at first and wondered why it didn't look like what we had ordered.

8. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016

Thanks, Dave--and Good eye! Indeed, the knife is Damasteel.

Horsewright likes this.
  9. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thanks, Randy. I hadn't considered that thinner leather might work better when overlaying the entire sheath. I'll keep that in mind if i use it in the future.

10. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah Ken ya'd be disappointed in the water buffalo for roughout work. No nap at all.

harronek likes this.
  11. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    that beaver tail looks like dragon skin!

felizalde55 and ANovinc like this.
  12. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    Is the beaver tail chrome tanned or veggie tanned? Beautiful work!

ANovinc likes this.
  13. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you! As for how it's tanned.....I honestly have no idea! I used it as a laminate, so it's not a question that I asked.

bike4fun919 likes this.
  14. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Very nice Amy, love what ya did on all of them. Usually the tail is veg tanned, if that helps.

ANovinc likes this.
  15. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you! and i'll try to put how it's tanned into my memory bank.

16. garyc01

garyc01 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 9, 2016
    Very nice. Enjoy seeing others work.

duramax and ANovinc like this.
  17. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Thank you! I enjoy seeing other's work, as well.

duramax likes this.