Medley of recent sheaths

I've been experimenting with some different materials, lately:

20190419_110828-rs-1200.jpg

20190419_110800.jpgOstrich skin--really hard to work with (in my opinion); stretchy like deer skin and a pain in the a$$ to burnish. Not a fan, probably won't use it again.

2019042795155519-rs-1200.jpg 20190427_155501-rs-1200.jpg
Water buffalo. Cuts like butter and is a dream to stitch. I have to say this one turned out looking a little plain--I think I'd prefer this leather as a Horsewright style belt. (shout out to Dave!)

Resized_20190504_183818_5400.jpg
Beaver tail. Finished off with Leather n Rich. Love how it turned out !

Cheers!

Very cool stuff ! Thanks for sharing. For just experimenting with materials those sheaths look great !!! Nice work

Very nice Amy!! Very nice. Yep that water buff may be the ultimate belt leather. Really like that first little knife too. Damasteel? Glad that beaver tail worked out for ya.

ANovinc, just an idea, but you might try gluing the ostrich to a 4 oz. veg tan, this would eliminate the stretch and hopefully make for a clean shape. rtmind/randy

Super nice
I actually like the “plainness “ of the second sheath.

PS - how rough is the rough side of the Buffalo?

Super nice

Thanks! I usually tend towards "simple is better" but I just wasn't feeling it with this one. Thanks for making me feel better about it :)

As for the roughness of the rough....not rough at all. So smooth actually (at least on this hide), that my husband thought the rough was the grain side at first and wondered why it didn't look like what we had ordered.

ANovinc, just an idea, but you might try gluing the ostrich to a 4 oz. veg tan, this would eliminate the stretch and hopefully make for a clean shape. rtmind/randy

Thanks, Randy. I hadn't considered that thinner leather might work better when overlaying the entire sheath. I'll keep that in mind if i use it in the future.

Super nice

Yeah Ken ya'd be disappointed in the water buffalo for roughout work. No nap at all.

Very nice Amy, love what ya did on all of them. Usually the tail is veg tanned, if that helps.

Back