Meet The Beast!!!. . . Meet The Mega Ratweiler!!!. . . Coming Wed. 2-19-2020 At 9:00PM Eastern!!

After much deliberation on finish/handle I just re-ordered the same knife. Muddy/tan canvas. Yeah, I chickened out on the comp finish again lol. But seriously, This is the One! More I use it, more I like it. When you find perfection, get a spare if you can!
Pics on IG @woodsmanntm
Man, now you got me thinking.....:). Just have to throw in my two cents here.

If corrosion resistance is the issue you are worried about a patina will protect the SR-101 just fine in my experience.
One of my first two Busse's (Kin) is a custom satin RatManDu (300 made) black G10 that had been in Hawaii for years for all I know. It has no rust on it. Given it now lives in CO.
All I am saying is that is my experience with this one knife a patina on SR-101 can survive Hawaiian salt air.....which by the way I couldn't believe the poor cars :(. This coming from a native Virginian.

So why am I saying all this. I love the look of wood and different grain patterns.
The machining marks on the SwampComp finish look like grain lines in wood to me. It looks awesome. There are some fantastic close ups somewhere on here.
Love my MegaRat SwampComp maroon. Was literally just thinking about getting some citrus/acidic food to get a patina going. So far just some pine sap seems to have done a little something here and there.
So should I get another cause I am in total agreement with you.
I have a 2016 RW which I love (Handle!!). Was just thinking this morning how the Mega is heavier yet may feel lighter?! More testing needed :). I think I like the MRW handle even more. Seems thinner around the index finger than the 2016 and I love it. The rounded edges...wow. Never held any Nuclear MeltDown knives but I'm guessing it is similar.
Now should I order a Green Canvas/Desert Sage!?

Man, now you got me thinking.....:). Just have to throw in my two cents here.

If corrosion resistance is the issue you are worried about a patina will protect the SR-101 just fine in my experience.
One of my first two Busse's (Kin) is a custom satin RatManDu (300 made) black G10 that had been in Hawaii for years for all I know. It has no rust on it. Given it now lives in CO.
All I am saying is that is my experience with this one knife a patina on SR-101 can survive Hawaiian salt air.....which by the way I couldn't believe the poor cars :(. This coming from a native Virginian.

So why am I saying all this. I love the look of wood and different grain patterns.
The machining marks on the SwampComp finish look like grain lines in wood to me. It looks awesome. There are some fantastic close ups somewhere on here.
Love my MegaRat SwampComp maroon. Was literally just thinking about getting some citrus/acidic food to get a patina going. So far just some pine sap seems to have done a little something here and there.
So should I get another cause I am in total agreement with you.
I have a 2016 RW which I love (Handle!!). Was just thinking this morning how the Mega is heavier yet may feel lighter?! More testing needed :). I think I like the MRW handle even more. Seems thinner around the index finger than the 2016 and I love it. The rounded edges...wow. Never held any Nuclear MeltDown knives but I'm guessing it is similar.
Now should I order a Green Canvas/Desert Sage!?

Logging in this morning I was still torn between swamp comp with black/tan g-10, and, just as you said, green canvas/desert sage.
As mentioned, the machining on the naked steel is beautiful. Mostly I’d just like to better see the grind transition at the curve of the blade. That grind is art!

In the end I think coated won out just on the basic principle that it’s another layer to wear out before I get into the steel. And I do love how it smooths out with use, stropping, etc.
The green canvas and desert sage combo would be flat sexy. And if I was going for a collection piece that’s what I’d get. Or the comp/blk/tan g10 lol.

At the end of the day I just like this knife so much I wanted a spare. So back to the muddy/tan I ordered before lol.

By the by, I’ve got a NMFSH, maroon g-10 and desert sage. Great looking knife, but black water and blood have really stained the coating. I have thought about stripping it down, open to any advice on that!

Logging in this morning I was still torn between swamp comp with black/tan g-10, and, just as you said, green canvas/desert sage.
As mentioned, the machining on the naked steel is beautiful. Mostly I’d just like to better see the grind transition at the curve of the blade. That grind is art!

In the end I think coated won out just on the basic principle that it’s another layer to wear out before I get into the steel. And I do love how it smooths out with use, stropping, etc.
The green canvas and desert sage combo would be flat sexy. And if I was going for a collection piece that’s what I’d get. Or the comp/blk/tan g10 lol.

At the end of the day I just like this knife so much I wanted a spare. So back to the muddy/tan I ordered before lol.

By the by, I’ve got a NMFSH, maroon g-10 and desert sage. Great looking knife, but black water and blood have really stained the coating. I have thought about stripping it down, open to any advice on that!
I hear you loud and clear. When you know what you like absolutlely get two. I just thought you may think it would corrode w/o coating is all. All are awesome. Actually ordered two more today.
Desert Sage/Green Canvas
SwampComp/Green Canvas
This just fits me. Thanks again SWKW. This thing is a real piece of art. This is it for while :).

Strip that NMFSH!!! You'll almost certainly find a near-perfect BIG satin finish under the coating on the blades of those. The final full-height flat grind appeared to be applied after the HT process, and most of us that stripped them found nearly none, to very little sign of scale on the metal's surface.

ETA - Found pics of mine immediately after stripping. Just a light bit of scale.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Came off easily with a bit of Scotchbrite.

IMG_1003.JPG

Looking closer there is small pitting on the the RMD predominately around the the hilt.
I do not have any easy means to upload pics (no accounts, smartphone).
I will admit more than half the reason I come is to look at the awesome pics you folks put up. So thanks again. :)

Pitting? Even some of the most neglected nekkid SR-101 I've seen didn't have any pitting. Glad you liked the pics. :)

Last edited:
Strip that NMFSH!!! You'll almost certainly find a near-perfect BIG satin finish under the coating on the blades of those. The final full-height flat grind appeared to be applied after the HT process, and most of us that stripped them found nearly none, to very little sign of scale on the metal's surface.

ETA - Found pics of mine immediately after stripping. Just a light bit of scale.

View attachment 1313317

View attachment 1313316

View attachment 1313315

Pitting? Even some of the most neglected nekkid SR-101 I've seen didn't have any pitting. Glad you liked the pics. :)
By pitting I mean tiny black dots. To notice would require a magnifying glass.

View attachment 1313317

View attachment 1313316

View attachment 1313315

That’s awesome. What did you use to strip it?

04e6c345-07f0-4b6c-a3d7-2fb7fb2a17cc

FAN-effin-TASTIC!!!

The Swamp Comp finish is excellent :thumbsup:

NS7QIqT.jpg

the Competition "lines" in the finish on the primary grind are finer than froghair, and speaking of fine, check out that edge and how evenly it reflects the afternoon light!
EZumUZw.jpg

4cZiA3c.jpg

MACRO! more attention to detail from the Swamp on the tip, I'm lovin this level of refinement...thanks M MaxRat and R RATequila ...
YOPfvJC.jpg

My family of Rats
1AbiDMC.jpg

95S0iWl.jpg

yuSr03I.jpg

The gentle radius applied <wall to wall> on this model makes it's prodigious girth feel not only manageable, but I'll go so far to say it feels ABSOLUTELY COMFY! :thumbsup:
jp4Ul42.jpg

ilvfytg.jpg

It actually reminds me of Nuclear Meltdown! Gonna optimize baton lifespans with that spine...No sharp edges anywhere...except where it counts, of course! :rolleyes:
UWI7dZh.jpg

eR6eV8P.jpg

Handles are typical Swamp Rat/Busse Combat Co. flawless finish...

AIVKcMl.jpg

Parting shot...mine arrived with a thick coating of condensed viscous yellow residue...very easily removed with mineral spirits...but considering the source, I can only surmise this mystery substance as condensed Jose Cuervo! Cheers guys, you hit a HOME RUN! :p:D
8FfPhIM.jpg
Thanx. You can't imagine the hours of refinement that went into this knife... The hardest part was keeping the secret for months while we made this knife perfect..

So why are these so clean and free of grinder marks. Do you guys have a new machine or something?

And does that mean everything from here on out (including Busse) is gonna have a cleaner finish on the bare steel?

Back