Meet The Beast!!!. . . Meet The Mega Ratweiler!!!. . . Coming Wed. 2-19-2020 At 9:00PM Eastern!!

Wow!!

I'd say if anyone doesn't already have at least one fatty at over .3" thicc, you absolutely need this. :eek: :D

Didn't understand the appeal for a long time until curiosity finally got me to pick up a thick-cut BG FSH a while back. True, it wouldn't join me on an ultralight backpacking trip, but I'm fine with that. Having it on hand around the yard or next to the woodpile is enough for me. Just a beast. :thumbsup:

For reference, the fat BG FSH is spec'd at .3125" and weighs ~28oz* (still under 2lbs) with a blade just over 8" long. Probably not a bad starting point for guesses on the Mega Ratweiler.

*analog scale measurement. Batts on my digital scale are dead atm.
Dang it. I think you talked me into it. Lol! I think I'm going to go against my first instinct though and order coated instead of comp. I'm digging the logo and I want to etch it deeper than what would come on a comp blade. That way it can survive any bead blasting and/or sanding touch-ups.

I’m probably gonna be kicking myself for not getting in on the discount, but I’m gonna have to wait and see how these are.

Swamp guys should designate one for a passaround and let us beat the crap out of it!

My NMFSH at .32 is a monster !! And with its FFG has a very nice edge. So this ratnosaur monster at .35 multi grind should be very nice :)

Let’s see some more pics of that beast!
Please:D
Oh and when is it available????

agreed on all fronts there... It's be interesting to hear about the actual weight of the blade. If they can get a similar total mass as a 0.25" knife, but put it all in the thick spine with the hollow grind, I can see this thing chopping and biting DEEP (combo of weight far behind edge and shallow primary grind angle). That would be cool... But if it's too heavy, I dunno...

But I'm certainly interested in what's gonna happen. Maybe M MaxRat and/or R RATequila can shed some light on their testing and their design, grind, weight distribution, etc!
All I can say at this point is this knife will do it all. Because of the design and grind this knife will slice like a chef's knife, chop like a machete, and split like a camp ax or hatchet... We're going to work on stills and videos today so hopefully we will have forum quality material by the of the day... We already have a lot of footage from our testing before but I forgot to comb my hair so we have to start over...

I’m probably gonna be kicking myself for not getting in on the discount, but I’m gonna have to wait and see how these are.

Swamp guys should designate one for a passaround and let us beat the crap out of it!
Snooze, you lose... My take on this knife, granted I'm just a little partial, is that if I had one knife to take into the woods that I was dependent on this would be that knife. I've hunted bear in Canada and moose and wolves in Alberta so I know how important good steel is. My first trip to Alberta I was 8 hours by horseback into the foothills of the Canadian Rockies. Our base camp was tents we packed in on pack horses. My first day out was like being in a swamp because it rained al day... At noon my guide got his folding saw out of his saddlebag and started cutting 12" pieces out of a 4" diameter snag... (weathered tree that was leaning). He tossed me the pieces and ask if I could split them because we were in desperate need of a fire... As I was batoning the second piece of wood when I broke 3" off the end of what I thought was a quality knife. I was so upset that that knife is still in Alberta... This knife, my friendly swamp dwellers, will not let you down when you need it...

My thoughts upon pouring through the literature and pics...

- Ratweiler handle seems better suited IMO to larger blade on MEGA, both longer and wider (appears) than standard Ratweiler shape.
- Grind hybrid seems interesting, though I cannot fathom how it is done and the pics do not really show this well (Can we get a close up of the primary bevel?).
- Swamp Comp is an answer to what I've been asking for years now on the forum, nekkid SR-101 from the factory. Thought we would never see the day quite frankly, can't help but wonder though if this will be featured as a permanent fixture? (Please, please, please.... I cannot stand the coatings and rust on these knives is purely cosmetic issue for some!)
- .350" is thicker than anything I have handled/used. Should make a good chopper, though I am quite skeptical of the claims of it slicing like a chef's knife... not like my Japanese Chef's knife anyway as it's quite thin behind the edge (critical).
- Is it so much to ask for a weight spec on these knives? I fully realize finished product could vary, but still would be nice to know what you are signing up for in the heft department with an * stating weight varies slightly. I can only imagine this thing is over 2 lbs, I would be shocked if it was anything less... which puts weight/thickness right in that camp axe department for splitting so no doubts there to your claims.
- Cannot help but think that these 1/3"+ thick blades all require some light brigade treatment under the handles, this greatly improves both the rotational velocity of the knife and general handling/performance qualities, ASHBM was a great example of 1/3" thick big blade that had lively handling though it seems the fatties never get this treatment since ASHBM.
- 8" knives just seem to make great chopping knives without inducing as much fatigue to the user, just my thoughts others may disagree... but it is a sweet spot for all around use for sure.

Back