Meet the MEGA Swamp Warden.... Going Live Wednesday March 18th 2020 @9:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

Finally received my mischief of MEGA Wardens! :thumbsup: Oh boy, these little beasts are wicked cool! :cool: Can't wait to really put them through their paces. Hope I can order some more in the future. :)

Palmolive dishwashing soap worked for getting the sticky/stinky coating off mine.
But I AM eager to see what it looks like coming out of a dishwasher... hope the dishwasher fares better than my John Deere did.

pNa9tqD.jpg

9HBRxZY.jpg

wzGHnbS.jpg

Here's my mischief of chubby Rats. :D :cool: Less talk, moar pics. ;)

IMG_5526.jpg

Muddy Brown
IMG_5527.jpg

Forest Green
IMG_5528.jpg

Black
IMG_5529.jpg

Swamp Comp (still has the factory protectant on it)
IMG_5530.jpg

Swamp Comp after a good scrub, then a nice, long, warm vinegar bath last night
IMG_5532.jpg

I darkened the exposure on this pic to make it look more like it does in person.
IMG_5531.jpg

A couple of my user comp finish in the Danny sheath:

IMG_5533.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

The vinegar patina turned out interesting. I've noticed that the more recent SR-101 doesn't get the black/gray patina of old, it has more brown in it. It gives the look of a case-hardened revolver. I can live with that. :D :cool:

ETA - In case you're wondering how I did this, it's pretty simple. Start off by scrubbing the blade down with warm water and Dawn dish soap. Dry it off and soak/scrub it with acetone. This cleans and degreases it.

Next, fill a pot or pan with enough white vinegar to cover the blade. I laid a couple zip ties in the bottom to keep the blade from sitting right on the surface of the pan, to keep it mostly exposed to the vinegar. Heat the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat, so it's just barely steaming. Once the metal heats up to the same temperature, it will bubble profusely in the vinegar as the reaction takes place. Leave it in the vinegar for about 5-6 minutes, turning it over regularly.

Remove the blade from the vinegar. It will be jet black at this point (I wish it stayed looking like this), but that's just the carbon built up on the surface. Take it to the sink, and scrub the carbon off with a brush or sponge under running water. Dry the blade off and return it to the warm vinegar bath. Repeat this process however many times until you get the desired look. I did it 3 times and the patina on mine is a nice medium grey/brown with almost some hints of olive green. It's a bit splotchy for some reason (I've never encountered this using this same process many times before, no clue why), but as I mentioned earlier, it looks a lot like a case hardened antique revolver, and I cannot for the life of me get this to show up in the photos properly. HTH. :)

ETA2 - Another thing to note, this changes the feel of the metal's surface too. It goes from smooth and slick to a slightly matte, bead-blasted feel. It holds oil well though, and I do recommend a light wipe-down with some mineral oil.

Last edited:
Got mine too...it’s an interesting beast! IDK if I’ll keep her...may go in a get home bag in the car. The sheath is nice and fits my two Joe Watson Magnis which is a nice bonus.

Here's my mischief of chubby Rats. :D :cool: Less talk, moar pics. ;)

View attachment 1353463

Muddy Brown
View attachment 1353464

Forest Green
View attachment 1353465

Black
View attachment 1353466

Swamp Comp (still has the factory protectant on it)
View attachment 1353467

Swamp Comp after a good scrub, then a nice, long, warm vinegar bath last night
View attachment 1353469

I darkened the exposure on this pic to make it look more like it does in person.
View attachment 1353468

A couple of my user comp finish in the Danny sheath:

View attachment 1353470

View attachment 1353471

The vinegar patina turned out interesting. I've noticed that the more recent SR-101 doesn't get the black/gray patina of old, it has more brown in it. It gives the look of a case-hardened revolver. I can live with that. :D :cool:

ETA - In case you're wondering how I did this, it's pretty simple. Start off by scrubbing the blade down with warm water and Dawn dish soap. Dry it off and soak/scrub it with acetone. This cleans and degreases it.

Next, fill a pot or pan with enough white vinegar to cover the blade. I laid a couple zip ties in the bottom to keep the blade from sitting right on the surface of the pan, to keep it mostly exposed to the vinegar. Heat the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat, so it's just barely steaming. Once the metal heats up to the same temperature, it will bubble profusely in the vinegar as the reaction takes place. Leave it in the vinegar for about 5-6 minutes, turning it over regularly.

Remove the blade from the vinegar. It will be jet black at this point (I wish it stayed looking like this), but that's just the carbon built up on the surface. Take it to the sink, and scrub the carbon off with a brush or sponge under running water. Dry the blade off and return it to the warm vinegar bath. Repeat this process however many times until you get the desired look. I did it 3 times and the patina on mine is a nice medium grey/brown with almost some hints of olive green. It's a bit splotchy for some reason (I've never encountered this using this same process many times before, no clue why), but as I mentioned earlier, it looks a lot like a case hardened antique revolver, and I cannot for the life of me get this to show up in the photos properly. HTH. :)

ETA2 - Another thing to note, this changes the feel of the metal's surface too. It goes from smooth and slick to a slightly matte, bead-blasted feel. It holds oil well though, and I do recommend a light wipe-down with some mineral oil.

Nice man we really like it when you rats share the tips on making good cheese.

I missed out on ordering one of these. I still have my original swamp warden and now I think I need a thicc one. Will have to keep my eyes on the exchange unless someone has an extra black one.,dm me.

I'm pissed I missed out on one of these:mad:
My new baby daughter came early and I never even saw the announcement for this blade..:(

Baby daughter is waaaaay more important buddy. I'd ditch all my knives in a heartbeat for my kids.

You did good.

I'm sure someone around here will have a spare.

I've got a little one due in August.

Your children > new knives

Back